Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Tim Hecker - Radio Amor

As the sun rises on @Colonel_Angus ’s thread. I wanted to thank you again for this pick @duke86fan . I’d forgotten exactly how much I dig ambient music.

did you do a RIYL that i missed? I’d like to explore some more ambient that I don’t know.
no

but i can make an RIYL rn

RIYL:

Grouper - A I A Alien Observer
Fennesz - Endless Summer
Stars of the Lid - The Ballasted Orchestra
Fripp and Eno - No Pussyfooting
Natural Snow Buildings - Dance of the Moon and the Sun
Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts
Yellow Swans - Going Places
Roly Porter - Third Law
(also the disintegration loops by william basinski and EATEOT by the caretaker are obvious but those are super long and i just dont get them yet)

I previously mentioned Silent Hill but another thing I'm reminded of when listening to this album: a mostly-forgotten anime series called Boogiepop Phantom. It kind of has a subtle, ominous mood to it that I really dig. Almost like horror, but not in a slasher movie sense. More in what you don't see, or what lurks just beyond your peripheral, if that makes sense.

Anyways those are just some impressions it gives me. I don't have much by way of ambient music in my collection, so this is definitely a welcome addition. Thanks for helping expand my horizons, dukey.

I previously mentioned Silent Hill but another thing I'm reminded of when listening to this album: a mostly-forgotten anime series called Boogiepop Phantom. It kind of has a subtle, ominous mood to it that I really dig. Almost like horror, but not in a slasher movie sense. More in what you don't see, or what lurks just beyond your peripheral, if that makes sense.
its actually cool you mentioned boogiepop seeing as that series got a revival with "boogiepop and others" in 2019 (since i previously had a convo about this involving kinos journey)

also its interesting that you have a more.. dark and haunted kind of sound to it, i definitely see it but i also see a kind of beautiful melancholy.. probably the very obvious eno influence all over the album.. its not quite the full on horror movie of say the haxan cloak's excavation or roly porter's third law or even tim heckers own later album "virgins" (fantastic album btw and was the album that originally got me into him). i think its more of a perspective thing

its actually cool you mentioned boogiepop seeing as that series got a revival with "boogiepop and others" in 2019 (since i previously had a convo about this involving kinos journey)

also its interesting that you have a more.. dark and haunted kind of sound to it, i definitely see it but i also see a kind of beautiful melancholy.. probably the very obvious eno influence all over the album.. its not quite the full on horror movie of say the haxan cloak's excavation or roly porter's third law or even tim heckers own later album "virgins" (fantastic album btw and was the album that originally got me into him). i think its more of a perspective thing

There's a definite beauty to the sound, it kind of reminds me of dusk or twilight, which might also be another reason why I find it to have a sense of darkness to it. I'll definitely check out his album Virgins.

Also: holy crap I had no idea there was a new Boogiepop series. I've been mostly out of the anime loop in recent years but back in the day I was obsessed with Boogiepop: collecting the different manga, importing Kouji Ogata art books from Yahoo Japan auctions, even getting a fansub of the cheesy live-action movie (on VHS good lord I am old). Looks like it's on Crunchyroll, I definitely have to check this out.

Back