October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Day 4: “Theme from A Summer Place”

Burial - Untrue

C82C09A8-A378-4C51-994C-D108F96428F7.jpeg

Does this count? I always thought of this as “instrumental” but playing it again right now reminds me there’s a lot of vocal samples. I think it counts

Edit: I will also say that this album an “instrumental” record in the “dubstep” genre.

Day 6: "The Twist"
play a dance or novelty record (imaginary bonus points for both at once)

Going to take you back to 1981 today, when a young pitcher named Fernando Valenzuela started on opening day for the Dodgers, kicking off "Fernandomania" in LA. Season ended with the Dodgers winning the World Series and Fernando winning the Rookie of the Year and Cy Young award.

Growing up in LA at the time, Fernandomania was EVERYWHERE, and rightfully so. Including some family friends who recorded a cover of La Bamba called "Go Fernando" that got some radio airplay at the time. I probably haven't played this since that season, but happy to have a reason to.

Carmen Moreno ~ Go Fernando

1665073045941.png

1665073013844.png

Catching up after a day away...

Day 6: “The Twist”
play a dance or novelty record (imaginary bonus points for both at once)

Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords

Honestly, this record is so good I don't know if it even counts as a novelty record. But if it's on the street, depending on the street, it would definitely be in the top three....best novelty records on the street.

IMG_4820.JPG

Back