Television

Dang, I didn't even think about that. Yeah......I guess it was part of their cover-up plan? Make it look like something specific. Also maybe they were worried about fingerprints.
Also kind of weird that finding her clothes wasn't even mentioned as part of their search for a suspect.

I thought it was fantastic. And not that I didn't know Kate Winslet was excellent, but her performance was so moving throughout this series...I just don't have enough superlatives. The show for me was definitely more about the impact and ripples created by the crime than solving it. That was all done so, so well.

There was one kind of major thing that seemed to slip through, or maybe I missed something:

Mr. Carroll's missing gun was taken and replaced on the same night, how did he know it was gone? And one other thing, why would John want to kill Billy? Was he afraid Billy would confess that it was Ryan not John?
This was a HUGE plot hole IMO. Mr. Carroll happens to go look for his gun during the few hours that Ryan took it. Ok, fine. The next morning--whether he realizes the gun had been put back or not--when Erin's murder is all over the news, Mr. Carroll never thought to tell the police that his gun was missing that night? Mr. Carroll was a retired cop!! ALSO....in the first scene of Ep 1, Mrs. Carroll was complaining that her husband never set up the security camera. The murder was that night. So he set up the camera that day? Ok, fine. But he never checked the footage after his gun went missing??

This was a HUGE plot hole IMO. Mr. Carroll happens to go look for his gun during the few hours that Ryan took it. Ok, fine. The next morning--whether he realizes the gun had been put back or not--when Erin's murder is all over the news, Mr. Carroll never thought to tell the police that his gun was missing that night? Mr. Carroll was a retired cop!! ALSO....in the first scene of Ep 1, Mrs. Carroll was complaining that her husband never set up the security camera. The murder was that night. So he set up the camera that day? Ok, fine. But he never checked the footage after his gun went missing??
That's a great point; being an ex cop, and a there's a murder, but the missing gun info didn't occur to him as being pertinent. It didn't ruin it for me, but that is all kind of iffy.

Also, I think they play up the fact that he's not as sharp as he might have been.
Yeah that short little scene of the camera floating around his house showing stale food, etc seemed a little in hindsight like the writer's realizing what you have all said above and thinking 'ah crap, we gotta make this guy an idiot and FAST"

Yeah that short little scene of the camera floating around his house showing stale food, etc seemed a little in hindsight like the writer's realizing what you have all said above and thinking 'ah crap, we gotta make this guy an idiot and FAST"
I don't think these are spoilers but...

Also with him not getting around to setting up his security camera and his ill timed announcement during a certain scene. They kind of planted mini seeds.

Around the internet it seems like people are on the same page about the gun. Kinda seems like they could've written something more plausible, like even just have the kid say he kept the gun a day or two.

Overall I was impressed by how the show drew me away from the mystery with the drama and characters and still was able to present a satisfying answer to the mystery that only deepened the themes and drama.

Just finished rewatching season 1 of "What We Do In The Shadows" again and will start season 2 later this week.

giphy.gif

Nice, there is a local from Boston on Masterchef this season. I'll have to watch it.

While I have never met Autumn I do know who she is. I know of her through Pokemon and have her as friends in a couple games and follow her on Instagram.

I thought it was fantastic. And not that I didn't know Kate Winslet was excellent, but her performance was so moving throughout this series...I just don't have enough superlatives. The show for me was definitely more about the impact and ripples created by the crime than solving it. That was all done so, so well.

There was one kind of major thing that seemed to slip through, or maybe I missed something:

Mr. Carroll's missing gun was taken and replaced on the same night, how did he know it was gone? And one other thing, why would John want to kill Billy? Was he afraid Billy would confess that it was Ryan not John?

Finished Mare of Easttown last night. It was probably one of the best HBO series I've watched in a while. I had to decompress a bit after the finale.

Of all the disturbing things that happened on the show one big unanswered question I have is...

Given the circumstances of the murder confirmed at the end, why was Erin's body found with no clothes? Were they trying to make it look like she was assaulted?

RIP Zabel. That was a rough one.
Somehow I was not alerted to this thread and I missed everything that was talked about earlier in the week. Agh. I thought it was weird no one was talking about it, but I never actually checked to see if there were posts in the thread, I just assumed cause I wasn't being alerted, that there wasn't any. Anyway...

I agree with all of what was said, basically. I had the same feelings, about the gun and about killing Billy and also (not touched on) but the shift of Dylan's character seemed too fast to me. In one moment he's pulling a gun and chasing down that girl (I don't remember her name now...) and the next he's being sweet and giving money to the family for the ear surgery? Eh. Dumb.

But the clothes thing actually really bothered me and I don't want to go off on my soapbox, but I have an issue with it. Because as was pointed out, there wasn't really enough explanation to warrant seeing her body that way. Yeah we can all assume they were trying to make it look like something it wasn't, but it was essentially never talked about. And yeah nobody mentioned looking for clothes. Why? I think it's more an issue to me of using women's bodies to display nudity. Hear me out... there is zero purpose for seeing her without a top on, and one would assume if there were a purpose, it would be talked about. But it isn't. The next time we see another women in a bad situation and showing off her chest is right when the second (actually third?) girl gets abducted. What's the point of that? We already know she's a prostitue. It's so uneccesary. It adds nothing to her character, the scene, or the storyline. It's just another means of using women's bodies like that - and in a grosser way honestly cause in both scenarios the nudity is tied to violence. But there isn't a larger point the show is making here by connected that idea. I don't know...something about it rubs me the wrong way. I don't even know if this is making sense. But I did bring it up to my girlfriend once we finished, and it all stemmed from me wondering why Erin's body was left that way. Anyway, that's my shitty ted talk for this evening. Sorry. Goodbye.

Back