Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 46 – April 2023 /// Sissoko Segal Parisien Peirani - Les Égarés

Shape-of-Despair_Monotony-Fields-300x300.jpg

Shape of Despair - Monotony Fields

Today we are in... Le Havre (congrats @Joe Mac). This city is our port before we leave the Seine to the Channel. Fun fact about Le Havre: if sky has both the Ursa Minor and Ursa major, Le Havre has his Panda Mayor with Edouard Philippe, mayor of Le Havre and ex prime minister of France :

640px-%C3%89douard_Philippe_-_2021_%28cropped%29.jpg

Back to the stars, you probably know these were extremely important to navigators. Navigation is the art and science of determining the position of a ship (a plane or other vehicle) and guiding it to a specific destination. Navigation requires a person to know the vehicle's relative location, or position compared to other known locations. The earliest navigation methods involved observing landmarks or watching the direction of the sun and stars. Few ancient sailors ventured out into the open sea. Instead, they sailed within sight of land in order to navigate. When that was impossible, ancient sailors watched constellations to mark their position. The ancient Minoans, who lived on the Mediterranean island of Crete from 3000 to 1100 B.C.E, left records of using the stars to navigate, for instance. Dare I say stars and constellations are also important for artists? Most probably.

Ok I see you are still laughing at Panda Edouard Philippe Mayor joke so this one's for you. Enjoy!

See you tomorrow!

Did you know?! The Port of Le Havre, with more than four miles of docks, is the largest container port in France. Imagine how many records must be sleeping there. It makes me want to stay a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
my turn for a totally ridiculous guess.

from the day 1 post, I jump to guessing that the album was recorded at Evergreen studios in Burbank, California.
a quick review of titles recorded at Evergreen point me to this musical milestone:

there's also a second option, which is the Evergreen studio recording, this time in New York.
what could it be, if recorded here.
wild guess/stab in the dark:

Am I going somewhere?

my turn for a totally ridiculous guess.

from the day 1 post, I jump to guessing that the album was recorded at Evergreen studios in Burbank, California.
a quick review of titles recorded at Evergreen point me to this musical milestone:

there's also a second option, which is the Evergreen studio recording, this time in New York.
what could it be, if recorded here.
wild guess/stab in the dark:

Am I going somewhere?

Interesting guesses and everybody should have a few Gil Scott-Heron in their records collection (or at least Pieces Of A Man).

Ay Ay Sailors!

Ah the Channel! I was getting so bored sailing on the Seine! It feels so good to have all this water all around us! Hey don’t vomit on my blue suede shoes fellow forumer! By the way, we just left Le Havre and have a few hours before we get to our next stop. So now that you are here and you’ll stay with us until the end of our journey. Go take your medication!

Straight north we can see Brighton, home of many great record shops including Mr Bongo, also one of the best reissue labels in the world. Mr Bongo started life in 1989 as a small record shop in London. Their recording roster featuring some of the finest Brazilian, Latin, reggae, African and Jazz artists including Ebo Taylor (Ghana), Hollie Cook (UK), Jorge Ben (Brazil), Seu Jorge (Brazil), Incredible Bongo Band (USA) and Terry Callier (USA) amongst many, many others.

I can’t recommend enough to dig in their discography and search for some great music. If I can suggest a starting point, start where everything started : Africa. They have an amazing collection of 45’s dedicated to African music as well as many albums and compilations. They also launched their The Original Sound Of… series with two volumes dedicated to Burkina-Faso and Mali. I hope there will be more soon because both are fantastic.

Hope you guys are enjoying this journey. This is just the start! While we wait to reach our next destination, maybe I suggest some rock’n’roll ?

See you tomorrow!

I updated hints post to give you an help.
I'll add more on Sunday
Day 1 tells you where the BAND is LOCATED
(Paris, Japan, Egypt, A boat named Ever Given)
Day 2 tells you where MOST of RECORDING of the ALBUM were DONE and, again, where the BAND is LOCATED
(Paris)
Quartier Latin : Studios St. Germain (releases based on discogs)
Le Marais : Fymusic Studio
Montemarte : Montmartre Recording, Studio RTM Mastering, Motorbass Studio
Day 3 tells you how MANY SONGS are on the ALBUM
(First, Second, Third, FOURTH)
Day 6 tells you where the CONCEPT was BASED and a hint of where we are JOAN OF ARC'ING
(Rouen, Ragnar Brewing)

Last edited:
Day 1 tells you where the BAND is LOCATED
(Paris, Japan, Egypt, A boat named Ever Given)
Day 2 tells you where MOST of RECORDING of the ALBUM were DONE and, again, where the BAND is LOCATED
(Paris)
Quartier Latin : Studios St. Germain
Le Marais : Fymusic Studio
Montemarte : Montmartre Recording, Studio RTM Mastering, Motorbass Studio
Day 3 tells you how MANY SONGS are on the ALBUM
(First, Second, Third, FOURTH)
Day 6 tells you where the CONCEPT was BASED and a hint of where we are JOAN OF ARC'ING
(Rouen, Ragnar Brewing)

Back