Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 46 – April 2023 /// Sissoko Segal Parisien Peirani - Les Égarés

Skalap

coveralbumLesegares.jpg

Les Egarés is more than a record. It’s play space, a locus of musical life, a poetic asylum inhabited by two twosomes who for years have excelled in the art of crossfertilising sounds and transcending genres. They are Ballaké Sissoko (kora) and Vincent Segal (cello) on the one hand and Vincent Peirani (accordion) and Émile Parisien (sax) on the other.

In the case of these magicians, 2 + 2 no longer makes 4, it makes 1. Because what they concoct is most definitely a unity of spirit, a single and fluid sound that disdains all forms of egotistical competitiveness and puts each participant at the service of a common musical good. Neither jazz, nor trad, nor chamber, nor avant-garde, but a bit of all of them, all at once, Les Egarés is the kind of album that makes the ear the king of all instruments, an album where virtuosity expresses itself in the art of complicity, where the simple and grandiose idea of listening to one another results in the birth of a splendid song with four parts.

It all started with a summit meeting – high on a hill overlooking Lyon. That night in June 2019, at Les Nuits de Fourvière Festival, everyone was preparing to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the NØ FØRMAT label in a beautiful setting of Roman stones under an open sky. Vincent Segal played the role of master of ceremonies and held a kind of musical salon, gathering together guests of choice, among whom were Ballaké Sissoko, Vincent Peirani and Émile Parisien. The participants signed a pact: rehearsing must never take precedence over anything that showed signs of being a moment of spontaneous creation. But how to reign in such inspired musicians, all of them enlivened by this desire to converse in music? That afternoon, in an arbour that shielded them from the hot sun, they started to jam, just for the beauty and pleasure of it, and the music just flowed like a spring, fresh and limpid. It was the memory of this spontaneous outpouring that gave rise to the idea of forming a quartet of Egarés (‘those who have gone astray’). And that’s what the recording of the album felt like too: a spontaneous sharing of impulse and know-how.

Only one promise couldn’t be fulfilled, one long held dear by Vincent Segal, and that was to record in Bamako with his accomplice Ballaké Sissoko, as the pair had previously done for their divine debut Chamber Music. The extreme tension that currently holds sway in Mali scuppered this dream and, in the end, the four musicians set up their creative workshop in the alpine town of Gap. Outside, the weather was unpredictable; in the studio, the sun came out almost immediately. But it wasn’t a bland unchanging beauty: from the first notes, everything was volatile, in motion, vibrating. No surprises there: none of these four free stylers likes to be imprisoned, whether it’s in a particular role, or in a particular style or sound to which their instrument could so easily be confined. Each bought a few rough diamonds along in their knapsack and submitted them to the group.

Tempered by that common fire, in the natural crucible of a live acoustic setting, those gems took on a new form, sublimating themselves and soon providing the material for an authentic and communal trove of music–musical gold in fact, melted down into a singular alloy of tones, touches, breaths and phrasings, that starts with a motif in unison that straightway spells out the basic alchemical formula.​

NØ FØRMAT​

Here is our Needles & Grooves Vol. 46 – April 2023 AotM. I explained the reasons why I picked this album as our AotM on this post that I kindly ask to read. I trully believe following these suggestions will help to take the best from this great album. I say great album but there are actually three albums. It happens that when a few months ago I contacted NØ FØRMAT to inform that I was planning to pick Chamber Music as my AotM, they told that a new album would come in the first months of 2023. So I waited and the timing is now perfect to introduce the music of Ballaké Sissoko and Vincent Segal, joined here by Emile Parisien and Vincent Peirani. NØ FØRMAT also wanted to participate in our event and they did a discount code, NEEDLES, that gives a 20% discount on each album by the duo and on their
NØ FØRMAT pass.
If you are not in France and not even in Europe, I still strongly recommend to order directly from the label as their shipping prices are really cheap and it might end being cheaper ordering from them than from a local shop or even Amazon.

Buy CHAMBER MUSIC
Buy MUSIQUE DE NUIT
Buy LES EGARES

About the NØ FØRMAT annual pass. There are actually three different options. CD, Vinyl and Collection. All of these options give you all the albums released in the year on digital files, premium access to their platform, videos, podcats, gifts with each package and 20% discount on all the catalogue.

To make it simple, when you subscribe you are in for the year and will receive four shipments. If a shipment was already made before you joined, you'll receive it anyway but with your next shipment. CD and Vinyl options are easy to understand, Collection is like Vinyl but you can pick three additional records from the catalogue.

You pay 60€, 80€ or 130€ and that's it. Shipping is included, there is nothing else to pay. I want to remind that this is the second time a NØ FØRMAT album is picked as AotM after Melissa Laveaux - Radyo Siwèl picked in March 2021 by @Colonel_Angus. I can also recommend Koki Nakano, Trio SR9, Blick Bassy and Piers Faccini albums.

Learn more and/or subscribe to NØ FØRMAT pass

Thank you all and please love these albums as much as I do.​

Last edited:
captain.jpg

Day 1 - Introduction (aka you'll have a hard time guessing the right album)
Day 2 - Paris (aka you have a day to spend in Paris, spend it well and don't get lost in the woods)
Day 3 - Paris (aka let's buy some records and listen to Camille)
Day 4&5 - Sailing
Day 6 - Rouen (aka you'll want to see a Luc Besson movie)
Day 7 - Le Havre (aka Kung Fu Panda)
Day 8 - The Channel (aka we'll see how your stomach resists)
Day 9 - Brest (aka Brittany flags are everywhere)
Day 10 - Bay of Biscay (aka there were several notorious women pirates)
Day 11&12 - Sailing
Day 13 - Porto (aka let's eat some Portuguese food)
Day 14 - Coimbra (aka Home Sweet Home)
Day 15 - Lisbon (aka I forgot to post)
Day 16 - Lisbon (aka luckily we were spending two days here anyway)
Day 17 - Atlantic Ocean (aka we are leaving Europe)
Day 18&19 - Sailing
Day 20 - Atlantic Ocean close to Moroccan coast (aka we are riding the ba"oud"t quite well)
Day 21 - Atlantic Ocean West and Desert East (aka Desert Blues thread)
Day 22 - Atlantic Ocean along Mauritania (aka a Girls band invented Desert Blues)
Day 23 - Cape Verde (aka reading sky map is not as easy as it seem)s
Day 24 - Brazil (aka best musical country in the world)​

Last edited:

hints.jpg

Day 1 tells you where the label is located
Day 2 tells you where three of ... of the musicians were born and, again, where the label is located
Day 3 tells you how many musicians are on the AotM
Day 6 tells you where the AOTM was recorded and a hint of where we are going
Day 7 is about black and white but also about the cover art of their second album
Day 8 tells you were we go
Day 9 tells you the where their album was recorded
Day 10 tells you about an instrument played by one of the musicians
Day 13 gives you an hint about the configuration of the band
Day 14 completes the list of instruments played on the AotM
Day 15 Hum Hum
Day 16 gives you many strong hints on the AotM's name
Day 17 gives you the first letter of each musician's name
Day 20 gives you another ... in which one of the ... plays
Day 21 gives you the name of the artist who ... the AOTM ...
Day 22 gives you the ... name
Day 23 gives you some great Cape Verdean artists
Day 24 gives you some great Brazilian artists

Last edited:

Huey Lewis and the News - Sports @Lee Newman
Bloc Party - 4 @avecigrec
KMFH ‎– The Boat Party @avecigrec
Count Basie - April in Paris @CrazyDiamond84
The Allman Brothers Band – The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East @Hemotep
Modest Mouse – We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank @Hemotep
Nathan Evans - Wellerman - The Album @Souljacker
Yachty – Let’s Start Here. @avecigrec
Christopher Cross – Christopher Cross @Lee Newman
They Might Be Giants – Flood @Lee Newman
Tennis – Cape Dory @Lee Newman
Various – A Journey Into Stereo Sound @Lee Newman
Sunscreem – O₃ @ByersVinyl
The Maytals – Essential Artist Collection @cul8er
Salah Ragab - Prism Music Unit Egypt Strut @Wes C. Attle
The Wizard of Oz (OST) @Lee Newman
Mark de Clive-Lowe, Shigeto & Melanie Charles - Hotel San Claudio @cul8er
MJ Lenderman - Boat Songs @TenderLovingKiller®
Fennesz - Venice @Wes C. Attle
Sturgill Simpson - Sailor's Guide to Earth @Lee Newman
Camille - Le Fil @TenderLovingKiller®
Father John Misty - Pure Comedy @Lee Newman
Queen + Adam Lamber - Live Around The World @Lee Newman
De La Soul - Stakes Is High @Lee Newman
Heartless Bastards - Stairs and Elevators @CrazyDiamond84
Haken - Virus @ByersVinyl
FFF – Blast Culture @panino
Supergrass - I Should Coco @panino
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead @Joe Mac
Joan of Arc - How Memory Works @TenderLovingKiller®
Joan as Police Woman - Real Wife @TenderLovingKiller®
Clem Snide - The Ghost of Fashion @TenderLovingKiller®
Gogo's - Vacation @Wes C. Attle
The Divine Comedy - Milla @Wes C. Attle
St Germain - Tourist @Jan
Shape of Despair - Monotony Fields @Lee Newman
Luna - Penthouse @TenderLovingKiller®
Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen @ByersVinyl
Francis Cabrel - Un Samedi Soir Sur La Terre @Poly-Rythmo
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix @panino
Minyo Crusaders - Live at Le Guess Who? @panino
AIR - Moon Safari @Ericj32
Sissoko Segal Parisien Peirani - Les Egarés @avecigrec
Del Amitri - Twisted @ByersVinyl

Last edited:

How would sound a Limb Bizkit album produced by RZA? Reply to @Lee Newman post!
What exactly happened Saturday at 0735? Reply to @Lee Newman post!
Is Green M&M's a she ? Reply to @Hemotep post!
Is gooey snotty soft French cheese disgusting? Reply to @Lee Newman post!
@TenderLovingKiller® lost a bit of respect for Lee. Did you too? Reply to his post!
@Joe Mac told @Skalap to leave cheddar alone. Should he? Reply to @Joe Mac post!
@gafacaode is finally here and he bough a lot of cheese! Say hi to @gafacaode here!
@CrazyDiamond84 didn't know there was an elevator at Abbesses metro station! Lol at @CrazyDiamond84 here!

Last edited:
Back