October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Day 19 - Thank God I Found a Vision of Love

34F46065-3916-4EC2-A618-1203F5AF0DD8.jpeg

St Vincent - Strange Mercy

Since this album dropped in 2011 St Vincent has been on one of the best album hot streaks in music. All of main albums have been exceptional and she shows no signs of stopping this streak!

Day 18: Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814

Melt Yourself Down – 100% Yes
20221020_173439.jpg

I came into these guys because Shabaka Hutchings played on their first two studio albums, which were wild and fun affairs that got a lot of play around here, but I don't think they truly prepared me for the band's Decca debut. They massively outdid themselves with 100% Yes - it's banger after banger! Their most recent album finds them back in the category of really good albums, but this one is absolutely great. Which makes it extra hilarious and silly that I didn't have it in the collection until yesterday.

Interestingly the single for "Born in a Manor" off this album is labelled as featuring Shabaka Hutchings but on the album itself he is completely uncredited (not even mentioned in the thank yous!). But I know of at least three other albums on which he plays uncredited, so it isn't overly surprising beyond the initial "huh!" moment.

Day 21: “Unchained Melody”

DE5AABD6-1BAB-4B95-8E2A-F6D1EB32E5E9.jpeg

A top 5 hit in 1965, it’s popularity was revived in 1990 by a little film called Ghost. You may have heard of it…

That scene led to the song gaining more radio airplay (helping it to top the Adult Contemporary chart), but wasn’t able to be re-released outside of a 7” because of licensing issues, so the Righteous Brothers ended up re-recording it. The sales of the re-recorded cassingle with the radio spins of the original version led to both versions charting on the Hot 100 at the same time (with both versions in the top 20 together for one week)!

1ECBBBAB-CA4A-4D8D-BCDE-D0ED75857B8E.jpeg

That made the Righteous Brothers the first (and only, as far as I know) act to have two versions of the same song in the top 20 at the same time! If only they were able to re-release the original version on cassette, it could’ve gone top 10 again…​

View attachment 154730

A top 5 hit in 1965, it’s popularity was revived in 1990 by a little film called Ghost. You may have heard of it…

That scene led to the song gaining more radio airplay (helping it to top the Adult Contemporary chart), but wasn’t able to be re-released outside of a 7” because of licensing issues, so the Righteous Brothers ended up re-recording it. The sales of the re-recorded cassingle with the radio spins of the original version led to both versions charting on the Hot 100 at the same time (with both versions in the top 20 together for one week)!

View attachment 154732

That made the Righteous Brothers the first (and only, as far as I know) act to have two versions of the same song in the top 20 at the same time! If only they were able to re-release the original version on cassette, it could’ve gone top 10 again…​

Oops. So I saw Ghost and assumed it was soundtrack day (even though we already did that) so here is a bonus spin for that day…

Bill Medley & Diana Warnes - (I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life”
A488AC04-27F5-4F4B-97E5-16958549535C.jpeg

play a record you have more than one copy of

Besides being a big fan of the original movie, I think my obsession with Tron Legacy began with the 2010 San Diego Comic Con. Disney had a panel for the movie - my kids and I were there - and they recorded audio with the audience for the big arena / lightbike scene, along with showing some clips from the then upcoming movie. We also got to go to an offsite installation which was setup as Flynns arcade, complete with a moving Tron video game machine that brought you back into the End of Line club, which was the first place they were playing the Daft Punk soundtrack. Overall a really cool experience for us. Somehow that meant I ended up with a number of variations on the soundtrack. The "Translucence" single plus the Original and Mondo versions of the soundtrack.

Daft Punk ~ Tron Legacy

1666377495743.png

play a record you have more than one copy of

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

I've been looking for an excuse to revisit this classic. I still have the old beat up bargain bin copy I used for years before upgrading to the Bernie Grundman masters. I was one of those guys with multiple Pink Floyd posters on his dorm room walls...always brings me back. :)

IMG_4868.JPG

Back