What's Spinning

Gillian Welch - Lost Songs Vol 1

So today has been mostly about streaming this from one of my all-time favourite artists. Supposedly she has three (!) albums of unreleased songs between Time (The Revelator) and Soul Journey. They're all fabulous songs, and I just hope this gets a vinyl release some time.

Screenshot_20200731-142332_Spotify.jpg

My collection #749-750

Cartagena
Margo Price - That's How Rumors Get Started

And from earlier today - Cartagena is one of my favourite ever compilations, just such uplifting music from the 60s in Colombia that is impossible not to dance along to. I'm lucky enough to have several OGs of Curro Fuentes and they're all amazing. Not sure where the Margo Price stands compared with her two earlier albums yet but I dig it a lot.

20200730_225727.jpg

20200731_111752.jpg

My collection #749-750

Cartagena
Margo Price - That's How Rumors Get Started

And from earlier today - Cartagena is one of my favourite ever compilations, just such uplifting music from the 60s in Colombia that is impossible not to dance along to. I'm lucky enough to have several OGs of Curro Fuentes and they're all amazing. Not sure where the Margo Price stands compared with her two earlier albums yet but I dig it a lot.

View attachment 59176

View attachment 59177

Nice spins! That Margo Price is really great. I think my favorite Colombian comp is Soundway's "Colombia!", though this one is excellent too.

Nice spins! That Margo Price is really great. I think my favorite Colombian comp is Soundway's "Colombia!", though this one is excellent too.
I adore that one too - as a collection of songs it's really second to none. Cartagena has a charm of its own though and maybe hangs together a bit better. Both have got me into tracking them some of the OGs - I've got most of Fruko, a lot of Corraleros de Majagual, and quite a few of the original Curro compilations. They're fairly easy to find on Discogs but vary massively in price.

@Turbo's Recommended 2020 Releases

I've been discovering a lot of great new music this year. These are 2020 releases that I've been spinning a lot.

#1 The Buttertones "Jazz Hound"
#2 Baxter Dury "The Night Chancers"
#3 Jessie Ware "What's Your Pleasure?"
#4 Yves Tumor "Heaven To A Tortured Mind"
#5 Sammy Brue "Crash Test Kid"
#6 Sorry "925"
#7 Destroyer "Have We Met?"
#8 Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes "What Kinda Music"
#9 Automagik "Fluorescent Nights"
#10 Caribou "Suddenly"
#11 Caroline Rose "Superstar"
#12 Monophonics "It's Only Us"
#13 Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever "Sideways To New Italy"
#14 The Strokes "The New Abnormal"
#15 Car Seat Headrest "Making A Door Less Open"
#16 Georgia "Seeking Thrills"

#17 Thundercat "It Is What It Is"
Another fun outing by Thundercat. "It Is What It Is" doesn't have big tracks like "Them Changes" and "Show Me The Way" on "Drunk.", but it's probably overall more accessible. As always, the witty oddball lyrics and the sublime bass playing remain at the forefront. The standouts for me "Black Qualls", "Funny Thing", "King of the Hill", "Dragonball Durag" and "Overseas".

IMG_0690.JPG

Flume - Flume (LRSD '20)

🌊

20200731_105719-01kbkrw.jpeg

20200731_112423-0180jzh.jpeg

Orchestre Baobab - Baobab à Paris Vol 1 - On Verra Ça

RIP Balla Sidibé. Very very sad news. The singer and cofounder of Baobab, as well as author of some of their best songs including On Verra Ça, died on Wednesday. It casts a bit of a pall over their 50th anniversary celebrations this year, although he stepped down from the band after the death of another cofounder Issa Cissokho last year. I was lucky enough to see them live several times and they're some of the best gigs I've been to. They really are a magical group with such a light but soulful touch.

20200731_164922.jpg

0_20190503_212446.jpg

Back