October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Day 25: “Try Again”
play a record or artist you found through the radio

Weezer - Weezer
2FCAEDE7-BDD8-41D9-8819-C33E17309D7D.jpeg
All my local radio stations sucked ass growing up. My “radio” for all intents and purposes was MTV. I was born a year after MTV went on the air and it was extremely influential in the early 90s when I first started to explore music myself. I still remember the excitement of seeing “Undone (The Sweater Song)” video for the first time and just immediately wanting to hear it again. Maybe it wasn’t a Beatles on Ed Sullivan type moment but it was one that I will never forget.

Last edited:
Day 27: “cardigan”

6B599BB9-14AB-483F-A142-7652CDBEB22B.jpeg

With the release of her first album of 2020, folklore, Taylor Swift became the first artist to simultaneously debut on top of both the Hot 100 & Billboard 200 (songs & albums charts) in the same week, with “cardigan” debuting on top of the former with the help of the video.

I’d link the Taylor Swift Hot Sheets here, but the artist behind that account has said they’ll be updated next week.

EDIT: I accidentally mixed up days 27 & 29, so instead of fixing it, I decided to switch them lol

Last edited:
Day 26: “Old Unholy Road”
play an LGBTQ+ artist

I remember when this album was released in 1984. LGBTQ+ artists, and especially those that confronted LGBTQ+ issues head on were pretty rare. Smalltown Boy in it's lyrics and video definitely brought the issues of coming out to a wider public, and mirrored the experiences that some of my friends were having at the time.

Bronski Beat ~ The Age of Consent

1666887625324.png

Day 26: “Old Unholy Road”
play an LGBTQ+ artist

Sadurn - Radiator
68F22C82-03A0-40B7-849C-E69AD74FC3AF.jpeg
One of my faves. I don’t know much about the band other than that they are another in a long line really fantastic Philadelphia based Indie Rock bands. Based on Genevieve DeGroot’s confessional heart-on-her-sleeve lyrics, I am fairly certain she’s gay. Also, this is one of my favorite albums of 2022. Everyone should check it out if they haven’t already.

Last edited:
Day 27: “cardigan”
play a record with a bonus 7" (or just a folk record)

The Beach Boys - Holland
75251560-A90F-4562-A0CF-2B46770FBA42.jpeg
Holland is a very overlooked/underrated 1970s Beach Boys album. Most people are familiar with “Sail On Sailor” but the album is filled with really excellent songs throughout…though the less said about the “Special EP” Mount Vernon & Fairway the better. I am not sure what drugs Brian was using when he came up with that whacked out fairytale (probably all of them) but it’s an unneeded addition to an otherwise phenomenal record.

Day 24: “Smooth”

Sun Ra – St. Louis Blues - Solo Piano
20221027_163833.jpg

Sun Ra was already 38 when he was leading his original Space Trio and legally changed his name to Le Sony'r Ra in 1952. He'd been playing music professionally since 1934 which included stints arranging for Fletcher Henderson and playing with Coleman Hawkins among others, but it wasn't until the age of 43 that he released his first two albums in 1957.

Day 25: “Try Again”

Us3 – Hand On The Torch
20221027_183315.jpg

Thirteen-year-old me was a couple of years away from giving up on the radio when he first heard "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)" late one evening and it absolutely blew his mind. Musical game changer! I spent at least two or three evenings near my tape deck waiting to dub this cut off the airwaves - probably my most tangible gateway into the breadth of the jazz world. This album still smokes to me.

Day 28: “Fear Inoculum”

1778146A-346C-4F1E-80E0-81EE64A5AF33.jpeg

Probably the only day this month not themed on a #1 song or album (although this is the title track to a #1 album). Tool’s first new song in… however many years became the longest song to ever chart on the Hot 100 at 10:21, overtaking David Bowie’s “Blackstar” (and barely holding the record over Taylor Swift’s “All Too Well”)!​

Day 28: “Fear Inoculum”
play a long song or an LP with a long song on it

Grateful Dead – Olympia Theatre, Paris, France (5/3/72)

I kept telling myself, "Don't be lazy, a live Dead album is too obvious, you can do better." So anyway, here's a live Dead album with a version of "Good Lovin'" that clocks in at 16:53, and a version of "The Other One" where part 1 is 18:29.

IMG_4888.JPG

Back