October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Wicked Dreamer

I'm invading October's challenge thread bcuz the OG host opted out!

Since the mid-2010s, I've been a watcher/follower of modern singles charts, especially the US-based Billboard Hot 100 chart. It's a hobby that, along with record collecting, has eaten up a good chunk of my life these last... however many years now, and so I thought "why not incorporate that into a record challenge?", and so this month's themes are titled after & based on songs, albums or even artists that have set huge milestones on the Hot 100 (most of them #1 hits).

I'll be preceding each day with a post detailing the achievements of each song/album/artist and how they relate to that theme (many of them related by my own personal opinions or experiences). I still don't have all 31 days set in stone, so they'll be subject to change over the course of the first... week or so (also, no daily reveals this time). Alright, let's go!

Last edited:
THEMES

Day 1: “Macarena (Bayside Boys Remix)”
play an album or artist that was #1 on your birthday (doesn't have to be your exact year of birth)

Day 2: “Poor Little Fool”
play a 45 (single) or a 45rpm album

Day 3: “Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)”
play a non-English record or an artist born in a non-English-speaking country

Day 4: “Theme from A Summer Place”
play an instrumental record

Day 5: “Stay”
play a short song or an LP with a short song on it

Day 6: “The Twist”
play a dance or novelty record (imaginary bonus points for both at once)

Day 7: “Fingertips - Pt. 2”
play a live record

Day 8: “I Want to Hold Your Hand”
play a British record (imaginary bonus points if it's an artist from the 60s British Invasion)

Day 9: “(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay”
play a posthumous record

Day 10: “Me and Bobby McGee”
play a record by a female artist

Day 11: 1974
play a record you love that others seem to dislike

Day 12: “You Light Up My Life”
play a record by a one-hit wonder

Day 13: Saturday Night Fever
play a soundtrack album

Day 14: “Physical”
play a record that marked a change in sound/image for an artist

Day 15: “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”
play two different versions of a song you love

Day 16: “Shakedown”
play the most unrepresentative record from a well-known artist

Day 17: “Listen to Your Heart”
play a cassette or a record from the post-vinyl era

Day 18: Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
play a record of all killer, no filler

Day 19: Thank God I Found a Vision of Love
play an artist with a hot streak of multiple albums or singles

Day 20: “Ice Ice Baby”
play a rap record

Day 21: “Unchained Melody”
play a record you have more than one copy of

Day 22: Me Against the World
play a record by a convicted criminal

Day 23: “You Are Not Alone”
play a record that's aged... weirdly or badly

Day 24: “Smooth”
play a record by an artist who hit their peak later in life

Day 25: “Try Again”
play a record or artist you found through the radio

Day 26: “Old Unholy Road”
play an LGBTQ+ artist

Day 27: “cardigan”
play a record with a bonus 7" (or just a folk record)

Day 28: “Fear Inoculum”
play a long song or an LP with a long song on it

Day 29: “Stuck With U”
play a artist/record you discovered during the pandemic

Day 30: “Blinding Lights”
play your favourite record (or one that's constantly in your rotation)

Day 31: “Monster Mash”
play a spoooooky record

Bonus: Midnights
Six Degrees of Taylor Swift (play a Taylor record or something/someone connected to Taylor or her work)

Last edited:
Day 1: "Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)"

R-913122-1172186645.jpg

There are many acts considered one-hit wonders throughout the Hot 100's history, but a lot of them weren't as big or inescapable as the Macarena, the dance craze that took over the world in 1996 and occupied the top of the Hot 100 singles chart for 14 weeks, including on the week of my birth (which is why I moved this up to the beginning of the month, out of chronological order).

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 5.55.31 PM.png
Not a stellar top 2 and Clapton can fuck off, but the rest of this top 10 is great!

Day 1: "Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)"

View attachment 152862

There are many acts considered one-hit wonders throughout the Hot 100's history, but a lot of them weren't as big or inescapable as the Macarena, the dance craze that took over the world in 1996 and occupied the top of the Hot 100 singles chart for 14 weeks, including on the week of my birth (which is why I moved this up to the beginning of the month, out of chronological order).

View attachment 152861
Not a stellar top 2 and Clapton can fuck off, but the rest of this top 10 is great!

That Donna Lewis song is so great…

Day 1 - The Macarena

B3C6C25D-2ADA-4F4D-9C72-64D09D7004F8.jpeg

Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill

The Macarena was the #1 song the day I was born (8/1/1996) and “It Was Written” by Nas was the #1 album. I don’t own either of them so I went in a slight different direction. Macarena was the best selling song of the year so I’m spinning the best selling album which is sadly an album from 95 lol

Day 1: Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)

I don’t have Macarena on any format or Celine Dion on vinyl (Falling Into You was the #1 album this week then) so I also went in a different direction…

BLACKstreet - No Diggity (featuring Dr. Dre)

FD36E8A7-882B-4831-83DF-17FB4F91CD22.jpeg

Another Level was the #1 album on the R&B chart this week in ‘96 and in 5 week’s time, this song would go to #1 on the pop chart!

Day 1: Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)

I don’t have Macarena on any format or Celine Dion on vinyl (Falling Into You was the #1 album this week then) so I also went in a different direction…

BLACKstreet - No Diggity (featuring Dr. Dre)

View attachment 152937

Another Level was the #1 album on the R&B chart this week in ‘96 and in 5 week’s time, this song would go to #1 on the pop chart!

If you wanna borrow Celine I got you! I almost played Falling Into You but decided I wasn’t in the mood for it

Day 2: "Poor Little Fool"

EDFA275E-E407-45AF-98A5-71820C8AC96D.jpeg

Singles charts had already existed and been printed by Billboard for decades beforehand, but the Hot 100 Singles chart as well know it today officially debuted on the week of August 4th, 1958, with Ricky Nelson’s “Poor Little Fool” as the #1 song that week.

556F1DFE-70DF-4E1D-BCBF-C2C93F4F5C0D.jpeg
(the August 11th chart, I couldn’t find the August 4th chart)

Day 1: "Macarena (Bayside Boys Remix)"
play an album or artist that was #1 on your birthday (doesn't have to be your exact year of birth)

"Magic" - Olivia Newton-John

I don't remember liking music until I was 10 years old. Somewhere around then it shifted from background noise to something that could actually be for me. This song--along with "Don't Bring Me Down" by ELO--sticks out to me as my earliest memory of a song I really loved. Conveniently, it was also #1 on my 10th birthday that year.

If only the movie weren't so terrible...

IMG_4806.JPG

Day 2: "Poor Little Fool"
play a 45 (single) or a 45rpm album

Taylor Swift - Red (Taylor's Version)

84DE2562-9A83-4579-94D4-2F4B6EC0757F.jpeg

Remember when this album came out and so many people thought it was a man singing because they didn't realize it was a 45rpm record?

Back