March 2021 Challenge Thread

Day 28: It’s @LeeVing’s Birthday

Happy belated birthday @LeeVing!

I know you dig soundtracks, so this one's for you. Do you have it? I don't think I've seen you post this one.

Thanks...and Yep I have it. It is one of my favorite of Carpenter's scores.

RnrX8x.jpg

XYUjBh.jpg

And also this one

RkUU2o.jpg

March 29: National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day - Play an album you got from your local Mom and Pop record store.

My son got me a gift card from a local store that I've been going to off and on since the 80s called Rock of Ages. I finally got there a couple weeks ago, I bought this and Hot Sauce Committee. I have a big enough stack for some Spin-Cleaning tonight so this one gets a spin for the occasion.

shaft.jpeg

March 30: Best of 2021 - Play your favorite new album of the year. (New release or new to you...either is fine)

Jeremiah Fraites - Piano Piano

My favorite release so far this year is probably Celeste - Not Your Muse, but the price of that single LP is tough to justify. Maybe if it were a 2xLP with the bonus tracks I'd bite. I've played Aaron Frazer recently and some other favorites haven't been pressed on vinyl. All that to say, this isn't my favorite album, but is probably in my top 5 so far this year. It's such a beautiful album and definitely worth a listen!

March 30: Best of 2021 - Play your favorite new album of the year. (New release or new to you...either is fine)

Madlib - Sound Ancestors

I’ll admit, I haven’t listened to many 2021 releases. But so far, this new Madlib project is my favorite.

2EBC607F-794E-469E-A3A5-F8220D38B153.jpeg

This year has had a ton of singles I've loved but not a ton of albums. My Top 5 or so contains one album I put in this challenge already (hey Julien), a few I don't have on vinyl, and this one. Thanks to the PIF Thread and @WhiteDahlias for putting this one in my home and I saved the first spin for this day.

This is some ultra solid bedroom pop.

Claud - Super Monster

PXL_20210330_134539826.jpg

I'm taking a break from my self-imposed meta theme to highlight this record. Admittedly, there is no new release live album worth of mention. 2021 is no 2020 for me so far though. There must have been a solid 10 new releases I loved by this time last year. Only a few in 2021.

This one stands out for me, along with Aaron Frazer. Though I imagine you guys will give me new things to discover through this challenge.

Kiwi Jr. "Cooler Returns" (2021 Sub Pop)

IMG_1402.JPG

Day 30 - Best of 2021 so far

Fergus McCreadie - Cairn

We've left for Easter holidays by the sea and I forgot to play for the last two days so I'm going to have to go on archive picks. I've bought v little new music this year sadly but this is my favourite - Scottish, piano-led jazz, a little like a more chilled out EST. Gorgeous.

20210220_230013.jpg

Day 29: National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day

The Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits

A83D3958-52AB-423C-8319-5539E7E491D3.jpeg

I do most, if not all, of my record shopping through independent shops these days. This is one of the last albums I bought from one of my favourite shops before they closed for renovations last year (they still take orders online tho).

Tash Sultana - Terra Firma

View attachment 93700

This is new to me... talk about an album cover not at all being indicative of the content! I was totally expecting some sort of heavy rock, LOL. I need to spend a little more time with this album, I've enjoyed the quick scan I just did.

This is new to me... talk about an album cover not at all being indicative of the content! I was totally expecting some sort of heavy rock, LOL. I need to spend a little more time with this album, I've enjoyed the quick scan I just did.

This is Tash's second full album. It is a bit more chill than their first. Tash is an amazing artist that performs all the instruments and mixes them wonderfully. I'm glad that you checked them out and like it! 🍻

March 30: Best of 2021

It was a toss up between this and Chevelle - NIRATIAS...and I'll probably play that later today in the spinnin' thread.

This dark ambient of this wins.

Jim Williams ‎– Possessor
Death Waltz Recording Company/Lakeshore Records ‎– DW176, 2021

45 RPM

Pressed at GZ

gQ7Vsr.jpg

ZHhRpx.jpg

Here is a great interview with the composer -

Last edited:
March 29: National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day - Play an album you got from your local Mom and Pop record store
The Blow - Paper Television
45A3F7C3-5191-4ACA-9BDF-72CA1595B89D.jpeg

This is doubly Mom & Pop, purchased from my local Hi-Voltage Records here in Tacoma, WA but also an album put out on Calvin Johnson’s Olympia Washington based, K Records.
9BC3CD3C-D38B-46CF-AF19-96CA5DF63305.jpeg

58C03A98-BF06-4375-94AF-74635CCE2AE4.jpeg

Bonobo - Black Sands (10th Anniversary Edition)

I've actually played all my 2021 releases already for different days of the challenge except Madlib, who was already covered today, so I'm going highlight a reissue that actually came out in December of last year but that I just got this week. Things are getting all sorts of chill in here.

20210330_134507.jpg

March 30: Best of 2021
Play your favorite new album of the year. (New release or new to you...either is fine)
Black Country, New Road - For The First Time
7C117FFB-0FE8-498C-9099-F12FDFF06631.jpeg
Lots of fun stuff so far in 2021, others have already played fantastic releases from Madlib, Kiwi Jr., and Morgan Wade. I am going with another top notch release from this year Black Country, New Road.

Back