October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Day 17: "Listen to Your Heart"
play a cassette or a record from the post-vinyl era

So many of these records released in the 90's when vinyl fell out of favor command overinflated money...

Tom Petty
- Wildflowers
2xLP, Album
Warner Bros. Records 9 45759-1
1994 US
$170.00$350.00$679.00

20221017_011009.jpg

A reminder of what this hobby is supposed to be tucked inside the jacket...

20221017_011217.jpg

Day 17: “Listen to Your Heart”

PM Dawn - Of the Heart, of the Soul and of the Cross: The Utopian Experience

In November 1991, the first week that Billboard started using Soundscan to track record sales, "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" ascended to #1 on the US Hot 100 chart, the first ever by a black rap group. To this date it still has not had a US vinyl pressing.

IMG_4861.JPG

Saw / booked these guys a number of times in the late 80's, early 90's when I was working at my college bar.

The best though was 4/18/1991 at the Hollywood Palladium, lineup was Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, Mary's Danish, and Thelonious Monster. It was a benefit for Mary's Danish Bass Player, and one of the few Pauls Boutique era shows for the Beasties.

Back to Thelonious Monster though - the shows were wild punk/funk affairs with 3-4 guitarists on stage, and Bob Forrest was at the center of it going down a dark hole, and somehow he crawled back out of it to become a rehab counselor and the subject of a documentary.

Thelonious Monster ~ Next Saturday Afternoon

1666022584529.png

Saw / booked these guys a number of times in the late 80's, early 90's when I was working at my college bar.

The best though was 4/18/1991 at the Hollywood Palladium, lineup was Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, Mary's Danish, and Thelonious Monster. It was a benefit for Mary's Danish Bass Player, and one of the few Pauls Boutique era shows for the Beasties.

Back to Thelonious Monster though - the shows were wild punk/funk affairs with 3-4 guitarists on stage, and Bob Forrest was at the center of it going down a dark hole, and somehow he crawled back out of it to become a rehab counselor and the subject of a documentary.

Thelonious Monster ~ Next Saturday Afternoon

View attachment 154368

My SO is a reality TV junky so My familiarity with Bob stemmed mainly from his work on VH1’s Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew. He always seemed like a good guy never listened to any of his music though it seems like something I would dig.

My SO is a reality TV junky so My familiarity with Bob stemmed mainly from his work on VH1’s Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew. He always seemed like a good guy never listened to any of his music though it seems like something I would dig.
Either of the first two Thelonious Monster albums I think would be right up your alley.

Day 17: “Listen to Your Heart”

Taylor Swift - 1989

IMG_7808.jpg

I decided to play an artist born into the post-vinyl world who has embraced the format - none other than Taylor Swift! Not only does she release all her albums on vinyl but she will often release multiple variants to get more money out of us.

Day 18: Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814

C0CCA1DD-ABA5-42E3-A811-F07B8D21B897.jpeg

The most successful album era in Hot 100 history (2nd behind Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream if you count the singles from that album’s re-release), Rhythm Nation 1814 is one of just a few albums to notch at least 7 top 10 hits and the only one in that chart’s history to have all of them peak in the top 5 (all but one in the top 2 as well)!

A well-deserved feat for one of my favourite albums of all time, from one of my favourite artists of all time!

Day 19: Thank God I Found a Vision of Love

42556B0A-871F-447D-8E99-87281FDCD174.jpeg
(her biggest hit at the time, I’m not gonna bother trying to fit all her 13 #1s from then into a single collage lol)

One of the two most successful female artists in Hot 100 history (after Madonna), Mariah Carey holds a number of chart records to her name: most #1s by a solo artist, the female songwriter & producer with the most #1s, the only artist to chart their first 5 singles at #1, etc.

But the record of hers I wanted to focus on was her record for most consecutive calendar years with a #1 hit, landing at least one chart-topper every year from 1990-2000, 11 consecutive years! (starting with Vision of Love & ending with Thank God I Found You, hence the title of today’s theme)

Last edited:
Back