Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Tim Hecker - Radio Amor

The ROTM is none other than
Tim_Hecker-Radio_Amor.jpg

Tim Hecker - Radio Amor

Though since no one guessed it I'll give the extra point to @Skalap for his rigorous sleuthing.

I will write the liner notes and explain all the hints on about an hour because I have work so have fun with the ROTM and I will be giving all the information by tonight
I've not heard this particular Hecker album. Is this the first AOTM in the ambient genre (I'd call Hecker something like "experimental drone ambient")?

The ROTM is none other than
Tim_Hecker-Radio_Amor.jpg

Tim Hecker - Radio Amor

Though since no one guessed it I'll give the extra point to @Skalap for his rigorous sleuthing.

I will write the liner notes and explain all the hints on about an hour because I have work so have fun with the ROTM and I will be giving all the information by tonight

Great! Even if I've read his name a few times I never gave him any attention. I guess this AotM is a great opportunity to discover his music. Thank you Dukey and congrats with the clues. With a song called Azure Azure I now understand the Blue clue.

Explanations
Clue 1: Jaiden was meant to show it was Canada.. but the distance is the distance from Montreal to Moncton to Halifax, the 3 cities it was recorded in
Clue 2: Came out before Duke Nukem Forever came out
Clue 3: the first season of the anime came out in 2003.. the year radio amor came out
Clue 4: the specific episode of Drake and Josh that is from is called "Really Big Shrimp". Radio Amor has a song called "Song of the Highwire Shrimper"
Clue 5: There is literally a song called "Careless Whispers"
Clue 6: "(They Call Me) Jimmy"... Jimmy Snuka
Clue 7: The Alva Noto album that's from was released on Millie Plateaux.. where Radio Amor was first released
Clue 8: Donald pierce was played by Boyd Holbrook in Logan, he also was in a film called "The Free World" which Tim Hecker did the music for
Clue 9: Azure Azure
Clue 10: 8.3, no BNM
Clue 11: "Shipyards of La Ceiba". La Ceiba is a port city in Honduras
Clue 12: Radio Amor and the song the Star compass
Clue 13: Ambient Drone is electronic or electronic adjacent

Clue 1: Jaiden was meant to show it was Canada.. but the distance is the distance from Montreal to Moncton to Halifax, the 3 cities it was recorded in

Hey, I was actually driving the right way with one of my wild guesses!

Apparently, the distance between Denver and Austin is 1242 km.

Distance Between Denver and Surrounding Cities (scroll down to Austin)

(It's also the distance between Montreal, QC and Corner Brook, NL and from the center of Austria to the center of Ukraine)

first off: for the raffle
Capture.PNG
congrats @BjorgenFjorgen .. you have won a free copy of the album (the hard part though is that bandcamp shipping to canada seems like it will be difficult and i might just have to send it some other way, if you know how i could do that or even just a way to make it up to you for the win, let me know in DMs)..

now onto the liner notes
When I was trying to pick my record for Needles and Grooves, as anyone could have expected, I fidgeted. Radio Amor was actually one of the first choices I came up with when I was planning months ago, but I often put it to the backside, wondering if it really represented me, if I was doing my best to show you something truly perfect or unique or surprising. I wondered about many punk albums or hip hop albums or emo albums that I felt would have fit what kind of specific idea people thought of when they thought of me. But by the end of the day Tim Hecker just felt like the perfect choice, I listened again, and I fell in love again.

Tim Hecker wasn’t completely new to music, he had one pretty alright album in Haunt Me and some semi notable techno work under Jetone, but something about that work felt off, it felt like it meandered a bit too much, that it didn’t have the emotional power I loved in him that made me fall in love with this specific blend of ambient music. Radio Amor was only one year later, and the leap between them is humongous

As I relistened to Radio Amor to discuss why I love it… I was going on a tangent on Wikipedia about Ambient Music codifier Brian Eno. Researching his ambient series and later ending up looking up a lot of details about the album “Apollo”, an album explicitly meant to be put next to images of the moon landing and the vastness of space. Radio Amor that amplified that fascination of knowing the beautiful things we have done in the world, the fact that we landed on the moon, the fact that we created so much important media, in a way it almost represents the earth as a whole more than the ocean many associate with. Beautiful textures hit you in almost the perfect pace, almost like a lucid dream. Even the stuff that would usually seem eerie to me feel almost normal and more like personal background dressing. Specifically, the main feature of the album, the vocal samples from what are presumed to be radio transmissions. There is intensity but it doesn’t feel intimidating. The music floats by wonderfully. Touching emotional chords and eerie ambient samples feel like you are just wandering along this weird world, inviting you to enjoy every little sound you hear. Its an album that invites you in on a journey, and boy is it a wonderful one.

first off: for the raffle
View attachment 79754
congrats @BjorgenFjorgen .. you have won a free copy of the album (the hard part though is that bandcamp shipping to canada seems like it will be difficult and i might just have to send it some other way, if you know how i could do that or even just a way to make it up to you for the win, let me know in DMs)..

now onto the liner notes
When I was trying to pick my record for Needles and Grooves, as anyone could have expected, I fidgeted. Radio Amor was actually one of the first choices I came up with when I was planning months ago, but I often put it to the backside, wondering if it really represented me, if I was doing my best to show you something truly perfect or unique or surprising. I wondered about many punk albums or hip hop albums or emo albums that I felt would have fit what kind of specific idea people thought of when they thought of me. But by the end of the day Tim Hecker just felt like the perfect choice, I listened again, and I fell in love again.

Tim Hecker wasn’t completely new to music, he had one pretty alright album in Haunt Me and some semi notable techno work under Jetone, but something about that work felt off, it felt like it meandered a bit too much, that it didn’t have the emotional power I loved in him that made me fall in love with this specific blend of ambient music. Radio Amor was only one year later, and the leap between them is humongous

As I relistened to Radio Amor to discuss why I love it… I was going on a tangent on Wikipedia about Ambient Music codifier Brian Eno. Researching his ambient series and later ending up looking up a lot of details about the album “Apollo”, an album explicitly meant to be put next to images of the moon landing and the vastness of space. Radio Amor that amplified that fascination of knowing the beautiful things we have done in the world, the fact that we landed on the moon, the fact that we created so much important media, in a way it almost represents the earth as a whole more than the ocean many associate with. Beautiful textures hit you in almost the perfect pace, almost like a lucid dream. Even the stuff that would usually seem eerie to me feel almost normal and more like personal background dressing. Specifically, the main feature of the album, the vocal samples from what are presumed to be radio transmissions. There is intensity but it doesn’t feel intimidating. The music floats by wonderfully. Touching emotional chords and eerie ambient samples feel like you are just wandering along this weird world, inviting you to enjoy every little sound you hear. Its an album that invites you in on a journey, and boy is it a wonderful one.
Wow, thanks Dukey! That's really generous of you! However, I just won @gaporter's raffle a couple months ago and I only really got a guess in here because of all of @Skalap's legwork and sleuthing, so if you're okay with it, I'd like to pass it on to @Skalap or have you draw again. Thanks!

Wow, thanks Dukey! That's really generous of you! However, I just won @gaporter's raffle a couple months ago and I only really got a guess in here because of all of @Skalap's legwork and sleuthing, so if you're okay with it, I'd like to pass it on to @Skalap or have you draw again. Thanks!
ok then... @Skalap do you wanna take this offer because if not than i did do another drawing and @dhodo won

Back