Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 46 – April 2023 /// Sissoko Segal Parisien Peirani - Les Égarés

Ay Ay Sailors!

We continue sailing and you can see water west and sand east, two non-ending oceans. Hard to believe this place is home for so many great musicians and a kind of blues called Tichoumaren. It is the music of the ishumars ("the young people"), which designates the generation of Tuaregs who experienced drought, the repression of the rebellion of 1963-64 in the Adagh then exile, then the camps training in Libya in the 1970s-1990s. In Tamacheq, there is a word for this musical current: Assouf, which means nostalgia (Porttuguese word Saudade is a synonym of Assouf ).

The precursor group, which also gave this music its international notoriety, is Tinariwen, officially founded in 1982 in Tamanrasset in Algeria by Intayaden and Abraibon.Their first paid concert was in Sebha in Libya in 1980. To the sound of acoustic and electric guitars, they carried the demands of their people during the Tuareg rebellion of the 1990s, thus making music a weapon, to the point that Mali and Niger governments prohibit listening. Despite the threats, the clandestine tapes circulate throughout the Tuareg country, spreading messages of revolt in Tamacheq, calling on young men to take up arms. Today, the peace agreements have been signed and it is as living legends that they give concerts in their country and around the world. The international reputation of the group Tinariwen goes back in particular to the first concerts in France at the beginning of the 2000s, following their meeting with the group Lo'Jo then their collaborations with rock stars such as Carlos Santana or Robert Plant, and even their participation in concerts alongside the Rolling Stones or the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Other groups were then formed in the various areas of the Sahara: Takrist n'Akal formed in Libya in 1987, Toumast in Niger in the 1990s, Tamikrest in Mali in 2006, Mdou Moctar in Niger from 2008, ... If Eddie Van Halen grew up in a small village in West Africa, he might have sounded a little like Mdou Moctar, the guitarist whose innovative blend of Tuareg desert blues, full-blast noise and electro-tinged field recordings come wrapped in some of the fiercest axe shredding modern music has ever heard. Raised in a village in central Niger, Moctar taught himself how to play on a self-made guitar, welding traditional Tuareg desert rock to his own wildly unique variations. After Moctar’s early music went viral on a West African cellphone network, the singer-songwriter’s tracks were compiled on 2013’s Afelan, his second album, which showcased his field recordings and Hendrix-channeling electric guitar style. Recorded in Detroit, 2019’s sonically adventurous Ilana drew rave reviews for its psychedelic pyrotechnics, while 2021’s explosive Afrique Victime – one of the year’s most acclaimed records – expanded Moctar’s musical palette with a dazzling array of sounds.

Enough for today but I'll tell you more about Desert Blues tomorrow. Crazy to think that even if the most isolated parts of the world, there is always someone making something new with a couple instruments. I can't recommend enough to fall into the Analog Africa rabbit hole as on top of the excellent music they release, there are always tons of stories to read that helps to understand better how music is and was made in Africa. Meanwhile be careful because it seems ocean is rough tonight!​

3448.jpeg

See you tomorrow!​

first my most sincere compliments to our great friend @Skalap !

you've been running this thread with amazing humor and great knowledge.
I have to confess that I look forward to read your daily "music lesson".

I strongly believe the album has been guessed, great job @avecigrec !
as the guessed album official release date is the 31st of March, I appreciate for @Skalap to keep the thread going, as this will allow us another 8-10 extra days of fun on the magic boat.

If, on the other hand, you are impatient like me, read the below

and run to bandcamp to pre-order.
Shipping (at least for me in Ireland) was only 2 (!!!!) €, so this album is a super great bargain!

dancing-happy-man-z6fufmmqao7waso6.gif

as the guessed album official release date is the 31st of March, I appreciate for @Skalap to keep the thread going, as this will allow us another 8-10 extra days of fun on the magic boat.

Shipping (at least for me in Ireland) was only 2 (!!!!) €, so this album is a super great bargain!

Thank you Sir! You did right in ordering this record! I am not saying you should have waited because I won't confirm if this is the AotM or not but if it is I might have contacted the label and they may have created a discount code for us but again I am not saying it is but I am still telling other potential buyers that if it eventually is this album they should wait a couple of weeks more just in case @avecigrec nailed it again but, again, I am not saying it is this. Also, if you ever already ordered the album, this potential discount code the potential label potentially created for us may work for other records but, if happening, I'll explain in due time :)

Also, reading this spoiler could help @avecigrec to solve Day 6 riddle. Again, I do not confirm anything.

Last edited:
Ay Ay Sailors!

So I'm here with a few issues with the boat. It seems the kind of GPS installed was a pirate version aaaaaaaaaaand it seems like someone forgot to download the latest version before we leave Paris... Thankfully, I can pilot a boat just by looking at the stars. Just let me confirm the reboot of the system and it will work while we go to our next destination.

Ms-dosformat.png

So! Back to our journey. We are getting close to Nouakchott, capital of Mauritania. It's the perfect place to introduce Ahl Nana, a band born in the 70's and who are responsible for the first recordings of modern music from the Sahara, genre that is now known in the West as Desert Blues or Desert Rock

"A little miracle", these are the words used by the diggers of the Ghent label Radio Martiko when they got their hands on one of the most unexpected nuggets of the African musical universe in 2015. The story is comical, but not unique. Ahl Nana never intended to release these songs, and once recorded and pressed on vinyl, the records were never properly released and almost all ended up in the trash. On a trip to Casablanca, the label had given itself the mission of crisscrossing the best record stores in the city and then getting lost in a few souks in the hope of finding other vinyls. In a southern suburb of the economic (and musical) capital of the country, they came across a street vendor, Mostapha, who was offering a whole bunch of cassettes and 45s at exorbitant prices. When he saw that they were interested with his records, he told them to follow him to his house, where they came across a veritablegold mine. A room filled with vinyl and cassettes, most of them still immaculate.

Back in the 1970s, when the cassette was introduced to the Moroccan music market, everyone stopped buying vinyl. A 7''containing one or two songs was 5 dirhams (about 50 cents) while a cassette with up to 10 songs was only 1 dirham (about 10 cents). In just a few months, the record business began to drop dramatically and vinyl became obsolete. The various record companies that still had lots of unsold records on hand had no choice but to throw them away. Mostapha had saved some of them and kept them for more than 40 years, most of them belonging to the Boussiphone label. It was there that they discovered Ahl Nana – Orchestre National Mauritanien, a record with guitar riffs specific to desert blues complemented by female voices, angelic and sharp.

TbKJHsSw-2048x1529.jpeg

By carrying out several searches that will take them from record store to record store between Morocco and Belgium, they come into contact with the heirs of Boussiphone, the Boussif family, which has a whole catalog of test-presses never released on a label and in particular two copies of Ahl Nana. By digging a little, they quickly understand that the name comes from a family with the same name. On Youtube, they come across Yacine Ahl Nana, a popular singer from the 1980s and 1990s in Mauritania, but the language barrier prevents them from finding more information about them. It is thanks to the help of Christopher Kirkley, of the Sahel Sounds label and Intagrist El Ansari, a Mauritanian journalist, that they find Mouna and Tahra, two of the daughters of the Ahl Nana family, who appear in the album.

"This is the first time we've seen these records. It reminds me of beautiful memories, explain Mouna and Tahra. We were so young and so beautiful. We remember very well, we had stayed with the Boussif family in Casablanca, we remember the recording sessions, but we had never seen or heard these records before. It's not a common thing in our culture to make records. We play live and on the radio, that's how people got to know our music. In Mauritania and even beyond the borders of our country, people could sing our songs by heart, so there was no reason for us to make records of them. It was a series of coincidences that led to the recording sessions,” they conclude.

It was through a local minister, who was a big fan of their music and wanted the family to play for King Hassan II, that Ahl Nana traveled to Morocco. It is important to understand that politicians highly valued the group at the time, because it represented modern and Arab Mauritania, which corresponded to the image they wanted to give to the people. So King Hassan II ordered a military plane to pick them up to take them to Morocco. "I remember there were only 2 seats for my mum and dad and me and my siblings had to sit on the floor, it was a big military transport plane that wasn't supposed to transporting people, so the flight was a bit difficult, but it was a great adventure for us”, explains one of the two sisters.

In the album, we find a mixture of Mauritanian music to which are added styles from other countries with a strong musical influence such as Mali, Niger, Ghana, Lebanon and even some songs in Hindi. This cultural wealth, Ahl Nana owes it to the matriarch of the family, leader of the group, born in Timbuktu, Mali, a modern city at the crossroads of African civilizations and an essential crossing point for trans-Saharan trade.

This album contains the first recordings of modern music from the Saharan region and marks the birth of the genre known in the West as Desert Blues. When you hear the notes, the rhythm, the power of the song, it is impossible not to have in mind more contemporary groups like Tinariwen, Les filles de Illighadad or Ali Farka Touré, today references of the genre and probably influenced by one way or another by the legacy of Ahl Nana.

Hope you enjoy this discovery as much as I did. Please start following reissue labels such as Radio Martiko, Analog Africa or Ostinato Records. The work, efforts and love they put in their release deserves all your attention. They keep alive music that was lost or limited to a very limited number of people and show them to everyone.

Now let me see if the reboot is done or not yet... Not yet... Do not worry, I'll stay awake and will get us all right to our next destination.

See you tomorrow!

Mostly translated from French to English thanks to Google Translate and this article

Ay Ay Sailors!

So I'm here with a few issues with the boat. It seems the kind of GPS installed was a pirate version aaaaaaaaaaand it seems like someone forgot to download the latest version before we leave Paris... Thankfully, I can pilot a boat just by looking at the stars. Just let me confirm the reboot of the system and it will work while we go to our next destination.

Ms-dosformat.png

So! Back to our journey. We are getting close to Nouakchott, capital of Mauritania. It's the perfect place to introduce Ahl Nana, a band born in the 70's and who are responsible for the first recordings of modern music from the Sahara, genre that is now known in the West as Desert Blues or Desert Rock

"A little miracle", these are the words used by the diggers of the Ghent label Radio Martiko when they got their hands on one of the most unexpected nuggets of the African musical universe in 2015. The story is comical, but not unique. Ahl Nana never intended to release these songs, and once recorded and pressed on vinyl, the records were never properly released and almost all ended up in the trash. On a trip to Casablanca, the label had given itself the mission of crisscrossing the best record stores in the city and then getting lost in a few souks in the hope of finding other vinyls. In a southern suburb of the economic (and musical) capital of the country, they came across a street vendor, Mostapha, who was offering a whole bunch of cassettes and 45s at exorbitant prices. When he saw that they were interested with his records, he told them to follow him to his house, where they came across a veritablegold mine. A room filled with vinyl and cassettes, most of them still immaculate.

Back in the 1970s, when the cassette was introduced to the Moroccan music market, everyone stopped buying vinyl. A 7''containing one or two songs was 5 dirhams (about 50 cents) while a cassette with up to 10 songs was only 1 dirham (about 10 cents). In just a few months, the record business began to drop dramatically and vinyl became obsolete. The various record companies that still had lots of unsold records on hand had no choice but to throw them away. Mostapha had saved some of them and kept them for more than 40 years, most of them belonging to the Boussiphone label. It was there that they discovered Ahl Nana – Orchestre National Mauritanien, a record with guitar riffs specific to desert blues complemented by female voices, angelic and sharp.

TbKJHsSw-2048x1529.jpeg

By carrying out several searches that will take them from record store to record store between Morocco and Belgium, they come into contact with the heirs of Boussiphone, the Boussif family, which has a whole catalog of test-presses never released on a label and in particular two copies of Ahl Nana. By digging a little, they quickly understand that the name comes from a family with the same name. On Youtube, they come across Yacine Ahl Nana, a popular singer from the 1980s and 1990s in Mauritania, but the language barrier prevents them from finding more information about them. It is thanks to the help of Christopher Kirkley, of the Sahel Sounds label and Intagrist El Ansari, a Mauritanian journalist, that they find Mouna and Tahra, two of the daughters of the Ahl Nana family, who appear in the album.

"This is the first time we've seen these records. It reminds me of beautiful memories, explain Mouna and Tahra. We were so young and so beautiful. We remember very well, we had stayed with the Boussif family in Casablanca, we remember the recording sessions, but we had never seen or heard these records before. It's not a common thing in our culture to make records. We play live and on the radio, that's how people got to know our music. In Mauritania and even beyond the borders of our country, people could sing our songs by heart, so there was no reason for us to make records of them. It was a series of coincidences that led to the recording sessions,” they conclude.

It was through a local minister, who was a big fan of their music and wanted the family to play for King Hassan II, that Ahl Nana traveled to Morocco. It is important to understand that politicians highly valued the group at the time, because it represented modern and Arab Mauritania, which corresponded to the image they wanted to give to the people. So King Hassan II ordered a military plane to pick them up to take them to Morocco. "I remember there were only 2 seats for my mum and dad and me and my siblings had to sit on the floor, it was a big military transport plane that wasn't supposed to transporting people, so the flight was a bit difficult, but it was a great adventure for us”, explains one of the two sisters.

In the album, we find a mixture of Mauritanian music to which are added styles from other countries with a strong musical influence such as Mali, Niger, Ghana, Lebanon and even some songs in Hindi. This cultural wealth, Ahl Nana owes it to the matriarch of the family, leader of the group, born in Timbuktu, Mali, a modern city at the crossroads of African civilizations and an essential crossing point for trans-Saharan trade.

This album contains the first recordings of modern music from the Saharan region and marks the birth of the genre known in the West as Desert Blues. When you hear the notes, the rhythm, the power of the song, it is impossible not to have in mind more contemporary groups like Tinariwen, Les filles de Illighadad or Ali Farka Touré, today references of the genre and probably influenced by one way or another by the legacy of Ahl Nana.

Hope you enjoy this discovery as much as I did. Please start following reissue labels such as Radio Martiko, Analog Africa or Ostinato Records. The work, efforts and love they put in their release deserves all your attention. They keep alive music that was lost or limited to a very limited number of people and show them to everyone.

Now let me see if the reboot is done or not yet... Not yet... Do not worry, I'll stay awake and will get us all right to our next destination.

See you tomorrow!

Mostly translated from French to English thanks to Google Translate and this article

Hat doffed to this Thread.
Also a knowing smile and nod of the head as our Thread Guru walks by.

Thank you Sir! You did right in ordering this record! I am not saying you should have waited because I won't confirm if this is the AotM or not but if it is I might have contacted the label and they may have created a discount code for us but again I am not saying it is but I am still telling other potential buyers that if it eventually is this album they should wait a couple of weeks more just in case @avecigrec nailed it again but, again, I am not saying it is this. Also, if you ever already ordered the album, this potential discount code the potential label potentially created for us may work for other records but, if happening, I'll explain in due time :)

Since you decided to read, I suppose you are interested in the AOTM and might be interested in buying it. No Format is giving us a 20% discount on the AOTM, on the two other Sissoko / Segal albums as well as on their No Format pass, no matter if you want digital, CD or vinyl.

LP AOTM is 20€ only before discount and shipping is crazy cheap. Discount code is NEEDLES

No Format pass is the best way to support the label and help them to release more amazing records. You can find all the information you will need on their website Nø Førmat - Pass and feel free to ask if you need help or more details.

Again, I am not confirming it is the AOTM, right?

Ay Ay Sailors!

Ok so maybe I am not as good as I thought and maybe I took the sky map upside down and, well hum... Welcome to Cape-Verde! Cape Verde or Cabo Verde is an archipelago and island country in the central Atlantic Ocean, consisting of ten volcanic islands with a combined land area of about 4,033 square kilometers (1,557 sq mi). These islands lie between 600 and 850 kilometers west of Cap-Vert, the westernmost point of continental Africa. The Cape Verde islands form part of the Macaronesia eco region, along with the Azores, the Canary Islands, Madeira, and the Savage Isles.

The Cape Verde archipelago was uninhabited until the 15th century, when Portuguese explorers discovered and colonized the islands, thus establishing the first European settlement in the tropics. Because the Cape Verde islands were located in a convenient location to play a role in the Atlantic slave trade, Cape Verde became economically prosperous during the 16th and 17th centuries, attracting merchants, privateers, and pirates. It declined economically in the 19th century after the suppression of the Atlantic slave trade, and many of its inhabitants emigrated during that period. However, Cape Verde gradually recovered economically by becoming an important commercial center and useful stopover point along major shipping routes. In 1951, Cape Verde was incorporated as an overseas department of Portugal, but its inhabitants continued to campaign for independence, which they achieved in 1975.

Cape Verde is internationally known for the Morna, a form of folk music usually sung in Cape Verdean Creole, accompanied by clarinet, violin, guitar and cavaquinho. Funaná, Coladeira, Batuque and Cabo love are other musical forms. There are few records about the evolution of music in Cape Verde. Since music is a vehicle of expression that manifests itself naturally in human beings, it would be natural to expect that the populations that populated Cape Verde (Africans and Europeans) would take their musical traditions with them. But about the exact moment in which a process of musical miscegenation took place, nothing is known.

As genuinely Cape Verdean genres, we can mention Batuque, Colá, Coladeira, Funaná, Morna, Tabanca. Other musical genres do not originate from Cape Verde, but have gained their own characteristics, such as the Lundum, the Mazurka, the Waltz. Throughout the history of music in Cape Verde, certain social conjectures and/or fashion phenomena meant that some Cape Verdean genres were influenced by foreign genres, or else, as a matter of taste or fashion, certain genres are (were ) interpreted unchanged, such as Bossa Nova, Cumbia, Hip-Hop, Reggae, Rumba, Samba, Zouk, etc.

Taking into account the dimensions (geographical and demographic) of Cape Verde, it can be said that in musical terms Cape Verdeans are prolific. The reason for this natural tendency towards music is not known, but some authors speculate that the low abundance of certain natural resources (wood or stone for sculpture, vegetables for weaving production or paints) gave space for music to develop further. than other artistic expressions.

Although modern recording studios exist, there is no production of physical media (CD, VINYL, etc.), Cape Verde music being produced mainly abroad. Activities related to the dissemination and interpretation of music are, however, frequent. Internationally known is the annual festival of Baía das Gatas. Césaria Evora, also known as Queen of Morna, has been the voice of Cape-Verde for many decades and not many other artists for the archipelago are really known internationally, except to the Cape Verdean community, mostly in Portugal. In the recent years, artists like Lura, Bitori, Mayra Andrade, Tcheka, Tito Paris or Cordas do Sol had a relative success.

Take some time to dig into these artists music and I'll get back to you later today once I figure out how to read this f#N€k1N% sky map!

See you later!

Ay Ay Sailors!

Problem solved. I download the last update of Google Maps and everything is fine. We can go back to our boat and spend the next, and last, 48h on our lovely boat! Monday we'll reach Senegal and we'll leave the boat at Dakar port. Someone will come and take it to Japan where he will pick up a couple records I ordered. Meanwhile, I'll talk about a country we could have went if we had more time and if I had picked a record from this country:

The music of Brazil encompasses various regional musical styles influenced by European, American, African and Amerindian forms. Brazilian music developed some unique and original styles such as Forró, Repente, Coco de Roda, Axé, Sertanejo and, of course, Samba and Bossa Nova! There are plenty of legendary musicians in Brazil but, in my opinion, two are above all the others : Vinícius de Moraes and Antônio Carlos Jobim. Jobim became prominent in Brazil when he teamed up with poet and diplomat Vinicius de Moraes to write the music for the play Orfeu da Conceição (1956). The most popular song from the show was "Se Todos Fossem Iguais A Você" ("If Everyone Were Like You"). Later, when the play was adapted into a film, producer Sacha Gordine did not want to use any of the existing music from the play. Gordine asked de Moraes and Jobim for a new score for the film Orfeu Negro, or Black Orpheus (1959). This collaboration proved successful, and de Moraes went on to pen the lyrics to some of Jobim's most popular songs.

Though, the album I could have picked is considered the record that popularized bossa nova worldwide and is one of the best-selling jazz albums of all time, selling over one million copies. It was also included in Rolling Stone's and Vibe's lists of best albums of all time. The album won the 1965 Grammy Awards for Best Album of the Year, Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group and Best Engineered Recording - Non-Classical. This was the first time a jazz album received Album of the Year. It was the only jazz album to win the award until Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters 43 years later, in 2008.

Getz/Gilberto is an album by American saxophonist Stan Getz and Brazilian guitarist João Gilberto, featuring pianist and composer Antônio Carlos Jobim (Tom Jobim), who also composed many of the tracks. It was released in March 1964 by Verve Records. The album features the vocals of Astrud Gilberto on two tracks, "Garota de Ipanema" ("The Girl from Ipanema") and "Corcovado". The artwork was done by artist Olga Albizu. Getz/Gilberto is a jazz and bossa nova album and includes tracks such as "Desafinado", "Corcovado", and "Garota de Ipanema". These are 30ish minutes of perfection and an album I can listen without getting tired of it. If you have never listened to it then you are in for a treat. It got reissued a few times in the last year and there is an affordable AAA copy in the Acoustic Sound Serie.

To end this day focused on Brazil, I want to introduce a young artists named Tim Bernardes. Latin Grammy-nominated singer, musician, songwriter, and producer Tim Bernardes has also collaborated with Fleet Foxes, Tom Zé, David Byrne, Gal Costa, Devendra Banhart, Shintaro Sakamoto, and more. Tim emerged in 2017 as one of the most talented Brazilian artists of his generation, deeply rooted in Brazil's verdant musical heritage. Five years ago, his first solo album Recomeçar ("to start again"), first released on Bandcamp, was quickly overtaken by an extraordinary critical enthusiasm which resonated far beyond its borders. Regularly referred to as a new treasure of the MPB (Brazilian popular music), the member of the psychedelic rock trio O Terno, sees himself sanctified by collaborating with the tropical legends. Caetano Veloso himself is no exception and heaps praise on him, extolling "a marvel of harmony, control, refinement, instrumental execution and freedom in the elegant manner of appropriate the scene". Las year he released his second solo album Mil Coisas Invisíveis but here is his first beautiful album.

On Monday we'll start our last week! It has been a pleasure to have the chance to introduce to you some of my favourite artists, albums, places, cities, musical instruments, etc... I hope you did enjoy too or at least learnt a little bit reading my posts. Maybe you fall in love with something I shared. Nothing would make me more happy. There are only five days left and it's not too late to join the boat! Have fun with us!

See you Monday!

View attachment 168038

Day 1 tells you where the label is located
Day 2 tells you where three of ... of the musicians were born and, again, where the label is located
Day 3 tells you how many musicians are on the AotM
Day 6 tells you where the AOTM was recorded and a hint of where we are going
Day 7 is about black and white but also about the cover art of their second album
Day 8 tells you were we go
Day 9 tells you the where their album was recorded
Day 10 tells you about an instrument played by one of the musicians
Day 13 gives you an hint about the configuration of the band
Day 14 completes the list of instruments played on the AotM
Day 15 Hum Hum
Day 16 gives you many strong hints on the AotM's name
Day 17 gives you the first letter of each musician's name
Day 20 gives you another ... in which one of the ... plays
Day 21 gives you the name of the artist who ... the AOTM ...
Day 22 gives you the ... name
Day 23 gives you some great Cape Verdean artists
Day 24 gives you some great Brazilian artists

Updated the hints list and added in green solutions to last hint's hints.

Ay Ay Sailors!

I can see the lands of Senegal! What a ride! In an hour or two we'll park the boat and end our journey by car. Enjoy these last moments and I'll get back to you later today!

See you soon!

Did you know?! Another Round (Danish: Druk) is a 2020 black comedy-drama film directed by Thomas Vinterberg. The film stars Mads Mikkelsen who is one of my favorite actor! I love this movie I saw a couple of months ago. He is great in Polar too as an assassin and will play in the next Indiana Jones movie.

Back