Vinyl Me Please Essentials

signed up this morning for Soft Bulletin (I'll sell it or my old copy whichever I like less) and Jorge Ben

Confirmed getting QOTSA now and maybe Jay Som? It's limited to 500. But I kind of want Isley's too
The Isley Brothers sounds magnificent! Get it! Much more worth it than Jay Som in my opinion! And also, I have a feeling Isley Brothers will sell out before Jay Som!

One thing I will credit VMP for is being very open about the existence of the standard edition on their details section of the announcement page for QOTSA. I'm glad they're not pretending their version is the only option, and tout the deluxe packaging as a sign to members showing their value. Say what you will about VMP (there's a lot to say, surely), but they've done great with the SFTD reissue. Can't wait to get mine!

One thing I will credit VMP for is being very open about the existence of the standard edition on their details section of the announcement page for QOTSA. I'm glad they're not pretending their version is the only option, and tout the deluxe packaging as a sign to members showing their value. Say what you will about VMP (there's a lot to say, surely), but they've done great with the SFTD reissue. Can't wait to get mine!

Given that qotsa.com went to the trouble of adding a menu link to 'Vinyl Me Please' on their website, its the least VMP could've done. :)

qotsa-tab.jpg

Last edited:

I think you’re giving them more credit that they’re due. They gave a big you must sign up for 3 months to guarantee this record advance pre release hype before QOTSA had even announced the standard...

That’s called damage control, not transparency.

What damage are they controlling? They are about to make a boatload of money and the QOTSA website even directs to VMP for the deluxe edition. I know this forum is firmly entrenched in the VMP is evil camp, but this ain't it.
The well documented 3 month sign up scam. I believe you’ve been called out for your VMP apologist nature before, which you mostly denied. I guess we just got confirmation.

The well documented 3 month sign up scam. I believe you’ve been called out for your VMP apologist nature before, which you mostly denied. I guess we just got confirmation.
The 3 month sign up that is required for new members is now a scam? I have indeed been called out for not being hysterically anti VMP, sure. They do plenty I don't agree with, I just try not to be a child about it. If you come to these threads to just hate on the topic of the thread, I think your motivations are more questionable than my own.

In his defense, this forum is hotbed echo chamber of VMP hate. Sometimes it might be justified but it’s usually overboard.

I’m not going to deny that that can happen around here, but in this case I think the backlash was much lighter than it should have been, I assume mostly due to the fact that people were finally getting an album that they really wanted, and they didn’t really care how. It was an incredibly shady business move.

The 3 month sign up that is required for new members is now a scam? I have indeed been called out for not being hysterically anti VMP, sure. They do plenty I don't agree with, I just try not to be a child about it. If you come to these threads to just hate on the topic of the thread, I think your motivations are more questionable than my own.
Apparently you don’t have any of the relevant details around this issue and I’m not going to waste my time informing you.

Last edited:
Stop.

They are talking about announcing the next 3 months at that time. It was a way of jumping the gun and getting 3 month sign ups before Queens could announce their release of it.

Stop.

They are talking about announcing the next 3 months at that time. It was a way of jumping the gun and getting 3 month sign ups before Queens could announce their release of it.

Bang on! It was sneaky and not a nice strategy to play. I’m happy to get the nice colour and because of the dollar to euro exchange rate at the moment it’s not going to be more than the standard and I’m getting a nice coloured mono aretha the month after. If it’d had been followed up by something of the derisory standard of essentials April-September I’d have been majorly pissed off!

Bang on! It was sneaky and not a nice strategy to play. I’m happy to get the nice colour and because of the dollar to euro exchange rate at the moment it’s not going to be more than the standard and I’m getting a nice coloured mono aretha the month after. If it’d had been followed up by something of the derisory standard of essentials March-September I’d have been majorly pissed off!
I'm really not trying to insult anyone here, but how was announcing the next 3 months of Essentials a scam? From what I recall from that day, VMP made the announcement, everyone freaked out, and then there was discussion pretty early on about whether it was exclusive. I don't recall when the QOTSA announcement about a standard edition came out but I don't believe there was a huge gap.

So what was unethical? Did VMP say they were the only ones to get this reissue? Would it have been better if they waited till yesterday to tell everyone about getting Songs for the Deaf? For people that signed up for the 3 months but then wanted to back out, were any refunds or cancellations denied?

I feel like a lot of companies play this exclusivity/FOMO game. I fell for it with Fat Beats when they reissued Step In the Arena by Gang Starr. I thought it was exclusively through them, spent 35 bucks, then saw a plain black variant on Amazon a couple months later for a lot cheaper. Sure I felt bad about my own impulsive nature, but I'm not sure Fat Beats did anything unethical either.

I'm rambling a bit, but I am genuinely curious what was really wrong about them announcing titles in advance like they did. Did it stoke FOMO? Absolutely. Did they likely get a ton of new customers who might even still believe that this is the way to get Songs for the Deaf? I am sure. I just don't beleive, personally, that this is a scam. I beleive there is likely some truth to them wanting to get the numbers early on how. many they would need pressed. Otherwise, we would all be in here screaming about how they are so short sighted and poorly run for not having enough copies of such a sought after record to go around, etc. Etc.

Or maybe I'm just an apologist and a shill.

Back