Television

lolololol at the thought that this show called Bosch about a character named Bosch might have a spinoff starring the same lead actor, still in his role as the main character named Bosch, and that the spinoff

and that I'm supposed to think of those as two different shows.
Maybe the titular Bosch is actually Maddie, not Harry?

titular Bosch
giphy.gif

I've been watching the New Zealand version of Taskmaster and enjoying it a lot. It definitely isn't as good considering both Greg Davies and Alex Horne are not on it, but aside from that it keeps the goofy spirit of the British original in tact. I just love the original Taskmaster so much (a new season is coming in a few weeks!) - so I'm glad there are two seasons of this NZ version to keep me busy for a bit. Although I've watched half the first season in one day...

I've been watching the New Zealand version of Taskmaster and enjoying it a lot. It definitely isn't as good considering both Greg Davies and Alex Horne are not on it, but aside from that it keeps the goofy spirit of the British original in tact. I just love the original Taskmaster so much (a new season is coming in a few weeks!) - so I'm glad there are two seasons of this NZ version to keep me busy for a bit. Although I've watched half the first season in one day...
Just started Season 10 and was saving the NZ version for when I finish off Season 11.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith vibes?
I think I was more surprised to see how closely tied it appears to be to Christmas. And NYC tourism. And Renner as the straight man in a...buddy comedy about a young woman moonlighting as the alter ego he previously used when he was ruthlessly murdering criminals? There's either some misdirection happening with this trailer or they're injecting a lot of levity into the character.

I think I was more surprised to see how closely tied it appears to be to Christmas. And NYC tourism. And Renner as the straight man in a...buddy comedy about a young woman moonlighting as the alter ego he previously used when he was ruthlessly murdering criminals? There's either some misdirection happening with this trailer or they're injecting a lot of levity into the character.
Renner played Hawkeye (before the snap) with a lot of levity. Kate Bishop did kind of force her way into the world of crime fighters by just putting on a suit and doing it after being attacked in Central Park. Feels all on brand to me. The Christmas thing is probably just the studio trying to draw in that crowd (people like my mom who will watch pretty much anything Christmas themed).

I can't recommend Matt Fraction's run on the character from the early 2010s enough; it's very charming and I think they're copping a lot from it.

Renner played Hawkeye (before the snap) with a lot of levity. Kate Bishop did kind of force her way into the world of crime fighters by just putting on a suit and doing it after being attacked in Central Park. Feels all on brand to me. The Christmas thing is probably just the studio trying to draw in that crowd (people like my mom who will watch pretty much anything Christmas themed).

I can't recommend Matt Fraction's run on the character from the early 2010s enough; it's very charming and I think they're copping a lot from it.
It's not a mischaracterization, just not where I expected them to pick up with Hawkeye after the events of Infinity War/Endgame. He's probably one of the characters I know the least from the source material, so I'm open, but I guess I thought it would be in the more serious vein of Falcon & Winter Soldier (something I still haven't finished, and frankly have found to be pretty bad. IMO Marvel is lucky that 2020 forced them to reshuffle and debut WandaVision first).

It's not a mischaracterization, just not where I expected them to pick up with Hawkeye after the events of Infinity War/Endgame. He's probably one of the characters I know the least from the source material, so I'm open, but I guess I thought it would be in the more serious vein of Falcon & Winter Soldier (something I still haven't finished, and frankly have found to be pretty bad. IMO Marvel is lucky that 2020 forced them to reshuffle and debut WandaVision first).
I had the same feelings around FaWS, I just find Falcon to be an incredibly bland character. Loki and WandaVision were much more what I hoped for from a Marvel TV Show. I know Hawkeye will be far more grounded in reality, but I'm glad they're giving it a whimsical Christmas romp to spice up what could be just another "Vigilante punch badguy" show. I'm hoping it's like Diehard, for archery nerds.

I had the same feelings around FaWS, I just find Falcon to be an incredibly bland character.
It felt like a globe-spanning movie plot with lots of backlot TV action scenes. The plotting is thin, the dialogue is just a stilted vehicle for exposition dumps...I don't know. It doesn't all hang together for me.

lolololol at the thought that this show called Bosch about a character named Bosch might have a spinoff starring the same lead actor, still in his role as the main character named Bosch, and that the spinoff might be called Bosch and that I'm supposed to think of those as two different shows.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I’ve got a bit of time off and looking to check a few shows off my list. I’ve decided to start with The Simpsons. I watched it on and off in the 90s enough to be familiar with it, but not enough to where I could remember plot lines and/or quotes.

Reading online tells me there’s a sharp drop after season 10 or so. The episodes are quite easy to churn through but I’m not finding it’s sticking with me (currently mid-S2). The ultimate question, is it worth getting through all 32, soon-to-be 33 seasons? I fear I’ve been broken by shows that reward ADHD like Family Guy, vulgarity like South Park or shows that blend surreal comedy with emotional depth like Bojack Horseman. Not that The Simpsons doesn’t have any of this, just that it does so in a more family-friendly way.

Back