October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Day 28: “Fear Inoculum”
play a long song or an LP with a long song on it

I'm sure these guys are a lazy choice too, but this older (in King Gizzard terms, I mean it was released in April, and there are 3 more since then) album kicks off with the 18 minute "Dripping Tap" that takes up the first side. And it's a fantastic jam for kicking off a Friday morning.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard ~ Omnium Gatherum

1666974576849.png

Day 28: “Fear Inoculum”
play a long song or an LP with a long song on it

Nina Simone - Pastel Blues

View attachment 155585

Only Nina Simone would drop Sinnerman as the last track on an album - all 10:15 of it. And it's definitely the outlier on the album as none of the other 8 tracks even get to 4 minutes in length.

All 10:15 of one of the greatest recordings ever!

Day 27 - Cardigan

225CBE15-ABAF-413B-B716-85BF5FBDF6A3.jpeg

Cage the Elephant - Thank You Happy Birthday

Shiver was a hidden track on the CD version of the album and it was absolutely my favorite song on the album. It’s included as a 45 with the vinyl version and I never want to play because I don’t want to change it to 45 for just one song, even if it’s a song I love

Day 28 - Fear Inoculum

C370E718-2CCB-4C07-96BD-9FE8BDE711E5.jpeg

Donna Summer - Live and More

It’s technically 4 different songs in one but Summers epic 17 minute MacArthur Park Suite is an all time favorite long song! Even though it’s 4 tracks it is surprisingly cohesive and the ending reprisal of MacArthurs Park is magical!

Day 27: “cardigan”

Nine Inch Nails – Broken
20221028_161352.jpg

Quite possibly my favourite snag from the first time I ever went to trade records in at my local. And still my favourite Nine Inch Nails release.
Also, the very first thing I ever played for one of these challenge threads, which I joined about a week or so in, was the accompanying 7" pictured here.

Day 29: “Stuck With U”

896AE6FC-97A0-4003-8F63-50F8B976999C.jpeg

Two of the world’s currently biggest pop stars who’re both managed by the same guy, non-coincidentally came together to capitalize on raise money & “spirits” for those affected by the pandemic. It debuted at #1 on the chart thanks to their combined stanbases and thankfully made a pretty swift exit from there (by modern hit standards).​

play a artist/record you discovered during the pandemic

Matthew Sweet - Kimi Ga Suki * Raifu (キミがスキ・ライフ)

06BDECAA-54F4-46B7-9B0B-9DAC52C69CAE.jpeg

More of a reappreciation than a discovery. My job required me to do the opposite of staying home during lockdown. They were very sad and scary times and while power pop has long been my top preferred genre, in the Spring and Summer of 2020, it was pretty much the only thing I listened to. The harmonies and guitar riffs seemed to counter attack all the surrounding emotion a bit. Could’ve picked any power pop artist for this prompt but Matthew Sweet seems to be decent representative of the genre, and this record is my favorite of his, yes even higher than Girlfriend or 100% Fun

play a artist/record you discovered during the pandemic

Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out
D950F95B-7D3C-4A45-8FE0-C118BFDD79FE.jpeg

“Rediscovered” or “grown more appreciative of” might be a better way to put it. I had one YLT album prior to the pandemic by 2021 I had added 5 more to my collection. YLT, GBV, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, etc all became a big part of my time in quarantine and while I was familiar with all of them I wouldn’t say (outside of Pavement) that I had spent much time with any outside maybe an album or two or a handful of songs. The pandemic gave me plenty of opportunity to explore these groups at a much deeper level than I had in the 90s when a lot of my focus was on other artists. The nice thing about getting into them all recently was there is a familiarity to it all which was comforting, but also they all have such rich discographies there was plenty of amazing tunes to satiate my enormous appetite.

Day 23: “You Are Not Alone”
play a record that's aged... weirdly or badly

This band was huge in Brazil back in the 80's/90's.
I used to like them but, I just can't stand their music now.
I can't really say if it aged badly or if it's just my taste that changed.
Couldn't make it past the first track. I'm setting this one aside, I'll take it to the shop.

Legião Urbana - O Descobrimento do Brasil

1FC72C3A-BC8E-449B-A1A8-81E1601A0E95.jpeg

Back