Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 46 – April 2023 /// Sissoko Segal Parisien Peirani - Les Égarés

My understanding is, by these days, all powerful people were all brothers or cousins and sometimes both.

Yeah but even within that the Plantagenets were the direct descendants of William the Conquerer, pretty much married within themselves and for a long time spoke French in preference to the local English. A lot of them even ended up growing up in England, going off to be Duke of somewhere in France and coming back to be King or Queen or whatever. A lot of the enmity across channel back then is really the equivalent of a falling out with your brothers over the table at Christmas dinner…

View attachment 168038

Day 1 tells you where the ... is located
Day 2 tells you where three of ... of the musicians were ... and, again, where the ... is located
Day 3 tells you how ... musicians are on the ...
Day 6 tells you where the AOTM was ... and a hint of where we are going
Day 7 is about ... and ... but also about the ... of their second album
Day 8 tells you were we ...
Day 9 tells you the ... their albums were ...
Day 10 tells you about an ... ... by one of the musicians​
Day 8 tells you were we ...

Were we what????

Ay Ay Sailors!

Back to the land! We are now in Brest! Home of some great French musicians and also of the most stubborn French people: the Bretons! Fun fact about the Bretons, if you go to any festival in France (or even in Europe). I truly mean ANY festival, you can be sure you will see a Brittany flag! They are everywhere! It even took Le Nouvel Observateur (one of the main French newspapers) to write an article Why there is always a Breton flag somewhere. Jokes aside, there are great people (for most of them).

Back to the music! Brest is the home of some fantastic musicians and one is Yann Tiersen. Yann is probably one of the most well-known French musicians in the world, mostly thanks to Amélie Poulain. It would be a mistake to think he is just an OST musician (even though Goodbye Lenin, reissued on vinyl earlier in 2023, is another great OST and I may prefer this one to Amelie’s). His most recent albums are very different from his early albums and I cannot recommend enough to go through his discography. Another great artist from Brest is Miossec. His first three albums are his most popular but I personally like Finistériens produced by… Yann Tiersen. They actually did a mini-tour together when this album came out in 2009. One of the best French composers meets one of the best writers, it has to be a fantastic album. Finally, even though he is not from Brittany, I would like to introduce Dominique A, probably my favorite French artist. He is a long time collaborator of Yann Tiersen, again, and released some of the most beautiful songs sung in French in the last 30 years. Eleor, released in 2015, is a reference to Elleore, the micronation located in the Roskilde fjord in Denmark and in general gives an important place to remote or symbolic geographical places which inspired the author (such as Cape Farvel in Greenland, Canada, or Otago in New Zealand). Sounds like a great soundtrack to our journey.

See you tomorrow!

Did you know?! While I was writing this post, Word corrector was constently suggesting to use Breast instead of Brest. Your naughty boy, Bill Gates!

Their albums came out in 2009, 2015, and 2023?

Yeah but even within that the Plantagenets were the direct descendants of William the Conquerer, pretty much married within themselves and for a long time spoke French in preference to the local English. A lot of them even ended up growing up in England, going off to be Duke of somewhere in France and coming back to be King or Queen or whatever. A lot of the enmity across channel back then is really the equivalent of a falling out with your brothers over the table at Christmas dinner…

Hope at least it was French food and not English.

Ay Ay Sailors!

We are staying in Portugal for a few days more. Today we go to my lovely Coimbra. My family is from this area in the center of Portugal and I spent almost all my vacations there when I was a kid. There is not much to do during summer to be fair. Coimbra lives thanks to students and its old university built in 1290 in Lisbon before it got relocated to Coimbra in 1308.

1920px-Sunset_Light_on_Coimbra_%2810249113315%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Some of the best rock bands were born in Coimbra. When they started in 1989, Tédio Boys were an amazing rock band and they used to play in the streets in concerts improvised and interrupted by the police. This same attitude took them on three tours in the United States being invited in one of them by Joey Ramone to perform at his birthday party. The lived the moment of greatest national media impact when some members acted in the "Queima das Fitas de Coimbra" naked, with body covered with blood curds and plucked chickens tied around the waist! One of these members was Paulo Furtado. Paulo is one of the most internationalized Portuguese artists. As Legendary Tiger Man or part of Wraygunn, he recorded songs with Asia Argento, Peaches, Lisa Kekaula, or Phoebe Killdeer.

Enjoy you evening in Coimbra, there are tons of nice bars where you can drink a Super Bock or a Sagres. For me, I am going back to the hotel with a nice William Fenech painting I bought in a second hand shop. It's called The Big Men.

FENECH-The-Big-men-Huile-Sur-Toile-60-x-92-30M.jpg

See you tomorrow!

Did you know?! Portugal’s first king, Afonso Henriques, is buried in the Santa Cruz Monastery, in Coimbra. Next of the Monastery is the Café Santa Cruz where you can have one of the most expensive expresso in Coimbra (beware of the waiters).

We will be sailing at night
Air_-_Moon_Safari.png

Back to the stars, you probably know these were extremely important to navigators. Navigation is the art and science of determining the position of a ship (a plane or other vehicle) and guiding it to a specific destination. Navigation requires a person to know the vehicle's relative location, or position compared to other known locations. The earliest navigation methods involved observing landmarks or watching the direction of the sun and stars. Few ancient sailors ventured out into the open sea. Instead, they sailed within sight of land in order to navigate. When that was impossible, ancient sailors watched constellations to mark their position. The ancient Minoans, who lived on the Mediterranean island of Crete from 3000 to 1100 B.C.E, left records of using the stars to navigate, for instance. Dare I say stars and constellations are also important for artists? Most probably.

Let me introduce to you my friends Mont d'Or, Maroilles and a 18mo Comte.

Also, thanks a lot for switching with me and raising everyone's expectations for these guess threads just before it's my turn, haha.

Ay Ay Sailors!

We are staying in Portugal for a few days more. Today we go to my lovely Coimbra. My family is from this area in the center of Portugal and I spent almost all my vacations there when I was a kid. There is not much to do during summer to be fair. Coimbra lives thanks to students and its old university built in 1290 in Lisbon before it got relocated to Coimbra in 1308.

1920px-Sunset_Light_on_Coimbra_%2810249113315%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Some of the best rock bands were born in Coimbra. When they started in 1989, Tédio Boys were an amazing rock band and they used to play in the streets in concerts improvised and interrupted by the police. This same attitude took them on three tours in the United States being invited in one of them by Joey Ramone to perform at his birthday party. The lived the moment of greatest national media impact when some members acted in the "Queima das Fitas de Coimbra" naked, with body covered with blood curds and plucked chickens tied around the waist! One of these members was Paulo Furtado. Paulo is one of the most internationalized Portuguese artists. As Legendary Tiger Man or part of Wraygunn, he recorded songs with Asia Argento, Peaches, Lisa Kekaula, or Phoebe Killdeer.

Enjoy you evening in Coimbra, there are tons of nice bars where you can drink a Super Bock or a Sagres. For me, I am going back to the hotel with a nice William Fenech painting I bought in a second hand shop. It's called The Big Men.

FENECH-The-Big-men-Huile-Sur-Toile-60-x-92-30M.jpg

See you tomorrow!

Did you know?! Portugal’s first king, Afonso Henriques, is buried in the Santa Cruz Monastery, in Coimbra. Next of the Monastery is the Café Santa Cruz where you can have one of the most expensive expresso in Coimbra (beware of the waiters).

I'm sure I'm falling into a rabbit hole of my own creation, but I am convinced this AOtM is by a japanese quartet, maybe jazz, who was recorded in Europe, possibly France.

I need an extra day in the week just to be able to give this thread the attention it deserves. By the time I get time to settle into it my body is shutting down and I'm passing out at the table.

You have 15 days left, it's plenty of time and hints will be more easy to figure out (not sure about that but I hope it will).

Last edited:
Back