What's Spinning

Yup, I wouldn't have thought that Secretly would be doing two Molina exclusives this year or I may have signed up earlier this year just for that. At least your bro @girlnevergoesout was able to snag the live album for me (for which I will always be indebted)

This is my first exposure to Molina. It was pretty heavy. She’s a good bro.

@Turbo's Recommended 2020 Releases

I've been discovering a lot of great new music this year. These are 2020 releases that I've been spinning a lot.

#1 The Buttertones "Jazz Hound"
#2 Baxter Dury "The Night Chancers"
#3 Jessie Ware "What's Your Pleasure?"
#4 Yves Tumor "Heaven To A Tortured Mind"
#5 Sammy Brue "Crash Test Kid"
#6 Sorry "925"
#7 Destroyer "Have We Met?"
#8 Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes "What Kinda Music"

#9 Automagik "Fluorescent Nights"
Blue-eyed electrofunk? This one came on a recommendation from @Lee Newman. The synths and glossy production take me back to a night out at the roller rink during my teenage years. Somewhere between Prince, Men Without Hats and Metronomy, this record is so much fun! Standouts tracks for me are "Buick", "I Hope It Works", "Lonely Dreams", "Tonight Tonight Tonight Tonight" and "Driving To You".

IMG_0636.JPG

Last edited:
My copy of After Hours is now saying August shipping....
Yeah I got an email a week or so ago saying it had been delayed, but didn't say when it would actually be shipping. Its lame since this already was taking a long time from the pre-order to actually ship and now its delayed even further? Bleh.

Yeah I got an email a week or so ago saying it had been delayed, but didn't say when it would actually be shipping. Its lame since this already was taking a long time from the pre-order to actually ship and now its delayed even further? Bleh.

I ordered it from his Canadian store and they have the official release date pushed back to Aug 21. I think it was July 10 when I pre-ordered it?

I got the red black splatter. The clear with red splatter was already sold out at the time, but I think I prefer opaque anyway. What did you get?

I ordered it from his Canadian store and they have the official release date pushed back to Aug 21. I think it was July 10 when I pre-ordered it?

I got the red black splatter. The clear with red splatter was already sold out at the time, but I think I prefer opaque anyway. What did you get?
I also got the red + black splatter! I didn't remember seeing a date though, I thought it just said "shipping in 16 weeks" but I could be misremembering. August 21? Booooo. This album is going to be nearly half a year old before the vinyl even gets here lol. I guess we can hope the delay is to make sure it's as high quality as possible? (I know that's wishful thinking...)

Well I just looked and there is A LOT. I’m extra curious because we come from the same area.
Ohio? or Bloomington? or Chicago? He was quite a Nomad.

I don’t know where you are in exploring his discography but if you are just starting off I would suggest starting with Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. It’s arguably his best album (and one of my all time favorites). From there it would kinda depend on what you prefer if you enjoy the more Neil Youngish Rock vibe you should check out his other albums under the Magnolia Electric Co. moniker. If you enjoy his more sparse Lo-fi folk music then you would wanna go back and explore more of his earlier work under the Songs: Ohia moniker. He made great albums under both names but they have different vibes.

Ohio? or Bloomington? or Chicago? He was quite a Nomad.

I don’t know where you are in exploring his discography but if you are just starting off I would suggest starting with Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. It’s arguably his best album (and one of my all time favorites). From there it would kinda depend on what you prefer if you enjoy the more Neil Youngish Rock vibe you should check out his other albums under the Magnolia Electric Co. moniker. If you enjoy his more sparse Lo-fi folk music then you would wanna go back and explore more of his earlier work under the Songs: Ohia moniker. He made great albums under both names but they have different vibes.

Ohio. I’m curious about where he went to middle school. I know he went to Oberlin college which I am familiar with.
Today was the first time I’ve ever listened to him so I wasn’t really sure where to start but it sounds like Songs: Ohia would be the one.

Back