March 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 29 - record shop

Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Sleeps With Angels

Most of my records are from record shops - nothing beats them for the random joy of finding old (and new) friends. This was my one purchase from the most local of locals - a shop just round the corner from where I used to live in Lewisham. It's completely disorganised but I found this for £15, one of my favourite albums by Neil, and I seen to remember the old guy who ran it even knocked it down to £12.

20210329_144633.jpg

March 29: National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day - Play an album you got from your local Mom and Pop record store.

I am fortunate enough to have a few of these within driving distance of me so a fair number of records in my cubes are as a result of local pickups.

There's this one about five minutes down the road from me that apparently has the ability to read my wants and dreams and have something buried in the stack for me. Sometimes it's a new item that hasn't gone out of stock there that is out of stock everywhere else or one that no other brick and mortar place nearby carries. More often now, it's something in their used and newly intaken items that speaks to me. They are often pretty slow to sort and fair on pricing, so it can be really nice. It's the only place I've found a Tracy Chapman at, I went looking for Joni Mitchell's Blue and found a beautiful copy deep in the unsorted pile. The other day, I wasn't actually looking: my girlfriend was on the hunt for a One Direction album (which she did find at another local), but I will never turn down some crate digging. I was browsing through a mish-mosh of sections as It was a bit too crowded for a thorough dive and stumbled upon a decently priced version of Whitney Houston's Whitney Houston, and then went looking for whatever other Whitney they had which was...Whitney. Looked like a good opportunity to add her to my collection and sounds like a fun Monday spin for me.

Whitney Houston - Whitney

PXL_20210329_134846412.MP.jpg

Last edited:
March 29: National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day - Play an album you got from your local Mom and Pop record store.

MFSB - Self titled

Picked this up last weekend at one of my favorite local spots. Wonderful instrumental soul/funk album from 1973. Got this original pressing for a great price and the record is in great condition. I was floored when the track “Something for Nothing” came on because I recognized it from Jay-Z’s “What More Can I Say”

A826940C-3182-46E1-A057-14E62A8343EB.jpeg

Last edited:

MFSB - Self titled

Picked this up last weekend at one of my favorite local spots. Wonderful instrumental soul/funk album from 1973. Got this original pressing for a great price and the record is in great condition. I was floored when the track “Something for Nothing” came because I recognized it from Jay-Z’s “What More Can I Say”

View attachment 93598

I love listening to older music and hearing a song for the first time and realizing you're familiar with it already because of a hip hop sample!

I love listening to older music and hearing a song for the first time and realizing you're familiar with it already because of a hip hop sample!
Yeah that’s always exciting. Once that track started I yelled to my wife in the other room “Babe! Ive heard this before! It was sampled on a Jay-Z song! I had no idea this is where it’s from! This is amazing!“ and she was just like “oh neat...” She was probably just thinking to herself “dude, stop shouting.” Lol

Yeah that’s always exciting. Once that track started I yelled to my wife in the other room “Babe! Ive heard this before! It was sampled on a Jay-Z song! I had no idea this is where it’s from! This is amazing!“ and she was just like “oh neat...” She was probably just thinking to herself “dude, stop shouting.” Lol

90D7F09F-E045-4DF2-B496-0C97CB39D97C.jpeg

Closest record shop is a six-hour drive from where I live. I only get a chance to go there when I visit my mom, so maybe every 4 to 6 months.
I picked this one up on my last trip in January.
If I'm not mistaken, @TenderLovingKiller® posted another album of his a while ago and I was intrigued by this music ever since. As I entered the shop this one was there up on the wall, waiting for me.

Moondog - More Moondog

EA4D00C9-B03D-425F-A1B7-F0AAF507A480.jpeg

Closest record shop is a six-hour drive from where I live. I only get a chance to go there when I visit my mom, so maybe every 4 to 6 months.
I picked this one up on my last trip in January.
If I'm not mistaken, @TenderLovingKiller® posted another album of his a while ago and I was intrigued by this music ever since. As I entered the shop this one was there up on the wall, waiting for me.

Moondog - More Moondog

View attachment 93622
I have his self-titled from 1969 (it's the 2017 RSD reissue) and I love it. I've spun it so many times. I could use more Moondog on my shelf.

haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited about this stuff, and then subsequently ignored by their wife! I just finished listening to the song and as soon as the piano intro ended and the full band kicked in I heard it right away. What a great song and sample! I actually get a little too much into sampling and the originals and have a playlist of my favorites. I've considered starting a thread on here to discuss favorite samples but for whatever reason never have. I guess I thought maybe I was the only one who nerded out on this stuff haha This just might be the discussion to push me to starting that thread.

Day 29 - Mom and Pop Business Owners Day

I’m lucky enough to have a LRS 10 min away that has a huge selection and can basically special order anything for me, too (I currently have 6 things on order 😬). I get most of my records there, including this one I picked up on Saturday. Also, it’s literally owned by a wife/husband combo, so very theme appropriate.

9328E3B9-2260-4F4D-B484-EDAA03AE1AB6.jpeg

haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited about this stuff, and then subsequently ignored by their wife! I just finished listening to the song and as soon as the piano intro ended and the full band kicked in I heard it right away. What a great song and sample! I actually get a little too much into sampling and the originals and have a playlist of my favorites. I've considered starting a thread on here to discuss favorite samples but for whatever reason never have. I guess I thought maybe I was the only one who nerded out on this stuff haha This just might be the discussion to push me to starting that thread.

Actually just did the thing haha. @jfitzy you should pop in and throw that MFSB/Jay sample in there, such a great one! Thread is here:

Actually just did the thing haha. @jfitzy you should pop in and throw that MFSB/Jay sample in there, such a great one! Thread is here:

Nice! Good idea, I just posted there!

Back