What's Spinning

@Turbo's Recommended 2020 Releases

I've been discovering a lot of great new music this year. These are 2020 releases that I've been spinning a lot.

#1 The Buttertones "Jazz Hound"
#2 Baxter Dury "The Night Chancers"
#3 Jessie Ware "What's Your Pleasure?"
#4 Yves Tumor "Heaven To A Tortured Mind"
#5 Sammy Brue "Crash Test Kid"
#6 Sorry "925"
#7 Destroyer "Have We Met?"
#8 Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes "What Kinda Music"
#9 Automagik "Fluorescent Nights"
#10 Caribou "Suddenly"
#11 Caroline Rose "Superstar"
#12 Monophonics "It's Only Us"
#13 Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever "Sideways To New Italy"
#14 The Strokes "The New Abnormal"
#15 Car Seat Headrest "Making A Door Less Open"
#16 Georgia "Seeking Thrills"
#17 Thundercat "It Is What It Is"
#18 Pearl Jam "Gigaton"

#19 Ghostpoet "I Grow Tired But Dare Not Fall Asleep"
"I Grow Tired But Dare Not Fall Asleep" has that film noir anxiety that suits 2020 perfectly. This the first album to lead me anywhere near that place "Mezzanine" took me to all those years ago. I love the heavy use of organic instrumentation that backs Ghostpoet's dark and soulful spoken rap. Standouts to me include "I Grow Tired But Dare Not Fall Asleep", "Concrete Pony", "Nowhere to Hide Now", Breaking Cover" and "This Trainwreck Of A Life" with its sexy french spoken word parts from SaraSara.

View attachment 60528
I shit you not, I saw him support metronomy back in 2011 in a shitty little venue in the north east of Scotland. Where I’ve seen most of my gigs to be fair.

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#278: Koko Taylor - I've got what it takes

#279: Piotr Tchaikovsky - Concerto No. 1

IMG_20200806_065940.jpg

Khruangbin - Live at the Villain

Bootleg of a live Pitchfork performance on YouTube. Totally sketchy backstory, audio ripped from from YouTube for cripes sake, pressed who knows where on red vinyl... and it actually sounds really good! Anyone interested in this, but concerned about sound quality, shouldn't be. There's a lot of claims that its limited to 1,000 copies and that has to be BS. Maybe the initial run was, but my store had 20 copies on the shelf.

20200807_212016.jpg20200807_203458.jpg

20200808_005436.jpg
Roni Size "New Forms"
Original UK 1997 4 LP 45 RPM pressing

I was so happy to find this one earlier this year. Loved this album during Uni and beyond. And the video for Brown Paper Bag was actually all shot in downtown Toronto, which at the time was unheard of for a foreign act. Now of course everything is shot here.

Back