March 2021 Challenge Thread

March 29: National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day - Play an album you got from your local Mom and Pop record store.

The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin

A760EBD9-058D-4D1B-91C0-421C91C3A1D4.jpeg

There’s a shop down the street from where I work and it’s hard to not stop in after a stressful day. Their prices can either be insanely low or outrageously high, depending on if the owner looked it up on eBay or not. Nice guy, but it’s irritated me a couple times.

I got this record at my other local, which is harder to get to but worth going out of my way most times. This is the fantastic Intervention Records pressing, and it was brand new and priced lower than anywhere else.

Day 31 - backup

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Vol 1

I don't tend to buy second copies (and on the few occasions I have I sell the other copy - apart from Kind of Blue by Miles Davis where I have two copies) but this one I have three of and I love them all. It's a compilation of Poly-Rythmo's early singles and is very different to most of their albums, which normally have only two or three 10+ minute songs on them. My first copy was without the cover, then I bought one with a cover, and finally the reissue (with the original cover). The funny thing is I think all copies were courtesy of Superfly Records.

Thanks @LeeVing for a great month!

20210201_134802.jpg

Last edited:
March 31: World Backup Day - Play the album you have multiple copies of.

Childish Gambino - Because the Internet

I have multiple copies of very few albums, but as I posted just a few days ago, my love for this album made me feel like I needed the official release with the album art after already having that "bootleg" edition.

March 31: World Backup Day - Play the album you have the most copies of.

Well...I honestly thought this was going to be 801 ‎– 801 Live, but it seems I do have one other album that I have more copies of.

They went to this well a few times in the last couple of years - releasing the 45 RPM cut in a box set, then the blu ray deluxe version, then the 1 LP version. I don't think I need more copies.

Here is the rundown - none are actual doubles of the same release, though

1. Original US 1986 pressing w/ "Mermaid Smiled"
2. Reissue US 1986 pressing w/ "Dear God"
3. US 1986 Promo The Skylarking Interview With Andy Partridge - included the full album w/ interviews between songs - doesn't sound all that good at 30+ minutes a side.
4. 2010 45 RPM cut - with original "naughty bits" cover art - "Corrected Polarity"
5. 2016 45 RPM cut box set - also comes with a CD - "Corrected Polarity"
6. 2016 Blu Ray - 5.1 surround/bonus tracks/demos/ - "Corrected Polarity"
7. 2018 1 LP version - "Corrected Polarity" - cut with both "Mermaid Smiled" and "Dear God" - an easier listen being 1 LP, but I go for the 45 RPM cut

e14Qry.jpg

XTC ‎– Skylarking
Ape House ‎– APELPD108, 1986/2016

Cut by John Dent at Loud Mastering

1ICKt5.jpg

eQernl.jpg

Thanks to everyone that participated...it was fun. Looking forward to @Wicked Dreamer's month starting tomorrow.

Hey, made it through a month for once. Thanks for the fun cats @LeeVing !

March 31: World Backup Day - Play the album you have the most copies of.

There's two albums I have three copies of in my collection. The tie breaker to me is that one of them is because I have two stand-alones and one in a box set, while one is three unique stand-alone copies, so I'm taking the latter as the "winner" of this one.

At least til I decide I need that half speed of Back to Black

Just an ultra-solid group where two variants were found at a really good price and I spin the player copy quite often.

I'm With Her - See You Around

PXL_20210331_123018830.MP.jpg

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

I actually don’t own any duplicates. So I’m playing something that I INTEND to get multiples of. I have the AP mono pressing of this album, but I’ve recently come to accept that I prefer the stereo mix (blasphemy, I know). I acknowledge that the mono is what Brian intended when making this album, so I plan on keeping it. And I love this record so much, it’s one of the very, very few that owning two copies of won’t bother me.

3881873A-8809-424B-922F-EE3596000A2B.jpeg

I have a couple that are duplicates because of shipping errors. This one is intentional since I already had a copy, but then wanted to get a signed copy at a live show. I didn't get to meet Tash, but just bought the pre-signed record. Maybe next tour.

Tash Sultana - Flow State

PXL_20210331_131123484.jpg

Thanks @LeeVing ! 🍻

Day 31: World Backup Day

Black Pumas - Black Pumas (One Year Anniversary Release Deluxe Edition)

0C839979-72BC-467E-83D9-1489A6798843.jpeg

I bought the splatter pressing of the standard version near the end of 2019 then I bought the deluxe version in January of this year.

Thank you @LeeVing for hosting this month’s challenge and I’ll see y’all in the April thread which is now live:
April 2021 Challenge Thread

Everybody, as things wrap up here keep a look out for the April Challenge Threads @Wicked Dreamer will be dropping April Fools all month long...

The Grateful Dead - Blues For Allah
2AFC641B-4359-4FCB-8EA1-050A08660B83.jpeg

0FAB93CE-AC50-4425-8FD1-06373F394E42.jpeg

I really hate repurchasing albums. I used to do it for colored pressings but I have pretty much stopped that so now I only try to upgrade if the music sounds marketably better than the version I already own. Which made this purchase tough as I was really happy with my Rhino pressing. It was clean and flat and quiet basically everything you’d want in a modern reissue. Still, I couldn’t resist the siren call of the MoFi 45RPM pressing especially after recently acquiring and being wowed by the recent MoFi 45RPM of Mars Hotel. And yeah it sounds amazing, as good as the Rhino was the MoFi was worth it (at least that what I keep telling myself).

Also a bully to @LeeVing for putting together a Marvelous March Challenge. It’s been a blast!

March 28: It's my Birthday - Play an album you think I'd like...or something you just think I should hear.

Polmo Polpo - Like Hearts Swelling

First off, happy belated! I struggled with this one, so I've put it off for several days. But I think this record might be kind of up your alley. I know you like horror soundtracks and the like, and this album is mostly electronic/ambient, with kind of a spooky vibe, so you may dig it. It's by a Toronto artist and producer who now records under his real name, Sandro Perri.

PXL_20210331_170512277.jpg

Neil Young "Tonight's The Night Live at The Roxy" (2018 Reprise)

I have two of these because I accidentally messed up the first copy. It's such a great show I had to replace my copy. The bad copy is in the goodwill pile because it's not suitable to PIF :( ....

IMG_1403.JPG

Back