Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 46 – April 2023 /// Sissoko Segal Parisien Peirani - Les Égarés

Ay Ay Sailors!

Today is Friday and also the day we finally get on the boat to start the journey. We will be sailing at night so we will spend a few hours more in Paris. I will be taking you on a tour of some of my favorite record shops!

First is, obviously, Superfly Records! Considered as the fifth best record shop in the world by thevinylfactory.com, this record shop is a heaven for crate diggers. Mainly focused on soul, Brazilian, African, jazz and Latin music, Manu and Paulo also run their own label and will soon have a 40th release out.

Second is Balades Sonores. They have two shops in the Barbès area (very close from Montmartre, le Moulin Rouge and the famous Sexodrome, known as the biggest sex-shop in the world), they have a lot of everything. They sell mostly new records but have a few crates of second-hand records.

Third is Sam Records. If you are a jazz record collector I strongly suggest leaving your credit card at home and to visit the shop with cash only. Not that they don’t take cards, just that you will want to buy everything. It’s an amazing shop with a very, very knowledgeable staff. If you are in Paris and love jazz, it’s for you.

Fourth is Heart Beat Vinyl. Crates are full with 99% of Japanese records, either Japanese or International music. I was once looking for a very hard to find Japanese jazz record that was reissued a couple of years before and thought they could have this one. Well, they had but it was an OG, even harder to find.

It’s now time to get on the boat! Let’s go to Port de l’Arsenal where our boat is waiting for us. On our way we will eat at Amarante restaurante. For those who prefer some quality junk food, go to O Charbon near Bastille. Very close, rue de la Roquette, take a delicious ice cream and Glace Room.

That’s all for Paris! Hope you enjoy these days and now let's get on the boat. Our next stop is Rouen! Meanwhile, after @TenderLovingKiller® suggested her as the artist for our AOTM, I invited Camille to sing the perfect song when you have to leave Paris : Paris!

Finies les balades le long du canal / No more walks along the canal
Les escaliers des cartes postales / Postcard stairs
C'est fini, Paris, c'est décidé, je me barre / It's over, Paris, it's decided, I'm leaving

Finis le ciel gris, les matins moroses / Gone are the gray skies, the gloomy mornings
On dit qu'à Toulouse les briques sont roses / They say that in Toulouse the bricks are pink
Oh là-bas, Paris, les briques sont roses / Oh over there, Paris, the bricks are pink

Paris, tu paries, Paris, que je te quitte / Paris, you bet, Paris, that I leave you
Que je change de cap, de capitale / That I change course, capital
Paris, tu paries, Paris, que je te quitte / Paris, you bet, Paris, that I leave you
Je te plaque sur tes trottoirs sales / I dump you on your dirty sidewalks

Je connais trop ta bouche, bouche de métro / I know your mouth too well, subway entrance
Les bateaux mouches et la couleur de l'eau / Fly boats and the color of the water
C'est fini Paris, je les connais trop / Paris, it’s over, I know them too well

Ici je m'ennuie, même quand vient la nuit / Here I am bored, even when the night comes
On dit que Séville s'éveille à minuit / It is said that Seville wakes up at midnight
Là-bas, Paris, la ville s'éveille à minuit / Over there, Paris, the city wakes up at midnight

À Toulouse il a plu, à Séville j'ai trop bu / In Toulouse it rained, in Seville I drank too much
À Rio j'ai eu le mal du pays / In Rio I felt homesick
Oh pari perdu, je retourne vivre à Paris / Oh bet lost, I'm going back to live in Paris

Have a nice week-end! See you on Monday!

Did you know?! Where does the Fly Boat name come from? For the Compagnie des Bateaux Mouches, the name would come from the district of La Mouche, in Lyon (chantiers de la Félizate, quai de la Mouche around 1870), where this type of boat would have been manufactured for the first time. True story.

I’m impressed. Google tells me Rouen is on the Seine between Paris and the sea at Le Havre! So it’s actually a realistic boat trip, so far, and not just a device…

I've got a 24 hr Virus and ache all over.
So im using this as inspiration for my next guess and ignoring all your hints.
Haken - Virus

Amazon product ASIN B086PNXHH6

I actually think this reasoning will produce equal or better result to my usual efforts.
Equal basically means I will continue getting it wrong. Better than could be any small sliver of meaning my guess alludes towards the actual pick.

@Skalap chapeau to you for this amazing thread.
If there's room for a slightly snotty Italian on the boat, I'll be happy to join.
I could bring cheese and wine, but probably it's better if I leave them at home. Let's avoid the stereotypical battles between our countries!
I'll bring some good italian digestive (amaro) drink (you can choose between San Simone or my mum's home made genepy-from the italian side of the Savoy region!).
Amaro_San_Simone.jpg

Or maybe just bring one tray or more of homemade lasagna, both traditional and vegetarian to make everyone happy!
Recipes-Selected-Lasagna.jpg
lasagne%20ricotta%20spinaci-6.jpg

and since I haven't a damn clue on where to start for the RotM guess, I just bring with me a very old tape that reminds me of the year I spent in France (Toulouse) back in 1993.

I've got a 24 hr Virus and ache all over.
So im using this as inspiration for my next guess and ignoring all your hints.
Haken - Virus

Amazon product ASIN B086PNXHH6

I actually think this reasoning will produce equal or better result to my usual efforts.
Equal basically means I will continue getting it wrong. Better than could be any small sliver of meaning my guess alludes towards the actual pick.

Lot of common points with the AOTM actually. It's a vinyl, these is a sleeve, sleeve is printed, there is probably a barcode at the back of the sleeve.

@Skalap chapeau to you for this amazing thread.
If there's room for a slightly snotty Italian on the boat, I'll be happy to join.
I could bring cheese and wine, but probably it's better if I leave them at home. Let's avoid the stereotypical battles between our countries!
I'll bring some good italian digestive (amaro) drink (you can choose between San Simone or my mum's home made genepy-from the italian side of the Savoy region!).
Amaro_San_Simone.jpg

Or maybe just bring one tray or more of homemade lasagna, both traditional and vegetarian to make everyone happy!
Recipes-Selected-Lasagna.jpg
lasagne%20ricotta%20spinaci-6.jpg

and since I haven't a damn clue on where to start for the RotM guess, I just bring with me a very old tape that reminds me of the year I spent in France (Toulouse) back in 1993.

There are a lot of free cabins for everyone. Welcome on board! Bring food and wine, we'll need it if we get lost for days.

cheese-gorgonzola and toma di montagna (someone bring some honey).
wine-dolcetto and nebbiolo.
It's going to be a great trip, and I really hope we'll get lost!
I need a little prosciutto to go along with that, so I'll bring the charcuterie with some fresh honey for the gorg!

Ay Ay Sailors!

Hope you all had a great week-end! Let’s start this week with a bit of History. How many of you have ever heard of Rouen. Probably not a lot of you. But have you heard of Joan of Arc? Most probably.

Joan of Arc, also known as the Virgin Warrior, is a patron saint of France, honored as a defender of the French nation for her role in the siege of Orléans and her insistence on the coronation of Charles VII of France during the Hundred Years' War. Stating that she was acting under divine guidance, she became a military leader who transcended gender roles and gained recognition as a savior of France. After Charles's coronation, Joan participated in the unsuccessful siege of Paris in September 1429 and the failed siege of La Charité in November. Her role in these defeats reduced the court's faith in her. In early 1430, Joan organized a company of volunteers to relieve Compiègne, which had been besieged by the Burgundians—French allies of the English. She was captured by Burgundian troops on 23 May. After trying unsuccessfully to escape, she was handed to the English in November. She was put on trial by Bishop Pierre Cauchon on accusations of heresy, which included blaspheming by wearing men's clothes, acting upon visions that were demonic, and refusing to submit her words and deeds to the judgment of the church. She was declared guilty and burned at the stake on 30 May 1431, aged about nineteen.

Sad story but even saddest considering people are still being judged and condemned for quite similar reasons, almost 600 years after. I still have hopes one day we can all be who we are without having others judging us.

Rouen is not only Joan of Arc though and you can spend a nice day visiting the city. From the Cathedral to the Gros Horloge (an astronomical clock dating back to the 14th century) or the old town, there are enough places to visit and things to see for today. You can even drink crafted beers in a church at Ragnar brewery.

Enjoy your day in Rouen and don’t forget to get back on time tonight before we leave. In memory of Joan of Arc, I will be playing this album today.

See you tomorrow!

Did you know?! Joan of Arc’s great great great granddaughter still lives in Rouen, at 94 Rue de la République.

Ay Ay Sailors!

Hope you all had a great week-end! Let’s start this week with a bit of History. How many of you have ever heard of Rouen. Probably not a lot of you. But have you heard of Joan of Arc? Most probably.

Joan of Arc, also known as the Virgin Warrior, is a patron saint of France, honored as a defender of the French nation for her role in the siege of Orléans and her insistence on the coronation of Charles VII of France during the Hundred Years' War. Stating that she was acting under divine guidance, she became a military leader who transcended gender roles and gained recognition as a savior of France. After Charles's coronation, Joan participated in the unsuccessful siege of Paris in September 1429 and the failed siege of La Charité in November. Her role in these defeats reduced the court's faith in her. In early 1430, Joan organized a company of volunteers to relieve Compiègne, which had been besieged by the Burgundians—French allies of the English. She was captured by Burgundian troops on 23 May. After trying unsuccessfully to escape, she was handed to the English in November. She was put on trial by Bishop Pierre Cauchon on accusations of heresy, which included blaspheming by wearing men's clothes, acting upon visions that were demonic, and refusing to submit her words and deeds to the judgment of the church. She was declared guilty and burned at the stake on 30 May 1431, aged about nineteen.

Sad story but even saddest considering people are still being judged and condemned for quite similar reasons, almost 600 years after. I still have hopes one day we can all be who we are without having others judging us.

Rouen is not only Joan of Arc though and you can spend a nice day visiting the city. From the Cathedral to the Gros Horloge (an astronomical clock dating back to the 14th century) or the old town, there are enough places to visit and things to see for today. You can even drink crafted beers in a church at Ragnar brewery.

Enjoy your day in Rouen and don’t forget to get back on time tonight before we leave. In memory of Joan of Arc, I will be playing this album today.

See you tomorrow!

Did you know?! Joan of Arc’s great great great granddaughter still lives in Rouen, at 94 Rue de la République.

20F382CB-ED92-4875-B313-83E4ABAD0B59.png

I know I know how Joan of Arc felt,
As the flames rose to my Roman nose and my Walkman started to melt.

Ay Ay Sailors!

See you tomorrow!

Flames emoji are not allowed for this post

@Joe Mac

Back