Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 46 – April 2023 /// Sissoko Segal Parisien Peirani - Les Égarés

The one in the bottom looks edible. The one on the left looks like it is topped with merengue… soft yucky cheese covered in whipped baked sweet egg whites… 🤮

When you'll come to Europe I'll take you to Brussels to drink beers and we'll eat cheese on our way (we'll open the windows though).

About the one in the bottom, I can eat that like I eat m&Ms. I am kind of addicted to it.

When you'll come to Europe I'll take you to Brussels to drink beers and we'll eat cheese on our way (we'll open the windows though).

About the one in the bottom, I can eat that like I eat m&Ms. I am kind of addicted to it.
What is the one on the bottom?

I’d say sorry to @Skalap for derailing his guess thread with cheese talk but I bet he’s loving it!

I hope there’s been plenty of red stowed away on board to wash all this cheese down…

Where is @gafacaode he used to love it when we derailed the early guess threads with long meandering tangents about food and drink.
1677806211997.gif

I visited a new cheese shop last week!
086C5D1C-ACDD-4C94-BC7F-4AE09607AA42.jpeg96A9D57B-BBF8-43B5-A248-D5839EFE14C6.jpeg

Did you pick up something yummy?
You bet!
Lua (Moon): camembert style from São Paulo
Cabrie: brie style but made with goat milk
And
Bello: it's supposed to be reminiscent of Serra da Estrela cheese. I haven't tried it yet.

The shop is great, the guy used to be a lawyer and now hunts for artisanal cheeses.
You can sample a bunch of them.

You bet!
Lua (Moon): camembert style from São Paulo
Cabrie: brie style but made with goat milk
And
Bello: it's supposed to be reminiscent of Serra da Estrela cheese. I haven't tried it yet.

The shop is great, the guy used to be a lawyer and now hunts for artisanal cheeses.
You can sample a bunch of them.
That’s a career shift worth making.

The world needs fewer Lawyers and more Cheese Mongers.

Admit it, this is the album of the month, all the journey talk has to do with it's journey towards repress...
R.6d9c4aaae90d389126e54f3ce71b3d44

Ay Ay Sailors!

Hope you had a good sleep before we start our journey. Today we will stay in Paris. Ah the City of Lights, the Croissants, Amélie Poulain, the Tour Eiffel, the petits peintres de Montmartre à 90€ le portrait. Quelle lovely beauty.

If you have never been to Paris, then enjoy a few hours in La Villette and rent an electric boat at Marin d’Eau Douce. If you feel sick on these small boats please let us know and we will arrange you a cabin in the lower decks. If you prefer to use your feet before we embark, then visit the Quartier Latin, the Marais, Montmartre or one of the beautiful parks. Just don’t get lost in the Bois de Boulogne, especially at night.

While you visit the city, I will be checking my shopping list and see what I must buy :
  • More motion sickness medication and more sickness bags ;
  • Water, a lot, maybe Evian, maybe Vittel ;
  • Food (all sort of good French cheese and Cheddar for those who do not like cheese, fruits and vegetables, no meat and nos eggs because inflation)
  • M&M’s (red, yellow and blue only) ;
  • Japanese Jazz records (on sale [EDIT] or not) ;
  • Drinks (Panam Brewing Company beers, Pastis, Château du Cèdre GC 2007 red wine and Dom Perignon for day 31st when I will reveal the Aotm) ;
  • A couple more records ;
  • More motion sickness medication and more sickness bags.

We will spend the evening at La Nouvelle Seine to see Le Cabaret Burlesque. You will have the chance to meet my friend Kiki Beguin and her friends! After that, we can go to a club or back to the boat? As you wish!

Tomorrow we are leaving Paris and we will start our journey. So even if you go out, please have some rest while you can and don’t get too drunk.

See you tomorrow!

Did you know?! Before being called Paris, the capital of France name was Lutèce. It was Bernard Arnault, King of France and Lord of Luxury Goods, who decided to change the name to Paris as a gift to the world’s best Louis Vuitton customer : Paris Hilton.

Montmartre was by far my favorite area around Paris, except what seemed like 10000 stairs I had to climb coming out of the metro. Heartless bastards could have at least put in an elevator. Must be this:
a4277195473_65.jpeg

Montmartre was by far my favorite area around Paris, except what seemed like 10000 stairs I had to climb coming out of the metro. Heartless bastards could have at least put in an elevator. Must be this:
View attachment 168597

There is actually an elevator, it's just hidden from tourists so they need a 10€ drink once they climbed the 10 000 stairs :D

Oh man...we probably didn't even look for one because all the other metros had like only 2 flights of stairs, and didn't think that one was gonna just keep going! And that was all just warm up before climbing the huge hill going up in Montematre! That wasn't bad because it was beautiful there though.

These stairs are actually nice, it's been years since I went to Montmartre but I remember there were a lot of nice paintings. Then you get to that small place with small shops, the wall of love and "few" more stairs to climb to reach the Sacré Cœur. It's probably the most romantic side of Paris you can see.

Ay Ay Sailors!

Today is Friday and also the day we finally get on the boat to start the journey. We will be sailing at night so we will spend a few hours more in Paris. I will be taking you on a tour of some of my favorite record shops!

First is, obviously, Superfly Records! Considered as the fifth best record shop in the world by thevinylfactory.com, this record shop is a heaven for crate diggers. Mainly focused on soul, Brazilian, African, jazz and Latin music, Manu and Paulo also run their own label and will soon have a 40th release out.

Second is Balades Sonores. They have two shops in the Barbès area (very close from Montmartre, le Moulin Rouge and the famous Sexodrome, known as the biggest sex-shop in the world), they have a lot of everything. They sell mostly new records but have a few crates of second-hand records.

Third is Sam Records. If you are a jazz record collector I strongly suggest leaving your credit card at home and to visit the shop with cash only. Not that they don’t take cards, just that you will want to buy everything. It’s an amazing shop with a very, very knowledgeable staff. If you are in Paris and love jazz, it’s for you.

Fourth is Heart Beat Vinyl. Crates are full with 99% of Japanese records, either Japanese or International music. I was once looking for a very hard to find Japanese jazz record that was reissued a couple of years before and thought they could have this one. Well, they had but it was an OG, even harder to find.

It’s now time to get on the boat! Let’s go to Port de l’Arsenal where our boat is waiting for us. On our way we will eat at Amarante restaurante. For those who prefer some quality junk food, go to O Charbon near Bastille. Very close, rue de la Roquette, take a delicious ice cream and Glace Room.

That’s all for Paris! Hope you enjoy these days and now let's get on the boat. Our next stop is Rouen! Meanwhile, after @TenderLovingKiller® suggested her as the artist for our AOTM, I invited Camille to sing the perfect song when you have to leave Paris : Paris!

Finies les balades le long du canal / No more walks along the canal
Les escaliers des cartes postales / Postcard stairs
C'est fini, Paris, c'est décidé, je me barre / It's over, Paris, it's decided, I'm leaving

Finis le ciel gris, les matins moroses / Gone are the gray skies, the gloomy mornings
On dit qu'à Toulouse les briques sont roses / They say that in Toulouse the bricks are pink
Oh là-bas, Paris, les briques sont roses / Oh over there, Paris, the bricks are pink

Paris, tu paries, Paris, que je te quitte / Paris, you bet, Paris, that I leave you
Que je change de cap, de capitale / That I change course, capital
Paris, tu paries, Paris, que je te quitte / Paris, you bet, Paris, that I leave you
Je te plaque sur tes trottoirs sales / I dump you on your dirty sidewalks

Je connais trop ta bouche, bouche de métro / I know your mouth too well, subway entrance
Les bateaux mouches et la couleur de l'eau / Fly boats and the color of the water
C'est fini Paris, je les connais trop / Paris, it’s over, I know them too well

Ici je m'ennuie, même quand vient la nuit / Here I am bored, even when the night comes
On dit que Séville s'éveille à minuit / It is said that Seville wakes up at midnight
Là-bas, Paris, la ville s'éveille à minuit / Over there, Paris, the city wakes up at midnight

À Toulouse il a plu, à Séville j'ai trop bu / In Toulouse it rained, in Seville I drank too much
À Rio j'ai eu le mal du pays / In Rio I felt homesick
Oh pari perdu, je retourne vivre à Paris / Oh bet lost, I'm going back to live in Paris

Have a nice week-end! See you on Monday!

Did you know?! Where does the Fly Boat name come from? For the Compagnie des Bateaux Mouches, the name would come from the district of La Mouche, in Lyon (chantiers de la Félizate, quai de la Mouche around 1870), where this type of boat would have been manufactured for the first time. True story.

Back