Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 46 – April 2023 /// Sissoko Segal Parisien Peirani - Les Égarés

Empty / Red
Empty / Red / Empty / Empty / Empty / Empty
Red / Red / Empty
Empty / Empty / Empty
Day 1 tells you where the ... is LOCATED
Day 2 tells you where ... of RECORDING of the ... were ... and, again, where the ... is ...
Day 3 tells you how MANY SONGS are on the ...
Day 6 tells you where the ... was ... and a hint of where we are ...

giphy.gif

Ay Ay Sailors!

Back to the land! We are now in Brest! Home of some great French musicians and also of the most stubborn French people: the Bretons! Fun fact about the Bretons, if you go to any festival in France (or even in Europe). I truly mean ANY festival, you can be sure you will see a Brittany flag! They are everywhere! It even took Le Nouvel Observateur (one of the main French newspapers) to write an article Why there is always a Breton flag somewhere. Jokes aside, there are great people (for most of them).

Back to the music! Brest is the home of some fantastic musicians and one is Yann Tiersen. Yann is probably one of the most well-known French musicians in the world, mostly thanks to Amélie Poulain. It would be a mistake to think he is just an OST musician (even though Goodbye Lenin, reissued on vinyl earlier in 2023, is another great OST and I may prefer this one to Amelie’s). His most recent albums are very different from his early albums and I cannot recommend enough to go through his discography. Another great artist from Brest is Miossec. His first three albums are his most popular but I personally like Finistériens produced by… Yann Tiersen. They actually did a mini-tour together when this album came out in 2009. One of the best French composers meets one of the best writers, it has to be a fantastic album. Finally, even though he is not from Brittany, I would like to introduce Dominique A, probably my favorite French artist. He is a long time collaborator of Yann Tiersen, again, and released some of the most beautiful songs sung in French in the last 30 years. Eleor, released in 2015, is a reference to Elleore, the micronation located in the Roskilde fjord in Denmark and in general gives an important place to remote or symbolic geographical places which inspired the author (such as Cape Farvel in Greenland, Canada, or Otago in New Zealand). Sounds like a great soundtrack to our journey.

See you tomorrow!

Did you know?! While I was writing this post, Word corrector was constently suggesting to use Breast instead of Brest. Your naughty boy, Bill Gates!

I'm in Brussels for the weekend so I might not be able to post the daily post. I'll do my best but if I can't I'll post when I'm back on Sunday along with help to figure the hints.
If it’s not Luna then gotta be
Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen

Ive upgraded this guess to my best guess ever, it just fitted my Friday mood perfectly.

Last edited:
Ay Ay Sailors!

Today (or I mean Friday) we leave France for once and go to our next destination. Which means we are now sailing on the Atlantic and more precisely the Bay of Biscay. The Bay of Biscay is named after Biscay on the northern Spanish coast, probably standing for the western Basque districts (Biscay up to the early 19th century). As we quitely sail I started wondering what would be the perfect musical instrument for a sailor?Back in the piracy times, the instruments would have been a mandolin, fiddle or the most common a concertina (its a smaller accordion). If I could pick one, it would be part of the Strings family and comes from the continent we will end our journey. To be honest, it wouldn't be easy to play this instrument while sailing but I would love to give it a try. Maybe I'll tell you more in the next days. Meanwhile, enjoy your week-end!

See you on Monday!

Did you know?! While men have dominated the world of piracy, there have been several notorious women pirates, including France's Jeanne de Clisson, England's Mary Read, Ireland's Grace O'Malley and Anne Bonny, born in Cork.

View attachment 168038

Day 1 tells you where the ... is located
Day 2 tells you where three of ... of the musicians were ... and, again, where the ... is located
Day 3 tells you how ... musicians are on the ...
Day 6 tells you where the AOTM was ... and a hint of where we are going
Day 7 is about ... and ... but also about the ... of their second album
Day 8 tells you were we ...
Day 9 tells you the ... their albums were ...
Day 10 tells you about an ... ... by one of the musicians​

Updated ;)

Ay Ay Sailors!

Hope you enjoyed sailing the Atlantic! We are now making a few stop in the most beautiful country in the world: Portugal! Our first stop is in Porto. Porto is the second-largest city in Portugal and one of the Iberian Peninsula's major urban areas. The city is mostly known for Port wine, one of Portugal's most famous exports. If you have the opportunity to visit Porto, I strongly recommend a stop at Taylor's house! They also have a football team but they are sh*t, you better follow Benfica. Anyway! While we are here, I will introduce a couple of bands and artists I like!

First one is Ornatos Violeta! Ornatos Violeta are a Portuguese rock band from Porto. The band consists of vocalist Manel Cruz, bassist Nuno Prata, guitarist Peixe and drummer Kinörm, with Elísio Donas at the keyboard. Their main period of activity was between 1991 and 2002. Ornatos Violeta, whose music is influenced by funk, jazz and ska, grew over the years to become a reference of Portuguese music of the late 1990s. The band has released two albums: Cão! in 1997 and O Monstro Precisa de Amigos in 1999, both highly-acclaimed by the Portuguese press. Actually, these two albums made the top 5 of the best Portuguese album released in the 90s, reaching positions 5 and 3, respectively.

Second is Sérgio Godinho. Considered one of the most influential popular musicians in Portugal. Sérgio started his music career singing folk songs of música de intervenção (Portuguese protest songs) while in exile, in the years preceding the Carnation Revolution of 1974 in Portugal, and is regarded as one of the genre's major figures. He is one of the last artist alive from this period. On this song, he bring three other legends : Adriano Correia de Oliveira, José Afonso and Fausto. They all four collaborated for years on their own albums but never shared a single song. The idea of featuring was not really a thing these days. Now it's very common to see artists inviting other artists to play or sing... Not so common, we even have duos collaborating with duos...

There were many others artists or bands from Porto I could introduce but it would need an entire thread. Since we are staying for a few days in Portugal, maybe I'll share a few mores, we'll see. Meanwhile, please enjoy the evening in Ribeira, eating some delicious codfish or a Francesinha.

See you tomorrow!

Did you know?! A ‘Francesinha’ is the city’s typical dish. However, it does not resemble a French Sandwich. This five-layer sandwich is not for those of you with a fragile stomach! It’s made with different kinds of meat and sausage, cheese, and a delicious tomato beer sauce, and usually, comes with a huge side dish of fries and multiple cups of beer.

View attachment 168038

Day 1 tells you where the ... is located
Day 2 tells you where three of ... of the musicians were ... and, again, where the ... is located
Day 3 tells you how ... musicians are on the ...
Day 6 tells you where the AOTM was ... and a hint of where we are going
Day 7 is about ... and ... but also about the ... of their second album
Day 8 tells you were we ...
Day 9 tells you the ... their albums were ...
Day 10 tells you about an ... ... by one of the musicians​
my overthinking related headache is getting way worse.....

here is the little info I believe I have
Day 1 hint - the band is located in Paris
Day 3 hint - 4 musicians are on this album
Day 6 hint - the record was recorded in Rouen

5aa627c70738d657d39c822d3b93259c.jpg

guess which I don't believe in the slightest to being correct because I cannot imagine @Skalap ever going to go for it (and because it doesn't even connect with my hint guesses):
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

my overthinking related headache is getting way worse.....

here is the little info I believe I have
Day 1 hint - the band is located in Paris
Day 6 hint - the record was recorded in Rouen

5aa627c70738d657d39c822d3b93259c.jpg

guess which I don't believe in the slightest to being correct because I cannot imagine @Skalap ever going to go for it (and because it doesn't even connect with my hint guesses):
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Half Right
Right
Wrong

Ay Ay Sailors!

Hope you enjoyed sailing the Atlantic! We are now making a few stop in the most beautiful country in the world: Portugal! Our first stop is in Porto. Porto is the second-largest city in Portugal and one of the Iberian Peninsula's major urban areas. The city is mostly known for Port wine, one of Portugal's most famous exports. If you have the opportunity to visit Porto, I strongly recommend a stop at Taylor's house! They also have a football team but they are sh*t, you better follow Benfica. Anyway! While we are here, I will introduce a couple of bands and artists I like!

First one is Ornatos Violeta! Ornatos Violeta are a Portuguese rock band from Porto. The band consists of vocalist Manel Cruz, bassist Nuno Prata, guitarist Peixe and drummer Kinörm, with Elísio Donas at the keyboard. Their main period of activity was between 1991 and 2002. Ornatos Violeta, whose music is influenced by funk, jazz and ska, grew over the years to become a reference of Portuguese music of the late 1990s. The band has released two albums: Cão! in 1997 and O Monstro Precisa de Amigos in 1999, both highly-acclaimed by the Portuguese press. Actually, these two albums made the top 5 of the best Portuguese album released in the 90s, reaching positions 5 and 3, respectively.

Second is Sérgio Godinho. Considered one of the most influential popular musicians in Portugal. Sérgio started his music career singing folk songs of música de intervenção (Portuguese protest songs) while in exile, in the years preceding the Carnation Revolution of 1974 in Portugal, and is regarded as one of the genre's major figures. He is one of the last artist alive from this period. On this song, he bring three other legends : Adriano Correia de Oliveira, José Afonso and Fausto. They all four collaborated for years on their own albums but never shared a single song. The idea of featuring was not really a thing these days. Now it's very common to see artists inviting other artists to play or sing... Not so common, we even have duos collaborating with duos...

There were many others artists or bands from Porto I could introduce but it would need an entire thread. Since we are staying for a few days in Portugal, maybe I'll share a few mores, we'll see. Meanwhile, please enjoy the evening in Ribeira, eating some delicious codfish or a Francesinha.

See you tomorrow!

Did you know?! A ‘Francesinha’ is the city’s typical dish. However, it does not resemble a French Sandwich. This five-layer sandwich is not for those of you with a fragile stomach! It’s made with different kinds of meat and sausage, cheese, and a delicious tomato beer sauce, and usually, comes with a huge side dish of fries and multiple cups of beer.

The worlds longest ongoing treaty is between England and Portugal. It goes back to 1386, before Magna Carta, and, as well as helping each other out in times of trouble and all that stuff, it was to regulate the sale of Port and allow the English good access to buying it…

PS: I’ve been watching too many weird history documentaries recently…

The worlds longest ongoing treaty is between England and Portugal. It goes back to 1386, before Magna Carta, and, as well as helping each other out in times of trouble and all that stuff, it was to regulate the sale of Port and allow the English good access to buying it…

PS: I’ve been watching too many weird history documentaries recently…

Thanks to the French who have always been English's best friends (read Day 6 - Rouen). Actually, if you check Port Wine houses, most of them have Bristish names.

Thanks to the French who have always been English's best friends (read Day 6 - Rouen). Actually, if you check Port Wine houses, most of them have Bristish names.

Which was in some ways almost a French Civil War, or a big old family argument, because the Plantagenets were all cousins of the French rulers anyways and they all had claims over each others kingdoms and dukedoms.

Which was in some ways almost a French Civil War, or a big old family argument, because the Plantagenets were all cousins of the French rulers anyways and they all had claims over each others kingdoms and dukedoms.

My understanding is, by these days, all powerful people were all brothers or cousins and sometimes both.

Half Right
Right
Wrong
really?

Day 1 hint - the band is located in Paris Japan
Day 6 hint - the record was recorded in Rouen registered in???

again, totally discombobulated guess, but if we travel to Utrecht.....

Minyo Crusaders - Live at Le Guess Who?

Back