October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Day 13: Saturday Night Fever
play a soundtrack album

The Breakfast Club OST
E51EEC72-7C68-4ADB-B116-4BF1E115EBDA.jpeg

This was another recent addition, my sister-in-law works at a construction salvage resale shop and sometimes they end up with some odd things, like a stack of vinyl. She just purchased the whole stack at $0.25 a record and told me to take anything that I wanted. This was the only one I grabbed and it sounds surprisingly good considering it was missing an inner sleeve.

Day 13: Saturday Night Fever
play a soundtrack album

Singles OST

I just rewatched Singles a couple of weeks ago. I love it so much, and after all these years it's still so, so good. It was filmed in early 1991 before grunge completely exploded, and it blows my mind that they actually captured Soundgarden and Alice in Chains live when they were still regional club bands. And let's not forget Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament play band members in Citizen Dick. Of course none of that would matter for this discussion if the soundtrack wasn't wall-to-wall bangers. Paul Westerberg, Mother Love Bone, Smashing Pumpkins, Screaming Trees, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney...incredible.

IMG_4830.JPG

Day 11: 1974

Blue Öyster Cult – Club Ninja
20221013_114955.jpg

After nearly three months waiting for this to arrive from Germany the tracking had it as "available for pick up" at my local postal outlet on Tuesday morning - perfect timing for this prompt! Except, when I arrived after work it had only been dropped off with about a hundred other boxes 40 minutes before and hadn't been processed. Disappointing but no big deal. So yesterday I drop by again after work and their computer system is down so nothing is coming in or going out! Finally today my wife was able to pick up the package and I'm home from work with a wicked head cold which is allowing me to crank it right now. I think this one is pretty much universally considered Blue Öyster Cult's worst album - of their Columbia years, for sure. It's cheesy and over-produced pandering to radio trends of the time. It should be universally derided as it mostly is, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I've been pretty crusty all morning, but this is bringing me so much joy right now!

Last edited:
Day 12 - You Light Up My Life

033B805A-B9DA-4C69-9113-F424E5EE1734.jpeg

AWOLNATION - Megalithic Symphony

“Sail” was a god damn massive single and I’m surprised it only peaked at #17 but according to Wikipedia “It spent the fourth-longest amount of time on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with 79 weeks behind only the Weeknd's "Blinding Lights" (90 weeks) , Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive" (87 weeks) and the Glass Animals hit ”Heat Waves” (90 weeks).” Which is an insane stat!! I remember thinking this song was the coolest song and would lead AWOLNATION to be one of the most exciting groups ever… I was very wrong but I still stand by and love this album!

Day 14: “Physical”

69A20001-3A13-41BE-836A-ACFBDD331606.jpeg

The biggest Hot 100 hit of the entire 1980s and the only song that decade to spend 10 weeks at #1! This wasn’t her first dance-pop record, a change from the country/easy listening tunes that made her popular, but the video for this song certainly helped in changing her image from that more innocent era in her career. Or at least, that’s how it looks to me, as someone who wasn’t around during that time.

Last edited:
Day 14: “Physical”
play a record that marked a change in sound/image for an artist

Wilco - Summerteeth
72E05E52-E604-4CCC-92BA-B63C2D11D194.jpeg

Being There was Wilco’s first great record overall but it was still a record confined the the Alt. Country parameters that Tweedy had helped define through his work with Uncle Tupelo. Summerteeth was the groups first great record that progressed beyond’s the twangy confines into something bigger and more profound. It was the path forward for a band that would become one of the most interesting and essential in music for the next 20+ years.

Back