Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 46 – April 2023 /// Sissoko Segal Parisien Peirani - Les Égarés

Ay Ay Sailors!

Very sorry about yesterday. It felt to good being back in Portugal and I forgot about our lovely thread. Coimbra brought back good memories and arriving in Lisbon brought another maybe better memories. Anyway, in case you stay all day in your cabin, you probably noticed that we are in... Lisbon aka best city in the world! Everytime I leave Lisbon, first thing that comes to my mind is ...

Seriously, there is not other city in the world where you can have Pastéis de Nata in every corner, great expresso under 1€, sun 260 days a year, beaches, river, forests, great people, great venues, tasteful and strong wines and a very affordable life (as long as you are not working in Portugal). In case you have never been in Lisbon, please go.

First things first! Food! You can eat beautifully in Portugal and Lisbon brings more fusion food than any other city in Portugal. If you want to eat great food while enjoying fantastic views to Lisbon then go to Chapitô à Mesa, Lost In or, on the other side of Lisbon, Ponto Final. To go to this last restaurant, you have to take a 7min boat trip from Cais do Sodré and walk a few minutes. Is it worth it? You tell me :

Sunset-at-Ponto-Final-in-Lisbon-1024x768.jpg.webp

Second things second! Records! There are many great places to buy records in Lisbon. Most are in the Chiado area (also known as shopping area). Louie Louie is the biggest one and say hi to Hugo if you go there, a couple minutes from there you have Carpet & Snares, Peekaboo and Sound Club Store. Then you have Flur, probably the one you all enjoy the must as they usually sell records you cannot find anywhere else! If you are into jazz, go to LX Factory. Even if you don't like jazz, this place is a must-see in Lisbon and quite close from the Belém area and its monuments. At LX Factory there is a bookstore named Ler Devagar (Read Slowly) where Jazz Messengers occupy the first floor and have a great selection of jazz records.

image.jpg

Oh well! There is so much to do in Lisbon, I could stay there for weeks and never get tired. If you ever go please PM me and I will be happy to give more suggestions depending on what you are looking for. Meanwhile, enjoy as today is our last day in Europe. We leave tomorrow and will most of the next days on the Atlantic. But hey...

See you tomorrow!

Ay Ay Sailors!

Sailors!Did you enjoy Lisbon? I bet you did! As you know today is the day we leave European lands and go to our next destination. We'll spend quite a few days sailing so I hope you bought more sickness bags. Atlantic was once Portuguese sailors kingdom! Portuguese maritime exploration resulted in the numerous territories and maritime routes recorded by the Portuguese as a result of their intensive maritime journeys during the 15th and 16th centuries. Portuguese sailors were at the vanguard of European exploration, chronicling and mapping the coasts of Africa and Asia, then known as the East Indies, and Canada and Brazil (the West Indies), in what came to be known as the Age of Discovery.

So ,methodical expeditions started in 1419 along West Africa's coast under the sponsorship of prince Henry the Navigator, with Bartolomeu Dias reaching the Cape of Good Hope and entering the Indian Ocean in 1488. Ten years later, in 1498, Vasco da Gama led the first fleet around Africa to India, arriving in Calicut and starting a maritime route from Portugal to India. Portuguese explorations then proceeded to southeast Asia, where they reached Japan in 1542, forty-four years after their first arrival in India. In 1500, the Portuguese nobleman Pedro Álvares Cabral became the first European to discover Brazil.

People don't know but the aim of Portugal in the Indian Ocean was to ensure the monopoly of the spice trade. Taking advantage of the rivalries that pitted Hindus against Muslims, the Portuguese established several forts and trading posts between 1500 and 1510. In East Africa, small Islamic states along the coast of Mozambique, Kilwa, Brava, Sofala and Mombasa were destroyed, or became either subjects or allies of Portugal. Pêro da Covilhã had reached Ethiopia (via the Indian Ocean coast in Somalia, traveling secretly overland, as early as 1490; a diplomatic mission reached the ruler of that nation on October 19, 1520.

Portugal established trading ports at far-flung locations like Goa, Ormuz, Malacca, Kochi, the Maluku Islands, Macau, and Nagasaki. Guarding its trade from both European and Asian competitors, Portugal dominated not only the trade between Asia and Europe, but also much of the trade between different regions of Asia, such as India, Indonesia, China, and Japan. Jesuit missionaries, such as the Francis Xavier, followed the Portuguese to spread Christianity to Asia with mixed success.

That'it for now! Enjoy Saint Patrick's Day, enjoy your week-end, have fun and be sure the boat won't stop!

See you on Monday (and Sunday for hints)!

Did you know ?! Atlantic Ocean is the youngest of the five oceans, having formed during the Jurassic Period approximately 150 million years ago following the breakup of the supercontinent Pangaea. The Atlantic Ocean is the second-largest ocean on Earth, accounting for one fifth of the Earth's surface and 29% of the Earth's water.

Later today, I'll be giving some help to know where to find hints in my posts so it will help you to guess more potential AoTM (which will be possibly wrong).

I know you are all very close from giving up but don't throw the towel, not yet, not now! Plus if we have any issues with the boat we may need these towels.

Ay Ay Sailors!

Sailors!Did you enjoy Lisbon? I bet you did! As you know today is the day we leave European lands and go to our next destination. We'll spend quite a few days sailing so I hope you bought more sickness bags. Atlantic was once Portuguese sailors kingdom! Portuguese maritime exploration resulted in the numerous territories and maritime routes recorded by the Portuguese as a result of their intensive maritime journeys during the 15th and 16th centuries. Portuguese sailors were at the vanguard of European exploration, chronicling and mapping the coasts of Africa and Asia, then known as the East Indies, and Canada and Brazil (the West Indies), in what came to be known as the Age of Discovery.

So ,methodical expeditions started in 1419 along West Africa's coast under the sponsorship of prince Henry the Navigator, with Bartolomeu Dias reaching the Cape of Good Hope and entering the Indian Ocean in 1488. Ten years later, in 1498, Vasco da Gama led the first fleet around Africa to India, arriving in Calicut and starting a maritime route from Portugal to India. Portuguese explorations then proceeded to southeast Asia, where they reached Japan in 1542, forty-four years after their first arrival in India. In 1500, the Portuguese nobleman Pedro Álvares Cabral became the first European to discover Brazil.

People don't know but the aim of Portugal in the Indian Ocean was to ensure the monopoly of the spice trade. Taking advantage of the rivalries that pitted Hindus against Muslims, the Portuguese established several forts and trading posts between 1500 and 1510. In East Africa, small Islamic states along the coast of Mozambique, Kilwa, Brava, Sofala and Mombasa were destroyed, or became either subjects or allies of Portugal. Pêro da Covilhã had reached Ethiopia (via the Indian Ocean coast in Somalia, traveling secretly overland, as early as 1490; a diplomatic mission reached the ruler of that nation on October 19, 1520.

Portugal established trading ports at far-flung locations like Goa, Ormuz, Malacca, Kochi, the Maluku Islands, Macau, and Nagasaki. Guarding its trade from both European and Asian competitors, Portugal dominated not only the trade between Asia and Europe, but also much of the trade between different regions of Asia, such as India, Indonesia, China, and Japan. Jesuit missionaries, such as the Francis Xavier, followed the Portuguese to spread Christianity to Asia with mixed success.

That'it for now! Enjoy Saint Patrick's Day, enjoy your week-end, have fun and be sure the boat won't stop!

See you on Monday (and Sunday for hints)!

Did you know ?! Atlantic Ocean is the youngest of the five oceans, having formed during the Jurassic Period approximately 150 million years ago following the breakup of the supercontinent Pangaea. The Atlantic Ocean is the second-largest ocean on Earth, accounting for one fifth of the Earth's surface and 29% of the Earth's water.

Don't know if SSPP will help anyone else, but they're bolded. I went with a Silversun Pickups guess on a whim, but maybe they mean something and will help others.

Don't know if SSPP will help anyone else, but they're bolded. I went with a Silversun Pickups guess on a whim, but maybe they mean something and will help others.

I was wondering about the SSPP myself but haven't had a lot of time for braining lately

View attachment 168038

Day 1 tells you where the label is located
Day 2 tells you where three of ... of the musicians were born and, again, where the label is located
Day 3 tells you how many musicians are on the AotM
Day 6 tells you where the AOTM was recorded and a hint of where we are going
Day 7 is about black and white but also about the cover art of their second album
Day 8 tells you were we go
Day 9 tells you the ... their albums were recorded
Day 10 tells you about an ... played by one of the musicians
Day 13 gives you an hint about the configuration of the ..
Day 14 completes the list of ... played on the AotM
Day 15 hum hum (no post on that day)
Day 16 gives you many strong hints on the AotM's ...
Day 17 gives you the first letter of each ...'s name

Enjoy ! In red the hints added last week, in blue the ones I just added.

See you tomorrown!

• Paris {Nø Førmat!}
Day 2 tells you where three of ... of the musicians were born and, again, where the label is located
  • (Four) - France {Reims, Nice and Cahors)
  • ? - this one I have trouble with as I can't figure out how it leads to Gap.
Day 7 is about black and white but also about the cover art of their second album
  • Stars feature prominently on Sissoko and Segal's second album together, Musique De Nuit
  • Africa
  • (Years) - 2009 (Chamber Music); 2015 (Musique De Nuit) and 2023 (Les Égarés)
  • (Instrument) - Kora (from the strings family, and the continent we are going to - Africa)
  • (Band) - duos collaborating with duos; artists who've all worked with each other but not all together
  • (Instruments) - Cello, Accordion, Saxophone
Day 15 Hum Hum
  • KORA!
  • ?
  • (Musician) - Sissoko Segal Parisien Peirani

• Paris {Nø Førmat!}
  • Stars feature prominently on Sissoko and Segal's second album together, Musique De Nuit
  • Africa
  • (Instrument) - Kora (from the strings family, and the continent we are going to - Africa)
  • (Band) - duos collaborating with duos; artists who've all worked with each other but not all together
Day 15 Hum Hum
  • KORA!
  • ?

It does matches a lot of hints indeed.
EDIT: and first songs available are absolutely fantastic by the way

• Paris {Nø Førmat!}
  • Africa
Day 15 Hum Hum
  • KORA!
  • ?
this is amazing work!

Ay Ay Sailors!

We will spend the next few days on the Atlantic so I think it's a good time to look around us. We left Europe on Friday and we are quitely sailing close to the African coast. What you can sea East is Morocco. I used to love Morocco but they defeated Portugal in the last world cup so I don't love this country anymore. Fortunately, they play some great music so I still love them a little bit.

One of the most popular instrument played in Morocco is the oud. The oud is a short-neck lute-type, pear-shaped, fretless stringed instrument, usually with 11 strings grouped in six courses. There are some famous Moroccan oud players like Abid Bahri, Saïd Chraibi, Nasser Houari or Driss El Maloumi. This last has been a member of 3MA musical group since 2008, an award-winning trio of African string instruments, playing their own contemporary compositions that I strongly recommend.

Its name comes from the Arabic al'ud (the wood) and gradually transformed into oud, laúd, liuto and lute. This instrument, born in Persia in 500 AD, has crossed the continents, shining in the Arab-Andalusian emirates, the imperial palaces of Asia, the courts of Italy and France. But, in the 18th century, replaced by instruments with a more powerful sound, the oud lost its supremacy and fell into oblivion. Tunisian Anouar Brahem is undoubtedly the most emblematic figure of this return to the golden age of the oud. This 44-year-old maestro, who hails from scholarly Islamic and Western music, not only elevated the oud to the rank of soloist in the Arab world, where it was relegated to accompanying singing, but he also explored it, ethnologist, his journeys. He has several records released by ECM that I, also, highly recommend to discover another face of Arabic music.

Another oud player you may have hear about is Rabih Abou-Khalil. Born in Lebanon, Rabih Abou-Khalil grew up in the cosmopolitan Beirut of the 60s and 70s. Early on, he began studying the Oud, the Arabic lute, at the age of 4. The Lebanon War pushed Rabih to leave his native country in 1978 and so he settled in Munich where he received classical musical training at the Conservatory with Professor Walther Theurer. Through his contact, Rabih became familiar with Western musical culture and thus acquired the knowledge that facilitated communication and exchange with his fellow musicians in Europe. Soon, the analytical study of European music associated with a devouring interest in all musical cultures allowed him to consider Arabic music from a completely theoretical perspective and to evolve in diametrically opposed musical reference systems.

There are, of course, many other oud players to be discovered, some more accessible. The Trio Joubran is a Palestinian music group, formed in 2004 by three brothers: Samir, Wissam and Adnan Joubran. Mano Negra used oud on their song Sidi H'bibi (album Puta's Fever released in 1989). As for me, I love this song by the late Rachid Taha released in 2004 which is also my favourite Arabic song.

See you tomorrow!

Back