March 2021 Challenge Thread

Welp, it took 27 days for me to realize you're doing an all live albums month!
Awesome picks, I actually bought Root Down after you posted it.

haha... it's not like I advertised it or expected anyone to pay attention! I did fail on the last Soundtrack day when I posted Reservoir Dogs (I didn't think of 101 back then and I unfortunately don't have a vinyl copy of Stop Making Sense). I'll have a hard time for 2021 favorite day so I think I'll mulligan that one too. And I may have to interview @LeeVing to see what I could shoehorn tomorrow.

These threads are deadly when it comes to purchase ideas! Root Down is such a great record. I love that greasy energy of the organ and the funkiness. The Beasties had a great ear adapting it. It's the kind of jazz that still makes your ass shake as you listen.

March 27: Soundtrack Saturday!!!

Since this just popped up on my Twitter feed saying today is it's 40th Anniversary, I figured I should open it and give it a spin. I've had it for 4 months but haven't gotten around to it. I do already have an original 1981 pressing, so I wasn't in a hurry.

This oral history link is a great read, too.

If your a fan of Mann's Heat or Manhunter, this is worth watching. It is his first feature film. As a former Illinoisan, it's also VERY Chicago.

I will be continuing this Soundtrack Saturday theme in the spinning thread, as I have more new soundtracks/scores to spin.

Tangerine Dream ‎– Thief
Mondo ‎– MOND-144, 1981/2020

Blue/White Color-In-Color With Orange/Yellow/White Splatter, "Blow Torch" variant

Pressed at GZ

VqSBvO.jpg

c4rtpy.jpg

Last edited:

"And even if he was a lazy man - and The Dude was most certainly that - quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County .. which would place him highest in the runnin' for laziest worldwide."

So I just went ahead and picked my avatar's soundtrack, laziest possible choice.
It's a great soundtrack or, whatever, man...

D07279C0-22D6-48D7-92DF-9286D771CEB6.jpeg

Last edited:
Romeo + Juliet is definitely up there, but for me peak 90s weird soundtrack energy will always be Batman Forever- it's like what you'd get from a malfunctioning AI after you fed it a bunch of Wikipedia articles on 90s music.
I almost played that one! At least there’s kind of this darker theme going on with the Batman Forever, with PJ Harvey and Nick Cave and electro-U2.

Nujabes - Samurai Champloo Soundtrack
B71069FB-4D3A-4850-B18E-4888F38D98B5.jpeg

When I think about soundtrack options for some reason I always forget about my Anime soundtracks; I have Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and This, the Samurai Champloo soundtrack which is fucking great. Thankfully I remembered this time. This is one of the relatively recent supposedly “unauthorized” pressings, it wasn’t advertised as such when it was initially listed, as I probably wouldn’t have spent the $35 I did on it but if it is a bootleg they did one hell of a job on it. This pressing sounds better than some of my officially released albums.

Day 27: Soundtrack Saturday

V/A - Music from the Motion Picture “New Jack City”

F2BECE84-5AB9-4390-A5E2-5DDD415B79D6.jpeg

Also, for those participating in the April Challenge thread, there’s a little something I need your opinion on in the Dungeon Master thread:

I was thinking of going back to revealing each theme individually per day like I did the last time I hosted a challenge thread. What do y’all think? React with 🔥 for yay or :( for nay.

Day 27: Soundtrack Saturday

V/A - Music from the Motion Picture “New Jack City”

View attachment 93445

Also, for those participating in the April Challenge thread, there’s a little something I need your opinion on in the Dungeon Master thread:

Even better, we post our pick blind, then we are rewarded or punished for getting it right or wrong when you post the real theme at the end of the day!

(OK, that's a horrible idea. Yours is better!)

Certainly one of the most prominent soundtracks in the last handful of years (quite arguably not even among the Top 2 for Chazelle movies, but prominence wise is up there). Highlighted by Oscar winner City of Stars and should-have-been-an-Oscar-winner-instead Audition (The Fool Who Dreams), it has as much charm as you can muster up for a movie about Ryan Gosling being a jazz expert in a movie that certainly takes some narrative liberties.

(I actually do like the movie a ton, it just has some blind spots).

Pressings on these were inconsistent for sure but the copy I scrounged up came out really good, and it's fun to throw on. Plus, I need to save the soundtrack I wanted to play for another day...

Various - La La Land (Soundtrack)

PXL_20210328_000025392.jpg

March 28: It's my Birthday - Play an album you think I'd like...or something you just think I should hear

Marilyn Manson "The Pale Emperor"

I've seen @LeeVing say a few weeks ago in his status that he likes the music of Marilyn Manson and wondering whether it's still okay to enjoy the music despite the alleged problematic behavior of the artist. I say yes. I think we should be allowed to seperate art from artist, especially when we've known and loved the music before the artist has failed in some way. So I thought I play some MM today as I also enjoy his albums.

Happy Birthday @LeeVing 🎂🎉 have a wonderful day and a great new year of life.

IMG_20210328_102246.jpg

Also this vinyl has an incredible soundstage, very well mastered.

March 28: It's my Birthday - Play an album you think I'd like...or something you just think I should hear

The Beatles - The Beatles

B79550B4-11C3-4041-BC57-B56CE652CB46.jpeg

First, everyone should listen to Buck Meek’s new record, but I’ve already mentioned this several times so I’ll play this for today instead.

The rule in our house is that you can’t open your birthday presents until you dance to the entirety of The Beatles’ “Birthday.” I challenge you to follow these rules today. Better get to it, @LeeVing ! Happy birthday!

Last edited:
Hi @LeeVing ! So here's that interview of me trying to figure out what to play for you today. As alluded to earlier, I self-imposed a meta theme this month to force me to play certain records I don't often get on the table. But this is limiting my choices badly for today. I know you collect soundtracks and have an affinity for heavier music, but those are not possible if I stick to my meta theme. That said I also know our tastes overlap here and there. So do you like Lou Reed? Jeff Rosenstock? Johnny Cash? Gil Scott-Heron? The Numbers Band? Tom Waits? Muddy Waters? If you'd be having a beer with me & spinning a record for your birthday, which would you pick?

Back