October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Carole King - Tapestry/ James Taylor - Mud Slide Slime

Going with two albums released the same year both featuring “You’ve Got a Friend”. They wrote the song together and both released their own version of it. I think King’s version is better and it’s not even close lol
I also thought of doing "You've Got a Friend", but with Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway instead of James Taylor.

Day 15: “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”
play two different versions of a song you love

The Civil Wars - Between the Bars ep
Elliot Smith - Either/Or
Portishead- Dummy

A801910E-9044-4EE2-B1F9-3583858C9BEF.jpeg

The Civil Wars cover four tracks on this great little 10". But side A is my favorite with covers of both Elliott Smith's Between the Bars and Portishead's Sour Times.

Such a good excuse to bust out those albums!

C90B02DB-D87D-4025-9A20-831765A97161.jpeg

2516F6C5-9D9B-4F45-AE98-79BD1D3556AD.jpeg

I couldn't really find anything where I had both versions of the song on vinyl, so we'll do a half-and-half.

"Common People" by Pulp, one of the greatest songs of all time.

IMG_4842.JPG

vs.

"Common People" as interpreted by the world's greatest actor, William Shatner, which somehow is still really good

Day 16: “Shakedown”

02DCFCE2-FEBD-4A10-8731-F28E3C24D123.jpeg

Shakedown” is probably not among the songs that first pop to your mind when thinking of Bob Seger's music, at least not before “Night Moves”, “Old Time Rock and Roll”, “Turn the Page”, “Hollywood Nights”, “Rock and Roll Never Forgets” or even “We've Got Tonite”... and yet, it was his only #1 hit on the Hot 100. I like “Shakedown”, but I can't express enough just how fundamentally wrong that sounds.

This is pretty good timing, since one of these albums was next up on my collection playthrough. I'd imagine a few of you have the America version somewhere in your collection, but as for the Captain and Tennille, that's really for the Muskrat die hards.

I will admit that I have a soft spot for this song, and have spent a drunken evening discussing its merits with friends. Mostly for the over top muskrat sounds that the Captain adds as flourishes, and also for the fact that it even exists in the first place.

Trivia I just learned today, this song was not written by either of these artists, but William Allan Ramsay. So I'll include that as a cap to the Muskrat trilogy.

Muskrat Love ~ Captain & Tennille, America, and William Allan Ramsay

1665937561158.png

Day 16: "Shakedown"
play the most unrepresentative record from a well-known artist

As far as David Geffen was concerned, this was one of the albums that Neil recorded for Geffen that "didn't sound like Neil", leading to a lawsuit against Neil that he wasn't making commercially viable music.

Neil Young ~ Trans

1665941536927.png

Sturgill Simpson - Sound & Fury

B3CFC550-B03C-4F64-9DEA-B066DE6B75FA.jpeg

After three straight country/Americana albums (including the Grammy award winning A Sailor's Guide to Earth) Sturgill decides to go scorched earth on us with the anime inspired Sound & Fury. According to Wikipedia:

The album marks a significant departure from Simpson's country roots; embracing hard rock, psychedelic, blues, and funk.

Popular at the time but I think it's been overlooked by Sturgill fans who are more in to his country tinged output.

Day 16: Shakedown

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Mardi Gras

BEE42FC8-ADCA-47BE-AAF7-76DDE0ECBD93.jpeg

The music itself isn’t too dissimilar from their earlier 6 albums (if a little more country-influenced), but this last album features all 3 members taking turns writing & singing rather than just having John do everything (as he should because Doug & especially Stu aren’t exactly great singers).

Day 16: "Shakedown"

Cool prompt, I thought about this one on and off all day. I initially considered using The Mix Up or Thunderbitch, but when walking home from the brewery my wife said 'What about the Ween country album?' Perfecto.

IMG_2189 2.JPG

Snoop Dogg "Bush" (2015 Doggy Style Records)
This is not that far off from Snoop's usual sound since he always had a foundation of boogie funk in his music. But here, goes full-out with the boogie funk, limiting the rapping and pulling out his soulful voice. Guest vocals by Stevie Wonder, Charlie Wilson and yes, there's even a Gwen Stefani version on here. The hip-hop roots are admittedly not that far though, considering the guest spots by T.I., Kendrick and Rick Ross. I really love the results too. The album seems to be a little under the radar, but I routinely come back this. So much fun!

IMG_3089.JPG

Day 17: “Listen to Your Heart”

9D18CAFE-23ED-49A0-8CDA-590541933A70.jpeg

By the turn of the decade from the 80s to the 90s, vinyl was (for the moment) on its way out as CDs & cassettes took over in popularity. There were still records pressed for albums & most singles, but “Listen to Your Heart” made history as the first #1 song in Billboard’s history to not have a vinyl pressing at the time of it hitting #1. There was eventually a 7” single pressed, but not until it’d already left the top 40, from what I could gather.

Snoop Dogg "Bush" (2015 Doggy Style Records)
This is not that far off from Snoop's usual sound since he always had a foundation of boogie funk in his music. But here, goes full-out with the boogie funk, limiting the rapping and pulling out his soulful voice. Guest vocals by Stevie Wonder, Charlie Wilson and yes, there's even a Gwen Stefani version on here. The hip-hop roots are admittedly not that far though, considering the guest spots by T.I., Kendrick and Rick Ross. I really love the results too. The album seems to be a little under the radar, but I routinely come back this. So much fun!

View attachment 154283

I’ve never heard of this project but your description of it has me very interested and it’s jumped to the top of my “need to listen” list!

Back