October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

I didn't want to speak for you but will confirm that the new pressing sounds amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on San Francisco Days!

Oh I know, that new pressing is amazing! I've been telling anyone that wants to hear... :LOL: . It's so good that it makes me curious how the old copies sound. These old copies would have to be bonkers good to beat this.

E8EB7A5B-470C-4BF6-827C-5FF1AC4F32B0.jpeg

Michael Jackson - Bad

The other week I was wondering why I didn’t own this album yet to complete the Michael/Quincy trilogy so I went out today to get it. Michael gets a lot of love as the King of Pop but we really should give Quincy more credit for his hand in these albums/hits

Edit: Whoops this is supposed to be in the What’s Spinning Thread, but tomorrow’s theme has to do with MJ so I guess it fits lol

Last edited:
Day 23: “You Are Not Alone”

CAEA6BC8-75EA-42CB-98DE-2965DB197301.jpeg

The first song to debut on the Hot 100 chart all the way up at #1, something that happens with big name stars so often now that it’s even not an achievement anymore.

There’s a good chance you already know the context surrounding this song and how it relates to Michael at that point in his life (not to mention the guy who wrote & produced that song for him). On the off-chance you don’t, however, enjoy this review of the song from Tom Breihan of Stereogum bcuz I don’t feel like getting into it myself:

The Number Ones: Michael Jackson’s “You Are Not Alone”

Last edited:
Day 23 - You Are Not Alone

0E1B8F12-2CF8-4D8B-8958-3487195596C6.jpeg

Matt and Kim - Grand

I don’t think this album aged that poorly but there is one lyric that makes me really uncomfortable in the age of “Me Too”. During “I’ll Take Us Home” Matt sings “
Red lights can mean go
I will take us home” and I doubt he means anything bad by it but every time I hear I get alittle uncomfortable because that sounds like he’s taking advantage of someone who told him to stop . Still love the album though but this one lyrics always sticks out to me for the wrong reasons

Day 23: "You Are Not Alone"
play a record that's aged... weirdly or badly

Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" (1985 Vertigo; 2015 MOFI reissue)
"Money For Nothing" and its lyric trying to point out effeminate rockers aged very badly. Other big culprits for me are songs by a western artist with an ethnic theme, especially if the song also has some ethnic inflection in its music - I'm thing Carl Douglas' "Kung Fu Fighting", Bowie & Iggy Pop's "China Girl", Genesis' "Illegal Alien" and the like. There were many. These songs didn't necessarily have ill intent, but they didn't age well.

IMG_3112.JPG

Day 22: Me Against the World
play a record by a convicted criminal

Mike Ness has had a couple of stints in prison (and definitely a Me Against the World attitude), but rehab has thankfully kept him clean and out for a number of years now. Looking forward to seeing these guys next month.

Social Distortion ~ Social Distortion

1666544295745.png

Day 23: "You Are Not Alone"
play a record that's aged... weirdly or badly

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Jacksonville City Nights

54E6A465-2F0A-466E-A15A-7705B0AF62B7.jpeg

Literally the day I received this in the mail, all the terrible things about Ryan Adams were announced and I only played this mayyyybe once(?) until today. I really loved this record but yeah, it’s hard to really enjoy it.

Day 24: “Smooth”

D9AE7475-8018-4B54-9E4C-7E3BB207E590.jpeg

Santana (both the band & Carlos himself) already had a long & successful career in the 30 years prior to "Smooth", with hits like "Evil Ways", "Black Magic Woman" & "Oye Como Va", but "Smooth" was their first (of 2) songs to go #1 and went on to become the biggest group hit in Hot 100 history so far (still in the top 5 biggest hits overall)!

Have some catching up to do today....

Day 22: Me Against the World
play a record by a convicted criminal

The Blues Brothers - The Blues Brothers Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Jake Blues was sent to prison after trying to rob a gas station to pay the band. Upon his release he and his brother, Elwood, embarked on a "mission from God" to pay the overdue taxes of the orphanage in which they were raised. Pursued by Illinois nazis, a country AND western band, and several representatives of Illinois' law enforcement community (at least one of whom was fond of "Orange Whips") they were eventually captured after a long and incredibly chaotic car chase. Jake and Elwood were last seen performing to inmates in Joliet prison.

IMG_4881.JPG

BONUS POINTS: James Brown also appears on this album.

Last edited:
Back