October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Day 16: “Shakedown”
play the most unrepresentative record from a well-known artist

Bob Dylan - Self Portrait
56DBA0C7-BA69-4B12-9208-392E36D9D438.jpeg

This is an outlier album by Dylan. It’s not very well regarded by fans or critics alike. It is a hodgepodge collection of songs (covers, live versions, instrumentals. Heck, the first track doesn’t feature any Dylan vocals at all). It’s tough to say if Bobby D was lacking inspiration, disillusioned with the music scene, or just fucking about but for the first time in his career he didn’t have much worth saying.

Day 19: Thank God I Found a Vision of Love
play an artist with a hot streak of multiple albums or singles

Elvis Costello "Armed Forces" (1979 Radar Records; 2010 MOFI remaster)
In my opinion, Elvis Costello has an impeccable run of 5 albums, with debut My Aim Is True, and then This Year's Model, Armed Forces, Get Happy!!! and Trust.

IMG_3097.JPG

play an artist with a hot streak of multiple albums or singles

The National - Sleep Well Beast

IMG_7569.jpg

The National have a stretch of five albums from Alligator to Sleep Well Beast that is just fantastic. You could tell me any of those five albums is your favorite and I'd be hard pressed to argue with you.

Day 17: “Listen to Your Heart”
play a cassette or a record from the post-vinyl era

Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow (1996)

1941925C-AF44-4AE7-8062-7D34B26F042C.jpeg

Her “alternative” album was her best. Remember the drama about her singing about kids buying guns at Walmart and they refused to sell this album until she changed the lyric?

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Maryb/w Born on the Bayou

138FF077-7B92-4ACE-A081-9070E63ED8BE.jpeg

The start of what would become 9 consecutive top 10 hits for CCR, 5 of which reached #2, giving them the record for most #2 hits without ever reaching #1!

Day 18 - Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814

336CD653-3C7B-4B4F-BC44-19C0ECF61C6B.jpeg

Billy Joel - The Stranger

Albums like this, Thriller and Rumours really fascinate me. They really could be consider Greatest Hits albums in and of them selves because they are filled back to front with a large portion of the artists best songs

Day 20: Ice Ice Baby

06DD16D6-217A-40EA-AC04-F5BAF78B732D.jpeg

The first Hip-Hop song to reach #1. …yep, really.

Not the first #1 hit to feature rapping (“Rapture” by Blondie), but it is still the first full-fledged hip-hop song to ever reach the top of the pop chart. A hip-hop song by a Black act wouldn’t reach #1 for another year (“Set Adrift on Memory Bliss” by PM Dawn) and it would take until ‘96 for an explicit rap song to hit the top (the double-sided hit of “How Do U Want It” & “California Love” by 2Pac).

Last edited:
Back