Television

Bull Shannon

Watchmen is superb. Truly inventive television.

Mr. Robot season 4 has been one of the most satisfying payoffs I've ever experienced in tv. So extremely entertaining.

The Mandalorian is junk. McDonald's in tv form.
Interesting thing is someone on twitter compared Mandalorian to Xena or Incredible Hulk, and I think they're onto something. I can't tell if it's a feature or a bug, but in today's more-serialized, grand-story format of television storytelling, it's kinda nice to have a show that is very "show up here this week, have adventure with this week's guest stars, get back on the road." I don't find the Mandalorian to be very interesting as a character, so my enjoyment of each episode depends entirely on the story-of-the-week, but I'm sticking with it.

ayayrawn

Interesting thing is someone on twitter compared Mandalorian to Xena or Incredible Hulk, and I think they're onto something. I can't tell if it's a feature or a bug, but in today's more-serialized, grand-story format of television storytelling, it's kinda nice to have a show that is very "show up here this week, have adventure with this week's guest stars, get back on the road." I don't find the Mandalorian to be very interesting as a character, so my enjoyment of each episode depends entirely on the story-of-the-week, but I'm sticking with it.
I'm fine with an adventure of the week format if the show has an overarching conflict, or if there were characters of any substance, but so far (with 2 episodes left this season) it has neither.

Ericj32

Finally catching up on some great shows in the past month or so:

Barry - loved the first season of this show; the second season was good, too, but I think maybe the freshness of it is wearing off a little bit; I find the LA gang storylines really boring. It’s starting to feel like there are too many characters and plotlines so everything feels a little thin except for Barry, Hank, and Fuches; I barely know anything about the other people in the acting class, including Barry’s own roommates - just seems odd

Fleabag - trudged through the first season bit didn’t really enjoy it much until the last episode. Second season was much better. Loved the fearless discussions about religion and more screen time for Olivia Colman. The finale of the second season was really satisfying.

Killing Eve - watched first season- waiting for second season on Hulu. Loved this, too. The first five minutes or so of the first episode had me hooked. Jodie Comer is so unpredictable. Glad to hear season 2 will be available soon on hulu.

Just started Succession two days ago. I’m almost halfway through Season 1 and loving it so far. I don’t find it as hard to watch or depressing as I’d heard others say, but maybe it gets heavier later? Anyway, Shiv is my favorite character so far, but I also really like Kendall. It’s a far more subtle performance than Culkin’s Roman, at least so far, anyway.

Waiting for Watchmen to finish so I can binge it.

Thanks to everyone here for the great recommendations!!

Indymisanthrope

The Mandalorian is junk. McDonald's in tv form.
I'm fine with an adventure of the week format if the show has an overarching conflict, or if there were characters of any substance, but so far (with 2 episodes left this season) it has neither.
I mean yea, its Star Wars. Doesnt mean it's not a ton of fun.
Bear in mind that this is a property owned by a company that makes children's fare. Light serialization that a seven year old can follow is a tall order. Sure, it's a little shallow for those of us who have grown used to the golden age of TV, but it's got high production values, cool characters, fun action set pieces, and a little bit of mystery to keep you coming back for more. Want intricate plotting? Feel free to revisit Phantom Menace's trade negotiations, Jedi Council deliberations, and Senate intrigue.

Woob_woob

Bear in mind that this is a property owned by a company that makes children's fare. Light serialization that a seven year old can follow is a tall order. Sure, it's a little shallow for those of us who have grown used to the golden age of TV, but it's got high production values, cool characters, fun action set pieces, and a little bit of mystery to keep you coming back for more. Want intricate plotting? Feel free to revisit Phantom Menace's trade negotiations, Jedi Council deliberations, and Senate intrigue.
Even before Star Wars was owned by Disney it was already children's fare

mcherry

🥑
Admin
Hubs and I had been watching Mandalorian on our own but put it on for the kids last night. I love seeing kid takes. The joy on my youngest’s face as she took in baby yoda (are we still spoiler tagging this?) was awesome.

AnthonyI

Right? Saw a plush toy on preorder for May. Disney didn’t think people would be wanting this stuff for Xmas?
My wife grabbed some from I think a Walmart pre-order, the POP Figure was only $9.99...........funny, we got one for each of our "children" 25, 21 & 15 because their all giddy over small fry, lol

Woob_woob

Right? Saw a plush toy on preorder for May. Disney didn’t think people would be wanting this stuff for Xmas?
I think I saw something explaining that the reason for this is they didnt want any spoilers of the lil guy getting out. Star Wars fans are notorious for using toy guides to figure out spoilers ahead of time.

zombie.modernist

I think I saw something explaining that the reason for this is they didnt want any spoilers of the lil guy getting out. Star Wars fans are notorious for using toy guides to figure out spoilers ahead of time.
Yeah, and it turned out to be a pretty genius move too. I guess some analysts would say that they’re losing out on a lot of merchandise money which is where the real cash is for Star Wars, but many ways they organically allowed the character to drive word of mouth promotion for a show nobody was asking for on a service nobody was asking for either.

Over thanksgiving in my hometown I heard the show mentioned in public a total of 5 times, from either friends or strangers, it’s got incredible buzz for something that’s only had a few episodes. I think this is what lots of the detractors don’t like— that the show itself doesn’t have the intrigue or innovation of some of the better shows on air but gets more hype. Personally I’m fine with the nostalgia heavy and homage heavy nature of the show. It’s really just a big tribute to Star Wars which is acceptable at 40 mins a week. I totally don’t think that’s the direction the film franchise should go in, but I think if you’re a fan it would be hard not to smile at many points in the show.

Indymisanthrope

I think this is what lots of the detractors don’t like— that the show itself doesn’t have the intrigue or innovation of some of the better shows on air but gets more hype.
If I have one criticism of it, it's that some of the characters are a little too recognizably Earth-human, like from our Earth, even some of the non-human ones. Like in the movies most of the characters are relatably human, but there's a suspension of disbelief that they really come from different worlds and alien contexts. But some of the show's characters (the bounty from the opening of the first episode, Cara Dune, a guest spot from *checks notes* Pillboi, to name a few) just don't have that quality. It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly what it is -- maybe a limitation of the format, maybe the actors themselves, maybe the script -- but there are moments here and there where it feels like "Why are we doing jokes about peeing in space toilets?" It's not the content itself, but the delivery that sometimes feels a little less...I don't know, heightened? than it should.

Goatfish

@Goatfish - I finished S2 of Succession last night. Holy shit.
Waiting for S3 is going to be torture. Someone make sure Brian Cox stays healthy. Acting performances just keep getting better, and it's truly a credit to the writing that I actually like some of these reprehensible characters, seeing how scarred they are from their circumstances.