October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Day 11: 1974

Terry Jacks
- Seasons in the Sun

View attachment 153816

One of those “bad” records that dominated 1974. I totally get why it’s considered one of the worst pop songs ever, but it was such a staple of my early childhood that I could never bring myself to hate it.

This is without a doubt my least favorite song of all time. Since I first heard it as a kid in my mom’s car I despised it with every ounce of my being

Day 12: “You Light Up My Life”
play a record by a one-hit wonder

Oh, this is a fun one. I picked this up on a whim because my wife obsessively watched General Hospital years ago. All I Need was Jack Wagners only charting single according to Wikipedia - hitting #2 for 2 weeks in 1985. This is also the first time I've played this, and appreciate that whoever had it before me loved Jack enough to keep his headshot in the sleeve.

Jack Wagner ~ All I Need

1665590872883.png

Day 11 - 1974

997A80D6-5451-4085-A38A-92D5E0BA5FD4.jpeg

Pharrell Williams - G I R L

I just played this last challenge so I really didn’t want to again so soon but this is definitely the album that best fits this theme. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say a single positive thing about this record and I guarantee most don’t even remember it exists beyond “Happy”. But my hot take is that this is actually a really good and fun album and deserved AOTY back in 2015 over Beck or Beyoncé

Oh, this is a fun one. I picked this up on a whim because my wife obsessively watched General Hospital years ago. All I Need was Jack Wagners only charting single according to Wikipedia - hitting #2 for 2 weeks in 1985. This is also the first time I've played this, and appreciate that whoever had it before me loved Jack enough to keep his headshot in the sleeve.

Jack Wagner ~ All I Need

View attachment 153859

Legendary! I can hear the chorus in my head right now!

The Knack "Get The Knack" (1979 Capitol; 2017 MOFI remaster)
A really solid debut power pop record from front to back and a big #1 hit single with "My Sharona". They did get a solid top-40 rebound single off this album with "Good Girls Don't", but nothing hit the mark again afterwards. The follow-up album was disappointing with a single barely crossing the top-40 and that was it. Despite having three top-40 singles, with "My Sharona" eclipsing everything else, they are generally regarded as a one-hit-wonder.

IMG_3069.JPG

M|A|R|R|S - Pump Up the Volume

I had a lot to choose from with this category ("Der Kommissar" by After the Fire very nearly made it) but I have to go with what was the only single by this artist. If Wikipedia is right the b-side is the only other song they even recorded. But holy hell if you're going to have one song you could do worse than one that influenced the entire industry.

IMG_4829.JPG

Day 11: 1974
play a record you love that others seem to dislike

The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Life Force of the Deep Mystery

I'll use a recent experience for this one. Sunday at my end of year golf outing for my league, I was rocking an eclectic playlist of Replacements, Sparklehorse, Dan Reeder, Wet Leg, Coricky and Comet is Coming among a few others....as we crossed paths with other groups it was all Bad Company and Zeppelin and other classic rock...anyway, the only time someone asked me to change it was when Comet was playing. I give my foursome credit, at least they hung in there for all that other stuff they didn't know.

IMG_2146.JPG

Back