October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Day 30: “Blinding Lights”

B6774875-EF9E-41DE-98A6-B7C07D8B0807.jpeg

THE BIGGEST HIT IN THE HISTORY OF THE HOT 100, and it set a number of records in its wake: most weeks in the top five (43), top ten (57), top twenty (80), top 40 (86) and, up until a few weeks ago, the most weeks on the Hot 100 as a whole (90, dethroned by Glass Animals’ “Heat Waves” by just one week)!

Day 31 will be revealed later…​

play your favourite record (or one that's constantly in your rotation)

Duran Duran "Rio" (1982 EMI, Japanese pressing)
There are many records that have remained in rotation for years, but this one has been there since its release when I was 10. I also need to make it appear once every 3-4 months during one of these daily vinyl spin challenges, so here it is. If anyone cares, this japanese pressing is also the best I've ever heard it (this one uses the original UK cuts).

IMG_3136.JPG

Duran Duran "Rio" (1982 EMI, Japanese pressing)
There are many records that have remained in rotation for years, but this one has been there since its release when I was 10. I also need to make it appear once every 3-4 months during one of these daily vinyl spin challenges, so here it is. If anyone cares, this japanese pressing is also the best I've ever heard it (this one uses the original UK cuts).

View attachment 155743
Is that a Funko Simon Le Bon?

Day 29 - Stuck With You

image.jpg

Madonna - Madonna

A random night in December 2020 I was playing Mario kart online with my friends and getting drunk. I had no idea what to listen to so I randomly decided to play Madonna’s greatest hits. I of course knew of her hits from the radio but for the large part never paid them any mind after they were off, so I thought it would be a silly way to pass the night. There was no way for me to know that this was the start of a new obsession for me that would eventually lead her to being the second most Scrobbled artist on my last fm

The Weakerthans – Reconstruction Site
20221030_185350.jpg

This is always in high rotation in my car and pretty frequent on the turntable at home - ramped up in the car of late because I picked it as my N&G AotM for next month. It's primo stuff that can get me through damn near any mood. I'm behind posting more words about it, but sometime over the next 48 hours I'll have far more to say about it here.

Day 29: “Stuck With U”
play a artist/record you discovered during the pandemic

Gabor Szabo - Dreams

I've discovered a LOT of jazz during the pandemic, thanks largely to Blue Note's Tone Poet series. But credit where credit is due I had never heard of Gabor Szabo until VMP had this as a ROTM in November 2020. Unexpected delight.

IMG_4892.JPG

Last edited:
Day 29: “Stuck With U”
play a artist/record you discovered during the pandemic

Released in early 2020 (and an album I could have used for the Blinding Lights prompt), I think Deep In Love off this album alone got me through most of the pandemic. The whole thing has a timeless feel that lets you drift off and escape, which is exactly what we need(ed).

Bonny Light Horseman ~ Self Titled

1667233422714.png

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

I've long maintained that London Calling and Exile on Main St. are 1A & 1B on the list of greatest albums of all time, and I stand by that claim. But if I'm really being honest with myself and ask what album would make me stop whatever I'm doing at any given moment just to listen to and enjoy the music and tune out the world--regardless of which song it is--it's this one.

IMG_4893.JPG

Back