March 2021 Challenge Thread

March 28: It's my Birthday - Play an album you think I'd like...or something you just think I should hear.

Happy Birthday!

It’s pretty clear that you love your soundtracks, but what struck me was the insanely cool collection of horror / suspense soundtracks and scores you have. I personally am not a huge suspense fan usually, but when it hits right it hits.

So here is my share. The movie was a very small indie movie from 2017 that was a supernatural / drama film with romance, loss, some dread...and a ghost. The soundtrack is sublime - the only lyrical song is Dark Rooms’ I Get Overwhelmed but the rest of the score flows from it. It’s beautiful, dark, ethereal, and tone perfect for the movie. It does lose a little something if taken separately from the film but it works regardless. The film and music left me in shambles.

And I am thrilled to be broken again

Daniel Hart - A Ghost Story

PXL_20210328_145359508.MP.jpg

March 28: It's my Birthday - Play an album you think I'd like...or something you just think I should hear.

Childish Gambino - Because the Internet

Snooping through your Discogs I noticed you have all of the Childish Gambino albums on vinyl, so I'm fairly confident you already know and like this album. However, my birthday gift to you (if you don't already know about it) is the Dissect podcast. In season 7 he breaks down BTI track by track and it's amazing! I loved this album before I listened to the podcast, but have a whole different level of appreciation for it after listening to it. I had no idea about the stuff that was going on in his personal life, the crazy references and word play throughout the album, the duality of the entire album, how closely tied the screenplay was to the album, or how he created a world with this release, not just an album. The podcast sucked me in and I couldn't get enough of it, and I'm not usually a podcast person. If you haven't listened to it already, I think you'll really enjoy it! Happy birthday, @LeeVing!

First... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

To get an idea of what to play, I went and looked at your posts in What's Spinning, all stalker-like, and saw an album by Kid Dakota, which reminded me that I got one of his albums in a Graveface mystery box this week that I need to spin. So I'm listening to this one (and this artist) for the first time right now!

Kid Dakota - A Winner's Shadow

20210328_093822~2.jpg

Hi @LeeVing ! So here's that interview of me trying to figure out what to play for you today. As alluded to earlier, I self-imposed a meta theme this month to force me to play certain records I don't often get on the table. But this is limiting my choices badly for today. I know you collect soundtracks and have an affinity for heavier music, but those are not possible if I stick to my meta theme. That said I also know our tastes overlap here and there. So do you like Lou Reed? Jeff Rosenstock? Johnny Cash? Gil Scott-Heron? The Numbers Band? Tom Waits? Muddy Waters? If you'd be having a beer with me & spinning a record for your birthday, which would you pick?

Of that list...I'd probably go with Tom Waits or Johnny Cash

Of that list...I'd probably go with Tom Waits or Johnny Cash

Sounds good! Here's a cold beer, man. 🍺 Happy birthday! 🍻

Just got this three days ago so first time spinning.

Johnny Cash "At Folsom Prison" (1968 Columbia; 2021 VMP reissue)

IMG_1400.JPG

I don't think @LeeVing has this in his impressive collection. They are a three member psyche rock metal band. I saw them on a recommendation in the old forums. I think it was @ranbalam who first posted about them. I first saw them in a super small club, only about 50 people could fit into the space. I think COVID killed that venue, sadly. I was going to see them again at a different venue, but COVID killed that, too. Hopefully soon all bands and clubs will open up again.

MVIMG_20181114_212922.jpg

King Buffalo - Longing To Be The Mountain

Signed vinyl and also one of the highest selling items on discogs (only one sold though lol).

PXL_20210328_204119654.jpg

Happy Birthday!!

Day 28 - Happy birthday, @LeeVing !

Here’s a great doom metal album you might like (if you don’t know it already). If you like the vocalist (Kristina Esfandiari), check out her solo work as Miserable as well.

Hope you’re having a great day!

King Woman - Created in the Image of Suffering

0BAF3420-F78A-4EB8-8A63-CD825F50C956.jpeg

March 28: It's my Birthday!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. Not a whole lot happening here, though. We ordered some BBQ yesterday and I had some leftovers for lunch today. My daughter does want to get something at Baskin Robbins later, so we'll be headed down the street for that soon.

As for what I'm playing for myself now, I got this in the mail today, so that's what I thought I should hear.

The Cure ‎– Greatest Hits
Fiction Records ‎– RB1 559252, 2001/2017

Pressed at GZ

lWVznh.jpg

RfphGD.jpg

March 29: National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day - Play an album you got from your local Mom and Pop record store.

I have to confess that I'm very rarely buying in local record stores which has to do with none being anywhere close to where I live and me not driving a car. In general I'm buying most things online and rarely go to any stores.
I wanted to visit the record stores in my area more, but then the pandemic had started and now they mostly are closed since the start of November. Once we're back to normal, I will try to visit them more often. I used to do that a lot when I was a teenager and young adult looking for CDs, but then buying online started to feel more comfortable.

However, here's a record I've picked up in a store. A great Indie Rock album

Beach Baby "No mind no money"

IMG_20210329_090709.jpg

March 29: National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day - Play an album you got from your local Mom and Pop record store.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III

I don't really have a local store because there aren't any dedicated record stores anywhere nearby, but there is a used bookstore that also sells some records. I used to go there frequently to see what new stuff they had but haven't been in a while. This is one of the best records I grabbed from there.

My better local store closed last year - somewhat covid related / somewhat just retiring. They weren't the best store ever, but it was still good to have an option. The other one in town is not worth going to. The place is a mess. The owner is a hassle to deal with, most records aren't priced, so he goes to Discogs/Popsike/Ebay and prices them when checking out.

Anyway - I picked this up about 6 years ago when I was on jury duty for 2 weeks (it was a Grand Jury and we met Mon/Wed/Fri for 2 weeks). One day we had an extended period around the lunch hour, so I walked a few blocks from the courthouse to do some digging.

Jimi Hendrix ‎– Are You Experienced / Axis : Bold As Love
Barclay ‎– 80 581/582, ~1975

French two-fer
Are You Experienced is Mono

Artwork is by Moebius

Pressed at C.I.D.I.S.

Nag1Xi.jpg

JvgG6M.jpg

ao8qtq.jpg

Back