Television

Around the internet it seems like people are on the same page about the gun. Kinda seems like they could've written something more plausible, like even just have the kid say he kept the gun a day or two.

Overall I was impressed by how the show drew me away from the mystery with the drama and characters and still was able to present a satisfying answer to the mystery that only deepened the themes and drama.
There seems to be some misremembering about the scene. The only reason he went to the shed and noticed the gun was gone was because he heard a sound out there, which was probably the kid leaving after taking the gun, so it wasn't a coincidence. Why would he check again in the morning if he thought it was gone? He noticed it was back when getting tools only a few days before he asked Mare to come over to talk about how he thought someone was stealing other things from him as well.
That's a great point; being an ex cop, and a there's a murder, but the missing gun info didn't occur to him as being pertinent. It didn't ruin it for me, but that is all kind of iffy.
Most cops aren't detectives, y'know? Plenty of stupid cops. I don't think him not thinking it had anything to do with the murder is that far fetched. Certainly wasn't made out to be smart. Especially when they probably didn't release specific gory details of how she was killed to the public immediately.
This was a HUGE plot hole IMO. Mr. Carroll happens to go look for his gun during the few hours that Ryan took it. Ok, fine. The next morning--whether he realizes the gun had been put back or not--when Erin's murder is all over the news, Mr. Carroll never thought to tell the police that his gun was missing that night? Mr. Carroll was a retired cop!! ALSO....in the first scene of Ep 1, Mrs. Carroll was complaining that her husband never set up the security camera. The murder was that night. So he set up the camera that day? Ok, fine. But he never checked the footage after his gun went missing??
The security camera thing is a bit weird. I think it is the only thing that feels like a stretch. The morning after the prowler he did say "I told you, I'd set it up today" so that was explained, prowler was a good motivator, but why he didn't check the footage that Mare watches at the end is a bit of a head scratcher. Sure old people and touch screen technology don't always mix, but if he was able to get it working, which seems like it would be more difficult, seems like he should have been able to check it. Perhaps we are expected to think, since he can't even clean his dishes or throw away food, he wasn't motivated to check it, but he was motivated enough to call Mare? And I think that was before his wife died so that's probably not even relevant. Definitely seems like a bit of a stretch.

Loved the show!

Last edited:

So, is this show supposed to be any good?

My wife and I are two episodes in and I'm enjoying it immensely. I absolutely loved the comic series, though am glad it's been nearly a decade since I read it so I can enjoy the show a bit more as it's own thing. I will definitely be re-reading the series once we've finished watching (which may take a couple/few weeks yet - TV time is a rarity for us these days) but for now I'm very into the show.

I've heard the graphic novel is very good and the Netflix adaptation is a very watered down, much lighter version of it.
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Haven’t watched the show but as others have said the Jeff Lemire’s Graphic Novel is fantastic. I highly recommend it.
View attachment 101829
I haven't read all of his Marvel/DC/Valiant work-for-hire stuff, but I've read and loved nearly every single bit of Lemire's creator-owned stuff (other than the titles for which I'm trade-waiting) He's pretty much my favourite.

I haven't read all of his Marvel/DC/Valiant work-for-hire stuff, but I've read and loved nearly every single bit of Lemire's creator-owned stuff (other than the titles for which I'm trade-waiting) He's pretty much my favourite.
My favorite of his Superhero titles are Animal Man and Green Arrow for DC and his Moon Knight run for Marvel respectively. All are worth a read. Though, If you give his Animal Man a go you will also need to give Scott Snyders's complimentary Swamp Thing a read too.

My favorite of his Superhero titles are Animal Man and Green Arrow for DC and his Moon Knight run for Marvel respectively. All are worth a read. Though, If you give his Animal Man a go you will also need to give Scott Snyders's complimentary Swamp Thing a read too.
I did read all of those runs of Animal Man and Swamp Thing when they came out. Very excellent stuff. Somewhere I still have my Evolve or Die Animal Man t-shirt became a main go-to gig shirt for me in the early 2010s. I never kept up on Justice League Dark though, or I think he moved on to Superboy for a spell too. I lucked into a $10 copy of the complete Green Arrow run too, which was also pretty sweet. I love Andrea Sorrentino's art, and the two of them work really well together To that end I recommend Gideon Falls if you haven't already checked it out. It's dark and delicious. I'm hoping to find some discount copies of his Moon Knight run sometime - I find Marvel TPBs to be especially overpriced so I haven't dug into that one yet, but it does hold the most appeal for me of any of his Marvel stuff.

I've heard the graphic novel is very good and the Netflix adaptation is a very watered down, much lighter version of it.
Just adding on to what others have said, Sweet Tooth is a fantastic comic series and the storyline is fantastic. I have the show ready to watch once I have finished up some other bits, cant wait.

Same. I expected to love WandaVision and Falcon just be kind of meh. But it was the opposite. I'll be starting Loki tonight.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Wandavision. I enjoyed them both immensely for very different reasons.

Obviously we will have to see where things go, but after one episode Loki is my favourite so far.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Wandavision. I enjoyed them both immensely for very different reasons.

Obviously we will have to see where things go, but after one episode Loki is my favourite so far.
I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it. Maybe I just expected more. I also feel like there wasn't much primer for it. Falcon obviously was set up at the end of Endgame but there was no real lead in to it.

I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it. Maybe I just expected more. I also feel like there wasn't much primer for it. Falcon obviously was set up at the end of Endgame but there was no real lead in to it.
I can dig that. I really loved how off the beaten path WandaVision was. That said, I think it faltered a bit towards the end - but I was particularly thrilled for the first 2/3 - 3/4 of it.

I can dig that. I really loved how off the beaten path WandaVision was. That said, I think it faltered a bit towards the end - but I was particularly thrilled for the first 2/3 - 3/4 of it.
And honestly, I thought the part I would like most is that it was based on sitcoms. But that's the part of it I ended up liking least.

Wandavision started amazing and ended meh, Falcon and Winter Soldier started meh, got pretty neat, then ended how I expected it to. I'm expecting I'll enjoy Loki more than the other two, but I did still enjoy the other two.

So im 4 episodes into Sweet Tooth and im coming at it as a massive fan of the graphic novel/comic.

I actually like the fact that they have deviated from the comic as it would have been tricky to fully capture the dark grittiness of it. One of my favourite things so far is all the easter eggs, there seems to be loads and its fun seeing them. From memory there are:

-The slow panning to Gus's dads body, but with the reveal that it was just a scarecrow. It was a dark part of the comic seeing the body decompose.
- The 'Essex County' sign at the zoo. Jeff Lemire was born in Essex County and released a graphic novel about a hockey player from there (which, again is great).
- When they enter the Animal headquarters (Bear's place) the animals drawn on the walls are taken from the comic. I believe the rabbit makes a couple of appearances.

Not gonna check your spoliers because I'm still only 2 episodes in, but I love that you're loving it.

Jeff Lemire had some really great thoughts on the changes from the comic to the show in his newsletter today, including both how tricky it would've been to capture the dark grittiness, and just how much darker and grittier the world has been in the decade-plus since writing it and how some of the darker bits can be much more palatable in a sparse graphic form than they would be depicted by actual human children on video.

Hopefully next weekend will be less busy than this weekend has been so the wife and I can jump back in, as I'm really excited to watch the rest!

Back