Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Tim Hecker - Radio Amor

duke86fan

Hello everyone, it looks like i was picked for the first ROTM for 2021, its hard to start these openings so im going to make it blunt, i will be giving a good amount of hints over the next few weeks and everyone will try to guess what record it is.

everyone who puts in a guess has a chance of winning the record, and the person who guesses the album correctly has 2 votes in the random wheel instead of 1, if you already have the album either you can tell me to give it to whoever you feel should have it OR you can replace it with another record of a similar price you want.

tenor.gif

fidget fidget fidget

The exact date for the announcement is still hard to ascertain because its hard to think of how long it might take to figure out what my pick is BUT i am planning on announcing the record on December 21st but it could be shortened to December 14th if you are smart enough to figure out what the record is by then

good luck everyone, have fun, and post whatever dumb shit you want

The Record of the Month is Radio Amor by Canadian Ambient artist Tim Hecker
a3637143678_10.jpg

When I was trying to pick my record for Needles and Grooves, as anyone could have expected, I fidgeted. Radio Amor was actually one of the first choices I came up with when I was planning months ago, but I often put it to the backside, wondering if it really represented me, if I was doing my best to show you something truly perfect or unique or surprising. I wondered about many punk albums or hip hop albums or emo albums that I felt would have fit what kind of specific idea people thought of when they thought of me. But by the end of the day Tim Hecker just felt like the perfect choice, I listened again, and I fell in love again.

Tim Hecker wasn’t completely new to music, he had one pretty alright album in Haunt Me and some semi notable techno work under Jetone, but something about that work felt off, it felt like it meandered a bit too much, that it didn’t have the emotional power I loved in him that made me fall in love with this specific blend of ambient music. Radio Amor was only one year later, and the leap between them is humongous

As I relistened to Radio Amor to discuss why I love it… I was going on a tangent on Wikipedia about Ambient Music codifier Brian Eno. Researching his ambient series and later ending up looking up a lot of details about the album “Apollo”, an album explicitly meant to be put next to images of the moon landing and the vastness of space. Radio Amor had amplified that fascination of knowing the beautiful things we have done in the world, the fact that we landed on the moon, the fact that we created so much important media, in a way it almost represents the earth as a whole more than the ocean many associate with. Beautiful textures hit you in almost the perfect pace, almost like a lucid dream. Even the stuff that would usually seem eerie to me feel almost normal and more like personal background dressing. Specifically, the main feature of the album, the vocal samples from what are presumed to be radio transmissions. There is intensity but it doesn’t feel intimidating. The music floats by wonderfully. Touching emotional chords and eerie ambient samples feel like you are just wandering along this weird world, inviting you to enjoy every little sound you hear. Its an album that invites you in on a journey, and boy is it a wonderful one.

Listen and buy on Bandcamp (Approved by the label and gives you a lossless download):

Last edited:
Clues:
Clue 1: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 2: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 3: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 4: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 5: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 6: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 7: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 8: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 9: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 10: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 11: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 12: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Clue 13: Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 19 - January 2021 /// Anime, Anarchy, and Memes Edition
Guesses:

@Skalap Bloc Party - Silent Alarm/Michael Buble Christmas/Grouper - Ruins/Oneothrix Point Never - Returnal
@NewsFedora Alita: Battle Angel OST
@Thackeraye The Proclaimers - Sunshine on Leith
@scotthilk Ladyhawke - Anxiety
@Waitressboy The Weeknd - Star Boy
@Fleetwood-Matt Passion Pit - Gossamer/White Lung - It's the Evil
@Teeeee Anything by Paula Abdul
@dhodo 76:14 - Global Communication/Journey - Escape
@Lee Newman Russian Curcles - Empros/Rush - Clockwork Angels/Madlib - Shades of Blue
@Jan Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy/Bryan Adams - Christmas EP
@Turbo Carribou - Swim
@Murfocakes George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol I
@Rip_City The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land
@BjorgenFjorgen Tim Hecker - Ravedeath 1972
@ThePakoBuelna Tim Hecker - "Haunt Me, Haunt Me Do It Again"
@bettim84 Radiohead - The King of Limbs
@gaporter The XX - The XX
@panino Grouper - A I A: Dream Loss/Fennez - The Return Of Fenn O'Berg
@bfly Fennesz - Knoxville
@ByersVinyl Leftover Salmons - Euphoria

Last edited:
RIYL (a group of albums i feel you will probably love if you enjoyed this album):

Grouper - A I A Alien Observer
Fennesz - Endless Summer
Stars of the Lid - The Ballasted Orchestra
Fripp and Eno - No Pussyfooting
Natural Snow Buildings - Dance of the Moon and the Sun
Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts
Yellow Swans - Going Places
Roly Porter - Third Law
(also the disintegration loops by william basinski and EATEOT by the caretaker are obvious but those are super long and i just dont get them yet)

Last edited:
Back