What's Spinning

@Turbo's Recommended 2020 Releases

I've been discovering a lot of great new music this year. These are 2020 releases that I've been spinning a lot.

#1 The Buttertones "Jazz Hound"
#2 Baxter Dury "The Night Chancers"

#3 Jessie Ware "What's Your Pleasure?"
I've seen this described as disco, but the synths remind me more of mid-80's synthpop. And it's glorious! I hear hints of Janet Jackson, Company B, New Order and Jody Watley. There's even a Bananarama sample in there. The longing in her voice is so infectious. After playing this in the car a few times, I now have my 11 year old asking to listen to this album instead of whatever tik tok star's sister that's the flavor of the day. Standouts are the title track, "Ooh La La", "Soul Control", "Spotlight'... well, the whole album.

IMG_0618.JPG

Last edited:

I've been discovering a lot of great new music this year. These are 2020 releases that I've been spinning a lot.

#4 Yves Tumor "Heaven To A Tortured Mind"
What I would consider to be one of the best rock records of the year is by an experimental electronic artist? The album ends up being an original oddball blend of different rock styles, not unlike a certain late chameleon made a career out of. Standouts are "Gospel For A New Century", "Kerosene!", "Romanticist", "Dream Palette" and "Strawberry Privilege".

IMG_0620.JPG

Last edited:

#4 Yves Tumor "Heaven To A Tortured Mind"

#5 Sammy Brue "Crash Test Kid"
This one is a more of a straight forward rock record. Great songwriting and a fun set of tracks ranging in style from americana and blues to punk and power pop. Standouts include "Megawatt", "Teenage Mayhem", "True Believer", "Skatepark Doomsday Blues" and "Gravity".

IMG_0622.JPG

Back