Television

It’s so good I’m almost personally offended when it’s not #1 on people’s best TV of the year lists.

It’s not only fun and good TV, it just has so much to say about race and modern America. The degree of difficulty was off the charts to pull off this show and they’re crushing it.

I don't think it got any Golden Globe nominations

It’s so good I’m almost personally offended when it’s not #1 on people’s best TV of the year lists.
Watchmen has been better than I expected, but it's nowhere close to the best show of the year. The big reveals have been telegraphed miles away and I have fears of how it will stick the landing with so many threads still up in the air. Not to mention that I'm sure Alan Moore hates it since it clearly misses the mark of the original work. It's very good but flawed, and nowhere on the level of shows like Fleabag, Chernobyl, When They See Us, or even Mr. Robot.

Last edited:
I watched this week's Mr. Robot.
I loved the redistribution of wealth scene. But mainly:

CARLY SLAY LEGENDSEN!!!!!

OMG! I was laughing and yelling at the tv, "HURRY UP, GET ON THE PLANE!" And although I really wish they ended up together, that was brilliant.

I smiled hugely through a lot of that episode.

Best. Show. Ever.

I watched this week's Mr. Robot.
I loved the redistribution of wealth scene. But mainly:

CARLY SLAY LEGENDSEN!!!!!

OMG! I was laughing and yelling at the tv, "HURRY UP, GET ON THE PLANE!" And although I really wish they ended up together, that was brilliant.

I smiled hugely through a lot of that episode.

Best. Show. Ever.
Weirdly I thought of you when that song started

It’s not only fun and good TV, it just has so much to say about race and modern America. The degree of difficulty was off the charts to pull off this show and they’re crushing it.

While it’s certainly one of my top shows of the year, and of the decade as well, I think it’s disadvantaged coming out as late as it did. For a show that was only 3/4 over when most critic’s rankings come out I think it placed quite well and was #2 on a few lists I’ve seen. It’s also decidedly more niche than something like Fleabag which is also tighter in focus and a fully original concept. The competition is really steep this year. Hopefully the finale is great but I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be. The ambiguity of Moore’s original ending really syncs up with Lindelof’s style.

I have not read the comics or seen the past movie. But I'm really enjoying this series. Regina King is a force!

I'm amazed at the story and how it is evolving. Regina experiencing her grandfather's memories is such a unique and fantastic way to give us the back story. That episode was insane and brilliant.

I have not read the comics or seen the past movie. But I'm really enjoying this series. Regina King is a force!

I'm amazed at the story and how it is evolving. Regina experiencing her grandfather's memories is such a unique and fantastic way to give us the back story. That episode was insane and brilliant.
All of the acting performances have been damn near perfect

Watchmen has been better than I expected, but it's nowhere close to the best show of the year. The big reveals have been telegraphed miles away and I have fears of how it will stick the landing with so many threads still up in the air. Not to mention that I'm sure Alan Moore hates it. It's very good but flawed, and nowhere on the level of shows like Fleabag, Chernobyl, When They See Us, or even Mr. Robot.
I respectfully disagree. The twists genuinely have surprised me. The contextualization into the larger Watchmen narrative I’ve found to be brilliant, the social commentary spot on, and based on the ending of The Leftovers, I think they can and will stick the landing. Also, Alan Moore probably does hate it but there was not gonna a be a scenario in which he didn’t. All those other shows you mentioned are also pretty wonderful but none have engrossed me the way HBO’s Watchmen have.

I respectfully disagree. The twists genuinely have surprised me. The contextualization into the larger Watchmen narrative I’ve found to be brilliant, the social commentary spot on, and based on the ending of The Leftovers, I think they can and will stick the landing. Also, Alan Moore probably does hate it but there was not gonna a be a scenario in which he didn’t. All those other shows you mentioned are also pretty wonderful but none have engrossed me the way HBO’s Watchmen have.
Cal being Dr. Manhattan was extremely obvious imo, from the moment he explained death to the kids. It was so cold and matter of fact, and Manhattan is the only character in the Watchmen universe that talks like that. Also the Silk Spectre episode was filled with Cal is Manhattan hints, from Laurie telling Angela how attractive Cal is, to the giant blue dildo being called Excalibur (as in Laurie's Ex is Cal Abar) Also the only two people who claimed Manhattan couldnt take human form were Angela and Cal. Finally how else would Cal have saved Angela during the White Night? He was outmanned and isnt trained like Angela is. Clearly something else was going on.

Jeremy Irons as a trapped Ozymandias was also extremely obvious from the jump. I did assume he was trapped on Mars in a Dr Manhattan created land and not Europa, but that's a minor detail imo.

There are a few other things that seem obvious so far but havent been proven yet (specifically the connections between Veidt and Trieu, and Trieu and the 7th Kavalry) , so I'll wait for the final episode for those.

As for Moore hating it, I agree of course he was going to either way, but I specifically mean the way they are handling the core point of Watchmen. Real people are flawed, and that goes double for anyone wanting to put a mask on and play superhero. Angela is a perfectly clean hero so far and retconning Hooded Justice into a perfect hero instead of the flawed character he is hinted at in the comics (although I do love the way they handled it to fit their story), it's just not the same story Moore was telling.

I do agree that they are doing a wonderful job incorporating the old Watchmen parts into the story. Theyve handled Laurie, Ozymandias, Nostalgia, Manhattan and Rorschach wonderfully into this new world. Also the social commentary is fantastic (if not a bit heavy handed) and draws wonderful parallels between the cold war or the original to the race war of now. It's a really good show and much better than I could have hoped, but being based off of one of the greatest graphic novels of all time holds it to a higher standard imo and those glaring flaws are holding it back from best show of the year.

Last edited:
Cal being Dr. Manhattan was extremely obvious imo, from the moment he explained death to the kids. It was so cold and matter of fact, and Manhattan is the only character in the Watchmen universe that talks like that. Also the Silk Spectre episode was filled with Cal is Manhattan hints, from Laurie telling Angela how attractive Cal is, to the giant blue dildo being called Excalibur (as in Laurie's Ex is Cal Abar) Also the only two people who claimed Manhattan couldnt take human form were Angela and Cal. Finally how else would Cal have saved Angela during the White Night? He was outmanned and isnt trained like Angela is. Clearly something else was going on.
Jeremy Irons as a trapped Ozymandis was also extremely obvious from the jump. I did assume he was trapped on Mars in a Dr Manhattan created land and not Europa, but that's a minor detail imo.

There are a few other things that seem obvious so far but havent been proven yet, so I'll wait for the final episode for those.

As for Moore hating it, I agree of course he was going to either way, but I specifically mean the way they are handling the core point of Watchmen. Real people are flawed, and that goes double for anyone wanting to put a mask on and play superhero. Angela is a perfectly clean hero so far and retconning Hooded Justice into a perfect hero instead of the flawed character he is hinted at in the comics (although I do love the way they handled it to fit their story), it's just not the same story Moore was telling.

I do agree that they are doing a wonderful job incorporating the old Watchmen parts into the story. Theyve handled Laurie, Ozymandis, Manhattan and Rorschach wonderfully into this new world. Also the social commentary is fantastic (if not a bit heavy handed) and draws wonderful parallels between the cold war or the original to the race war of now. It's a really good show and much better than I could have hoped, but being based off of one of the greatest graphic novels of all time holds it to a higher standard imo and those glaring flaws are holding it back from best show of the year.
LOL! I am perhaps a bit daft. I did not pick up on those clues until after the the fact (and even still it took me reading Alan Sepinwall’s write up on the episode to point out many of these to me. The vibrator clue in the supplemental blog made me laugh) I guess I didn’t realize I needed to be looking for Dr. Manhattan amongst the human as the idea of him forsaking humankind made sense to me.

LOL! I am perhaps a bit daft. I did not pick up on those clues until after the the fact (and even still it took me reading Alan Sepinwall’s write up on the episode to point out many of these to me. The vibrator clue in the supplemental blog made me laugh) I guess I didn’t realize I needed to be looking for Dr. Manhattan amongst the human as the idea of him forsaking humankind made sense to me.
I assumed going in that there wouldnt be a Watchmen show without it's most important character, so maybe I was looking for hints more than the casual viewer. Laurie's comments about Cal was when I was pretty sure Cal was Manhattan. Before that I thought Will Reeves might have been Manhattan

Last edited:
@Teeeee yeah same. I was waiting to see your reaction, so I didn’t want to spoil what the song was.

I screeched at the TV. I then pumped my fist in the air, sang along, yelled a lot and smiled so wide for the entirety of that scene that I thought I might break my smile. I then wanted to text, call and email everyone I know to say how EPIC that scene was. Instead, I looked at Bob. and sang really loudly at him.

I screeched at the TV. I then pumped my fist in the air, sang along, yelled a lot and smiled so wide for the entirety of that scene that I thought I might break my smile. I then wanted to text, call and email everyone I know to say how EPIC that scene was. Instead, I looked at Bob. and sang really loudly at him.
I got so excited when I heard it start in the background, and just loved that sequence. Although I wish they were together, they both got a certain kind of happiness they needed in those final moments. I told my gf about the song, and she didn’t seem to get why it was a big deal...

I got so excited when I heard it start in the background, and just loved that sequence. Although I wish they were together, they both got a certain kind of happiness they needed in those final moments. I told my gf about the song, and she didn’t seem to get why it was a big deal...

I, too, really wished they had ended up together. But at least she finally got some sleep!!!!

I swear I think I was smiling so hard, I was crying.

I do like Watchmen a lot, and it's gotten even better as it's gone along. But I don't think it's perfect. The newest episode was good and all, but I felt it lacked a punch in the emotional department when it clearly was trying to make you feel something. Just didn't land really for me. I am wondering though how it wraps up and if it'll feel satisfying at the end cause as far as I know this is probably just a one season thing, right?

Back