Television

I’ve got a bit of time off and looking to check a few shows off my list. I’ve decided to start with The Simpsons. I watched it on and off in the 90s enough to be familiar with it, but not enough to where I could remember plot lines and/or quotes.

Reading online tells me there’s a sharp drop after season 10 or so. The episodes are quite easy to churn through but I’m not finding it’s sticking with me (currently mid-S2). The ultimate question, is it worth getting through all 32, soon-to-be 33 seasons? I fear I’ve been broken by shows that reward ADHD like Family Guy, vulgarity like South Park or shows that blend surreal comedy with emotional depth like Bojack Horseman. Not that The Simpsons doesn’t have any of this, just that it does so in a more family-friendly way.
My freinds in England said they laughed there behinds off at Housebroken btw. They like Bob's as well. Have not had the urge or time yet here.

I’ve got a bit of time off and looking to check a few shows off my list. I’ve decided to start with The Simpsons. I watched it on and off in the 90s enough to be familiar with it, but not enough to where I could remember plot lines and/or quotes.

Reading online tells me there’s a sharp drop after season 10 or so. The episodes are quite easy to churn through but I’m not finding it’s sticking with me (currently mid-S2). The ultimate question, is it worth getting through all 32, soon-to-be 33 seasons? I fear I’ve been broken by shows that reward ADHD like Family Guy, vulgarity like South Park or shows that blend surreal comedy with emotional depth like Bojack Horseman. Not that The Simpsons doesn’t have any of this, just that it does so in a more family-friendly way.
It's funny hearing you call the Simpsons family-friendly, as they were often pointed at as a sign of eroding values at the time, even getting heat from the President. But yeah, it's relatively tame compared to tv these days, and a lot of stories are grounded in actual lower-middle-class concerns.

I don't think it'd be worth going through the entire run; I'm sure there's a medium article somewhere charting the ups and downs of the later seasons and you could cherry-pick. I stopped keeping up around season 16/17 and have watched the occasional episode since, and it definitely seems like it's in more of a holding-pattern these days, whereas there were some real dire misses during the show's teens. Personally, I think season 8 is the last good/great season (I'm with a lot of people who consider Armin Tamzarian the jump-the-shark moment); I'm currently through a very long, latent rewatch (I started with season 1 when Disney+ dropped, two years ago), and in the middle of season 7 I can see the writing on the wall.

It's definitely better than a lot of tv even at its worst, and I know a lot of people younger than I have fond memories of the later seasons; lots of jokes from seasons 10+ are enduring memes on their own.

Quality trails off around season twelve, I think it's worth sticking with until then, but no need at all to hit every season. It's probably been bad now longer than it was ever good, but it peaks about season 4-7 IMO. Just straight gold that whole time.

It's funny hearing you call the Simpsons family-friendly, as they were often pointed at as a sign of eroding values at the time, even getting heat from the President. But yeah, it's relatively tame compared to tv these days, and a lot of stories are grounded in actual lower-middle-class concerns.

I don't think it'd be worth going through the entire run; I'm sure there's a medium article somewhere charting the ups and downs of the later seasons and you could cherry-pick. I stopped keeping up around season 16/17 and have watched the occasional episode since, and it definitely seems like it's in more of a holding-pattern these days, whereas there were some real dire misses during the show's teens. Personally, I think season 8 is the last good/great season (I'm with a lot of people who consider Armin Tamzarian the jump-the-shark moment); I'm currently through a very long, latent rewatch (I started with season 1 when Disney+ dropped, two years ago), and in the middle of season 7 I can see the writing on the wall.

It's definitely better than a lot of tv even at its worst, and I know a lot of people younger than I have fond memories of the later seasons; lots of jokes from seasons 10+ are enduring memes on their own.
Yeah, had I not come of age during their golden years run and not played their arcade game at our local pizza parlor all the time, I wouldn't have that nostalgia to grasp onto which is what I'm clinging to right now. Every time I hear the opening credits it takes me back to sitting in my living room as a kid. The Simpsons mythos to me is somehow greater than the actual show.

I can appreciate their trail-blazing for other shows and how aware the show was with some of the jokes it had early on, especially for something in 1990. FOX gave them a mold and they consistently broke it without having to resort to crass humor which I respect. In most cases that mold is not even recognizable anymore and many shows have taken it and improved upon it.

I would liken this to all the cover songs that are being done for Metallica's Black Album anniversary. I had a friend send me Chris Stapleton's cover of Nothing Else Matters and I remarked that it was a great cover but I still prefer the original. He responded, "original?" and I played him the Metallica version, which is the one I know and love and he was a bit disappointed. I can see now how whatever your entry point is is likely going to be the thing you latch onto as the "gold standard," and in many ways this is how I view The Simpsons. I grew up on hip hop and South Park and it's really hard to re-write what's influential in your mind vs. what society sees as influential.

ANYWAYS, have yourselves a merry little weekend.

Finished watching Hilda the other day. I stumbled upon it while looking for an easy watch after finishing BoJack Horseman (which is definitely NOT light-hearted or kid-friendly 😅 ). The characters' development and diversity were more than I originally expected. I like the drawing style too. The soundtrack was also really good, especially in season 2. I hope they come out with a season 3! Now I recognize @Bennnnn avatar picture. :love:

Finished watching Hilda the other day. I stumbled upon it while looking for an easy watch after finishing BoJack Horseman (which is definitely NOT light-hearted or kid-friendly 😅 ). The characters' development and diversity were more than I originally expected. I like the drawing style too. The soundtrack was also really good, especially in season 2. I hope they come out with a season 3! Now I recognize @Bennnnn avatar picture. :love:
Yes! I think it’s great! And for two main reasons: 1) I love the style and 2) it’s just really pleasant and funny.

I also love the soundtrack and wish they’d press it to vinyl. I keep feeling like Mondo would jump on it, but maybe the demand isn’t quite there.

Also supposedly there will be a feature length movie soon, then a third season?

Was initially skeptical of succession because I thought it was romanticizing being a terrible rich person but now I’m absolutely obsessed with the levels of hilarious depravity on constant display lol. Season 2 kicks ass so far, excited to catch up to S3.

I’ve also really been enjoying Scenes From A Marriage with Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain so far!

Was initially skeptical of succession because I thought it was romanticizing being a terrible rich person but now I’m absolutely obsessed with the levels of hilarious depravity on constant display lol.
And just when you think you might have a handle on who is the Worst Human, another contender will step up and plumb the depths of rockbottom even deeper.

My current choice for Worst Human is actually Logan's new golddigger wife. I reckon she holds the cards and could be the key to the whole debacle.

tumblr_pywftgceDr1s247ugo9_500.gifv

For those in the States be sure to check out this one starting on PBS Sunday and next week!

The first part is currently up on the PBS website in the U.S. for free viewing

It's interesting to see someone who hasn't actually watched it growing up. Most people I know or come in contact with have some familiarity with it.

I'm like 5 days past this discussion but I wanted to add that I've also been re-watching the entire series over the past year. Currently in the middle of season 25 and while it's nowhere near as good the early seasons there's an odd episode that is enjoyable. I think to enjoy it later on you have to suspend some of the quality and wit that the show was known for. There's trash episodes featuring Lady Gaga and the like, but nothing about it has turned me off from continuing completely. I have a soft spot for the Simpsons and I enjoy seeing all of their antics regardless.

I would recommend keep going until you get to season 4 and then after that if you still don't like it, it might not be working 😔. I'd recommend some individual episodes but if you're not really a fan of the characters and it's not sticking, individual ones may not do it justice either.

Quality trails off around season twelve, I think it's worth sticking with until then, but no need at all to hit every season. It's probably been bad now longer than it was ever good, but it peaks about season 4-7 IMO. Just straight gold that whole time.
Bolded is where I'd say the quality drop is. Now, to be fair, I was watching syndicated re-runs every day after school around seasons 12-15 so I do have a soft spot for some of those episodes. Some of them are poor, but there's the occasional good one in there. I think my threshold for Simpsons is a little bit more generous.

Also I just want to share some of my favorite moments of the whole series and some of TVs greatest/funniest scenes IMO

Listening to this podcast is what got me to start watching Bosch, found Titus to be an incredibly fascinating guy. Check it out!

I started watching The Simpsons when it first started as a small child and only about 5 years ago finally stopped watching new episodes. My SO has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the show and it’s been our primary go-to comfort TV throughout our 15 years together. We also enjoy South Park and Bojack Horseman quite a bit but neither of us find Family Guy funny. The closet modern Animated Sitcom is Bob’s Burgers being as they are both family based and have a good deal of heart at their center.

Regarding The Simpsons, the show really doesn't hit it’s stride; though there are some very funny episodes prior, until Season 3. The run from Seasons 4 through Season 8 is about as perfect stretch of TV comedy ever produced. Conan O’Brien came in as a writer during that time and wrote some of the best episodes and jokes the show ever created. IMO there were were 3 fantastic writers; O’Brien, Greg Daniels (who would later go on to write for King Of The Hill and become the show runner for the US version of The Office), and John Swartzwelder. David X Cohen and Mike Scully were both very good too during this time frame but probably a few clicks below the others.

Seasons 9 through 12 are still very good and really only suffer when compared with what came before, during this time you still get the majority of very good episodes and even a couple great ones each season but you also start getting some mediocre to bad episodes added into the mix.

From season 12 through season 18 leading into the The Simpsons Movie; the show was in cruise control there are still occasionally funny episodes and there some good gags but over all the show starts lean too heavily on parody episodes and guest stars. This is also where they start to flesh out character that are better left without a backstory Crazy Cat Lady, Groundskeeper Willie and Gil are funny side characters but are fairly one note and fleshing out their characters story does nothing to make these characters more interesting.

If you want to make it a nice round number you could watch The Simpsons through Season 20 but beyond that it’s basically just going through the motions. We stopped watching new episodes essentially after FXX (and now Disney+) started offering up Every Simpsons Ever via streaming and are much more content at this point to watch reruns from the show heyday than trough through new episodes.

Back