What's Spinning

@Turbo's Recommended 2020 Releases

I've been discovering a lot of great new music this year. These are 2020 releases that I've been spinning a lot.

#1 The Buttertones "Jazz Hound"
#2 Baxter Dury "The Night Chancers"
#3 Jessie Ware "What's Your Pleasure?"
#4 Yves Tumor "Heaven To A Tortured Mind"
#5 Sammy Brue "Crash Test Kid"
#6 Sorry "925"
#7 Destroyer "Have We Met?"
#8 Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes "What Kinda Music"
#9 Automagik "Fluorescent Nights"
#10 Caribou "Suddenly"
#11 Caroline Rose "Superstar"
#12 Monophonics "It's Only Us"
#13 Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever "Sideways To New Italy"
#14 The Strokes "The New Abnormal"
#15 Car Seat Headrest "Making A Door Less Open"

#16 Georgia "Seeking Thrills"
2020 has been a good year for the type of synthpop I enjoy, with Jessie Ware, Automagik, The Weeknd, Chromatics and Dua Lipa, among others. Georgia's "Seeking Thrills" is another one of these. There are some definite classic late 80s - early 90's Chicago and Detroit influences. The album is front loaded with the dancefloor tracks while the the mood gets a bit more laid back in back half. I think fans of Robyn should give this a try. Standouts for me are "Never Let You Go", "About Work The Dancefloor", "Mellow", Started Out" and "Feel It".

IMG_0680.JPG

I don’t have any others compare it to. I have the following and am ranking them in quality (they’re all great) Yaz<Weezer=Nelson - Stardust<In A Silent Way<oh Mercy<Evans Trio - Village Vanguard (1 step - easily the best sounding record I have)
Shit, I guess technically I have to count Pinkerton which I would put in between Nelson and Davis as a pressing and at the bottom musically.

I don’t have any others compare it to. I have the following and am ranking them in quality (they’re all great) Yaz<Weezer=Nelson - Stardust<In A Silent Way<oh Mercy<Evans Trio - Village Vanguard (1 step - easily the best sounding record I have)

Nice, I have In a Slient Way, so that's a strong endorsement. I think I'll have to pick this one up - there goes another $50 😬 . I've already got the Mofi Love and Theft preordered.

Does anybody have a copy of this 2020 half speed that isn’t from MPO? Especially people stateside

except for the vocals being buried in the mix, I’m actually quite happy with this. It’s not undynamic as others have said. I’m also fairly certain it will sound better LOUD, which I can’t do right now. It certainly sounds better than the muddy cd I have. Need to compare it to the deluxe digital version I have which is probably what made me notice how muddy my damn cd is.

like I said on insta, this is my favorite, I fell in love with Dead Flowers during college, mostly due to a smoking student band that played the hell out of it at my residence hall’s weekly open mic night. I wasn’t aware that there was some kind of feud between Beatles and Stones fans. All I knew is I heard the Beatles growing up and not so much The Stones. I genuinely thought they were a greatest hits kind of band. Even after falling for this album. It wasn’t until I listened to Exile about 15 years ago that i really started to explore their discography.

it’s not a noisy pressing. It’s got a small dish, that the weight corrects. Coming on the end of side one no non-fill Or pops. Hell the solo on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking is pretty damn mind blowing. It might be a tad bright but not offensively so.

on the second side now and once you get over Mick being buried a bit, it’s quite enjoyable.

This might be a nice case study to a-b with a clean og. @HiFi Guy do you have a pressing recommendation?

Spinning this again now. I was correct. Turn the volume knob towards the right and almost all of my complaints go away. (Brown Sugar is just as muddy as the entirety of Exile and I’m guessing that’s the master)

Back