March 2021 Challenge Thread

March 30: Best of 2021

Destroyer - Kaputt

I haven't bought any 2021-released records this year because I haven't really loved anything yet, and I've tried to cut way down on purchases such that I only buy stuff I really love. On my 30th birthday a couple years ago, on my trip to the record store, they were playing the title track from this album and I was transfixed. Immediately came home and streamed the whole album and it became one of my most played albums since. I finally picked it up on my birthday this year. It's truly incredible. Sipping some red wine and spinning this record as this four-day weekend begins and feeling sophisticated as hell.

PXL_20210401_223210647.jpg

March 26: Make Up Your Own Holiday Day - Make up your own reason to play something.

Brainiac - Electro-Shock For President

Today's Holiday will be known as Outriders ain't workin and Xbox Live Sucks The Big One Day!!!! All raise your glass to Xbox Live Sucks The Big One! Huzzah! Huzzah! I'm sending Electro-Shock out into the world today so that maybe he can get into some of the servers there in Washington or wherever & give em a nice buzzy jolt-jolt to wake up.

There's a plastic man in a sportscar....
IMG_1346[2761].JPG

March 27: Soundtrack Saturday!!!

Simbaa, Mufasa, Scar, Pumbaa, Timone and the rest of the Safari Gang (w/ special guest Sir Elton John) - Lion King Soundtrack

Listen. I know myself and I'm comfortable with the me that I am. March 27th was my birthday, so I was in a hot tub far from my record player. But, I played this album today not just to follow the rules, but because the me that I am loves it. So, I played it for me as much as for this challenge. I still feel feelings when the line comes up in Circle Of Life and they say:

"There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found"

If that ain't the gat damn truth I don't know what is. It reminds me of that old line that Red says in Shawshank - Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'. Ain't that the goddamned truth.

Shit still rings as true to 41 year old 'frames as it did to 15 year old 'frames

hakuna matata
IMG_1347[2763].JPG

March 28: It's my Birthday - Play an album you think I'd like...or something you just think I should hear.

Villagers of Ioannina CIty - Age of Aquarius

First off, Happy Belated Birthday. Even as we get older birthdays should be something we respect and reminisce on. As far as something you would like, @LeeVing , I've not a fucking clue. I'd post a soundtrack, but you seem to be doing some Smithsonian Level archiving over there, so I ain't doing that. I do know that anyone who's ever had a fancy for electric guitars played loud on repeated grooves should check out this Villagers of Ioannina City album. Once of my top 5 for 2019. It's a long album, but also too short. Snarf.

...for all the immigrants of life, the underdogs.....here's to the wanderers of mind, dreamers of the new world....
IMG_1349[2769].JPG

March 24: National Cocktail Day - Play an album to drink to....or just drink and play something you like.

I missed a few days, but I just realized a recent acquisition fulfills part of a list. There's a vinyl & cocktails book that is pretty fun. Additionally, I am probably one of about 5 people that actually enjoy the vmp cocktails. I have tried quite a few of them, even printed out a bunch, thanks to a redditor that posted all of them.

Anyway, I have several records in the cocktail book. Thumbing through it today, I realized Folsom Prison is in there, and better yet, I have all the ingredients!

Without further ado...

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

PXL_20210401_235627781.jpgPXL_20210401_235448529.jpgPXL_20210401_234348109.jpgPXL_20210401_234546268.jpg

March 24: National Cocktail Day - Play an album to drink to....or just drink and play something you like.

I missed a few days, but I just realized a recent acquisition fulfills part of a list. There's a vinyl & cocktails book that is pretty fun. Additionally, I am probably one of about 5 people that actually enjoy the vmp cocktails. I have tried quite a few of them, even printed out a bunch, thanks to a redditor that posted all of them.

Anyway, I have several records in the cocktail book. Thumbing through it today, I realized Folsom Prison is in there, and better yet, I have all the ingredients!

Without further ado...

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

View attachment 94047View attachment 94048View attachment 94049View attachment 94050
I've always wanted to try one or two of these cocktails but am not a huge cocktail guy and apart from beer only usually have whiskey and gin in the house. What are your favourites?

I've always wanted to try one or two of these cocktails but am not a huge cocktail guy and apart from beer only usually have whiskey and gin in the house. What are your favourites?
For Whiskey, I like an old fashioned. You can make it as dry or sweet as you like. My wife usually puts an extra spoon of syrup in hers. I usually put a bit less than the prescribed sugar.
There are many videos on how to make it, here's one that I like, and I do recommend the orange bitters (but it's not required):

I have really gotten into gin the past couple of years. My go to is a simple gin and tonic. I like a bit less juniper flavor in my gin, so Hendricks or Botanist, or Aviation are good for me. Just a squeeze of lime, a couple ounces of gin, and top off with a good tonic like Fevertree (they have lots of flavors, experiment!). I visited Toronto a few years back and there was a micro vodka producer in one of your markets, called Spirit of York. They made some flavored vodka that could work as gin, too. I brought a bottle home, it's empty now :p
I've also gotten into martini's. There are too many variations and subtleties to list here.

Now if you're asking my favorite cocktail from the vmp or that book, then here are a few.

Beach House + Gila
2oz. Gin
0.5 oz Honey
0.25 oz Lemon Juice
0.25 oz Grapefruit Juice

This could also work with Snoop Dogg as Gin & Juice. Ruby Red grapefruit is great, if you can find it.

TV On The Radio + The Provincial Sour
1 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
0.75 oz. Lime juice
0.25 oz. simple syrup
3 oz. Any citrusy tart sour beer

Being a beer person, you might like this one, too. I used one from Upland Brewing called Revive

Cheers!

For Whiskey, I like an old fashioned. You can make it as dry or sweet as you like. My wife usually puts an extra spoon of syrup in hers. I usually put a bit less than the prescribed sugar.
There are many videos on how to make it, here's one that I like, and I do recommend the orange bitters (but it's not required):

I have really gotten into gin the past couple of years. My go to is a simple gin and tonic. I like a bit less juniper flavor in my gin, so Hendricks or Botanist, or Aviation are good for me. Just a squeeze of lime, a couple ounces of gin, and top off with a good tonic like Fevertree (they have lots of flavors, experiment!). I visited Toronto a few years back and there was a micro vodka producer in one of your markets, called Spirit of York. They made some flavored vodka that could work as gin, too. I brought a bottle home, it's empty now :p
I've also gotten into martini's. There are too many variations and subtleties to list here.

Now if you're asking my favorite cocktail from the vmp or that book, then here are a few.

Beach House + Gila
2oz. Gin
0.5 oz Honey
0.25 oz Lemon Juice
0.25 oz Grapefruit Juice

This could also work with Snoop Dogg as Gin & Juice. Ruby Red grapefruit is great, if you can find it.

TV On The Radio + The Provincial Sour
1 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
0.75 oz. Lime juice
0.25 oz. simple syrup
3 oz. Any citrusy tart sour beer

Being a beer person, you might like this one, too. I used one from Upland Brewing called Revive

Cheers!

Amazing, thanks! I was mostly asking the latter but appreciate the other info, too. I have been a fan of the few old fashioneds I've had in my life and will try to grab what I need later this weekend. Cheers!

Leo Addeo and His Orchestra - More Hawaii in Hi-Fi

I've been on a tropical/tiki drink journey for the last few months. Just collecting rums and recipes and giving my dipsomania a purpose! Inside Mr. Iron Giant here you'll find a Painkiller cocktail. But, this one has Smith & Cross rum in it, as suggested by someone on reddit. On the turntable you'll find some Lo-Fi Hi-Fi polynesian music that is neither exciting nor offending. So, in other words, perfect background music for having citrusy drink to unwind on this weekending Thursday.

View attachment 94007

March 25: Sober Up. Play something to recover from a hangover.

Rachael & Vilray - Rachael & Vilray

So, I needed to play something that would be good for a hangover, BUT ALSO be good for drinkin', since I'm at the infancy of a 3-day weekend bender. This drunkeness is barely a newborn; I can't give up on it, yet! This is an album I purchased earlier this month after @RowBearToe played it in this very thread. Laundromat Swing is on right now and I'm realizing that I'm a fucking genius and this was THE PERFECT ALBUM to play for both drinking a Smoky Old Fashioned and nursing a hangover (whenever that shall come). Cheers, @RowBearToe

Darlin tell me why we ever part.........
View attachment 94008

I'm so glad you're liking it! And yes, you are a genius haha

March 31: World Backup Day

The Band - Music From Big Pink

This is one of my favourite album of all time. In 2018 it celebrated its 50th anniversary and it was remixed pretty drastically. A lot of traditionalists don't like the new mix as it's pretty different, but I find it sounds more alive than ever, and the 45rpm pressing is great. Plus I've watched two documentaries on the Basement Tapes recently, so I really wanted to hear "Tears of Rage" and "This Wheel's on Fire." I still have my regular pressing of the original mix, but I rarely reach for it now.

PXL_20210402_231153841.jpg

Back