March 2021 Challenge Thread

March 28: It's my Birthday - Play an album you think I'd like...or something you just think I should hear.

Polmo Polpo - Like Hearts Swelling

First off, happy belated! I struggled with this one, so I've put it off for several days. But I think this record might be kind of up your alley. I know you like horror soundtracks and the like, and this album is mostly electronic/ambient, with kind of a spooky vibe, so you may dig it. It's by a Toronto artist and producer who now records under his real name, Sandro Perri.

View attachment 93830

I'll see if I can find a stream of it. Sounds interesting.

Day 31 - World Backup Day

The US/UK versions of Rubber Soul have slightly different tracklists, both really good and work well in album format (I have slight preference for the US tracklist). Both mono of course (US OG and UK reissue). Both also unfortunately have the worst Beatles track (Run for Your Life).

4AF4BD44-CCA0-4EE9-B939-632B810AC975.jpeg
F1FAC92B-2C42-4143-A526-A68138EBF670.jpeg

Day 31 - World Backup Day

The US/UK versions of Rubber Soul have slightly different tracklists, both really good and work well in album format (I have slight preference for the US tracklist). Both mono of course (US OG and UK reissue). Both also unfortunately have the worst Beatles track (Run for Your Life).

View attachment 93875
View attachment 93876
The US version has “I’ve Just Seen Her Face” so I am partial to the US version too.

I was on hiatus. I am not finished with March. 🤪

March 19: I'm Feeling Pretty today...Play a record with the prettiest, coolest, most interesting color combination.

All Them Witches - Nothing As The Ideal

Snagged the bandcamp exclusive 45rpm pressing a while ago. It doesn't sound the best, but boy is it pretty to look at.

IMG_1328[2685].JPGIMG_1330[2683].JPG

March 20: First Day of Spring - Play an album that reminds you of the Spring season.

Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue

So, Mr. Blue Sky is the obvious song that reminds everyone of Spring (and to a larger extent the entire Concerto For A Rainy Day) but I think Across The Border is where this one really kicks into that feeling of the world opening up like Winter dissolving into Spring. It talks about "the sun beating down on the main street" and the "Mardi Gras blowin strong". Mardi Gras, to me, is that death knell of winter when we start being able to look forward to things getter nicer and nicer day by day. Just as Cinco De Mayo signals the start of Spring turning to Summer for us in the Midwest. Spring here start when Winter is still holding on....March 20th saw temps in the 40's here. So, Spring to us is more like the End-Of-The-Coldsnap-Beginning-Of-The-Wetsnap Festival. It's fitting that Night in the City and Starlight follow as the proverbial "Darkest before the Dawn" songs. Then we have Jungle which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anything, but all the animal sounds in the background could signify the wildlife coming back up from migration and hibernation. Then we get the little insturmental interlude letting us know something good is on the way....

And now our rainy season in the Midwest. All of April and most of May. The Concerto For A Rainy Day. Our entire Spring. Until we get that warm air blossom in late May and Spring is officially here just in time to transition into Summer!!!

Running down the avenue see how the sun shines brightly, in the city, on the streets where once was pity....
IMG_1336[2681].JPG

March 21: National Teenager Day - Play something from your teen years.

Weezer - Pinkerton

Pretty much THE album of my teenage years. My friends and I listened to a lot of things, but this stayed around well into our twenties. As a matter of fact, we got the cops called on us for singing along to this in 2018 because my friend James built his own amp and it stayed at Volume 11. We were all meeting up at his place in Chicago for Riot Fest and this album was played sometime around 4am. Imagine 7 drunk 30-something year-old's belting this out into Logan Square. I'd have called the cops on us, too. Ha.

Bonus lyric booklet that I got by writing into the address in the CD booklet back when the album came out.

Screw this crap I've had it! I ain't no Mr. Cool....
IMG_1339[2737].JPG

March 22: Metal Monday. Play some metal. \m/

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

One of my favorite Metal albums with probably my favorite Metal song on it, Hallowed Be Thy Name, which I heard for the first time during the Jamie Thomas section of an old Toy Machine video. Was it Welcome to Hell? Maybe it wasn't a Toy Machine video, but I'm pretty sure it was Jamie Thomas and I KNOW it was an old skate video.

When the priest comes to read my my Last Rites!
IMG_1340[2735].JPG

March 23: The GOAT - Play your favorite Greatest Hits album - or a compilation from a single artist.

Elvis Presley - 24 Karat Hits!

I've always liked Elvis, but after living with my girlfriend for 4 years I've come to love Elvis. We went to Graceland a couple years ago and it was actually really cool. This collection is great and sounds absolutely amazing.

Wise men say......only fools rush in....
IMG_1341[2733].JPG

March 21: National Teenager Day - Play something from your teen years.

Weezer - Pinkerton

Pretty much THE album of my teenage years. My friends and I listened to a lot of things, but this stayed around well into our twenties. As a matter of fact, we got the cops called on us for singing along to this in 2018 because my friend James built his own amp and it stayed at Volume 11. We were all meeting up at his place in Chicago for Riot Fest and this album was played sometime around 4am. Imagine 7 drunk 30-something year-old's belting this out into Logan Square. I'd have called the cops on us, too. Ha.

Bonus lyric booklet that I got by writing into the address in the CD booklet back when the album came out.

Screw this crap I've had it! I ain't no Mr. Cool....
View attachment 93985

March 22: Metal Monday. Play some metal. \m/

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

One of my favorite Metal albums with probably my favorite Metal song on it, Hallowed Be Thy Name, which I heard for the first time during the Jamie Thomas section of an old Toy Machine video. Was it Welcome to Hell? Maybe it wasn't a Toy Machine video, but I'm pretty sure it was Jamie Thomas and I KNOW it was an old skate video.

When the priest comes to read my my Last Rites!
View attachment 93986

March 23: The GOAT - Play your favorite Greatest Hits album - or a compilation from a single artist.

Elvis Presley - 24 Karat Hits!

I've always liked Elvis, but after living with my girlfriend for 4 years I've come to love Elvis. We went to Graceland a couple years ago and it was actually really cool. This collection is great and sounds absolutely amazing.

Wise men say......only fools rush in....
View attachment 93987
Hallowed be thy Name is a top-five all-time riff.

March 24: National Cocktail Day - Play an album to drink to....or just drink and play something you like.

Leo Addeo and His Orchestra - More Hawaii in Hi-Fi

I've been on a tropical/tiki drink journey for the last few months. Just collecting rums and recipes and giving my dipsomania a purpose! Inside Mr. Iron Giant here you'll find a Painkiller cocktail. But, this one has Smith & Cross rum in it, as suggested by someone on reddit. On the turntable you'll find some Lo-Fi Hi-Fi polynesian music that is neither exciting nor offending. So, in other words, perfect background music for having citrusy drink to unwind on this weekending Thursday.

IMG_1344[2747].JPG

March 25: Sober Up. Play something to recover from a hangover.

Rachael & Vilray - Rachael & Vilray

So, I needed to play something that would be good for a hangover, BUT ALSO be good for drinkin', since I'm at the infancy of a 3-day weekend bender. This drunkeness is barely a newborn; I can't give up on it, yet! This is an album I purchased earlier this month after @RowBearToe played it in this very thread. Laundromat Swing is on right now and I'm realizing that I'm a fucking genius and this was THE PERFECT ALBUM to play for both drinking a Smoky Old Fashioned and nursing a hangover (whenever that shall come). Cheers, @RowBearToe

Darlin tell me why we ever part.........
IMG_1345[2745].JPG

Back