Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

I really love the idea of a printable obi/fauxbi.

I think that we should keep a spreadsheet with the names of those who wants to participate. First one is picked randomly then each runner names her/his sucessor, from this list. It gives her/him time to pick a record, new release or not, check if the record is easy to find, start collecting interviews, etc...

Each runner will give hints, as much as she/he wants, and will have to keep the first posts updated with the guesses. During the whole month, people will keep discussing about the hints, asking questions, trying to figure out what is the record, arguing if an hot-dog is a sandwich and asking if it's Beck.

On the announcement day, the runner will update the first post to share all the needed information : name of the record of course, picture, where to buy the record, interviews, web pages where we can learn about the artist/band, the historical context if applicable, etc... She/he will also have to explain why she/he picked this record.

Then the new month starts and so on. Also, maybe we could reward the user who guessed the right record by offering her/him the chance to design the next obi/fauxbi?

What do you say?
Sounds like a plan. Where do I add myself?
Also. Are there any ground rules reagarding the picks (Easy to find, genre, era, repeated artists, etc)?

giphy.gif

Sounds like a plan. Where do I add myself?
Also. Are there any ground rules reagarding the picks (Easy to find, genre, era, repeated artists, etc)?

I don't think it's necessary to have any big rules except that the record must be widely available for all. BTW, it would be nice if we could support the artists/bands by purchasing the record through Bandcamp or her/his/their webshop.

@Lee Newman @Mr Moore @ThePakoBuelna yall heard about this? What do you think?

Just read through. Sounds interesting in the comparison to a book club but, if I'm honest, talk of extras, artprints, obis/fauxbis etc. sounds more than I'd likely be invested in, that's all fluff that quickly become clutter from VMP and others at my house. Sorry, that sounds like a real rain on people's parade but just wanted to be honest. But I'd love to participate in guessing and listening if that's ok?

@Lee Newman @Mr Moore @ThePakoBuelna yall heard about this? What do you think?

Thanks for tagging me! Hadn't seen this.

Sounds cool! I'm in, will be searching for stuff that is on vinyl(because let's face it, much of it isn't :cry:). Would be awesome if in the future we could start our own subscription service? Like someone else said before, if VMP did it, why can't we? :ROFLMAO:;)

Just read through. Sounds interesting in the comparison to a book club but, if I'm honest, talk of extras, artprints, obis/fauxbis etc. sounds more than I'd likely be invested in, that's all fluff that quickly become clutter from VMP and others at my house. Sorry, that sounds like a real rain on people's parade but just wanted to be honest. But I'd love to participate in guessing and listening if that's ok?
Completely understandable

I like fauxbis but you do you

I totally understand. TBH, I didn't care for art prints, cocktails and fauxbis for the most part. The only thing that was a real asset to me was the Classics booklet.
However, I think the fauxbi and other related perks make more sense in this case (for those interested, of course), since it's the only way we have to "customize" the otherwise standard pressings of the records curated here. VMP (sticky pudding those guys, BTW) had exclusive pressings and color variants, which added to the feel of exclusivity of the club. I guess the perks is our way of trying to get close to that experience.
It's totally fine if folks don't want to follow along with all of that, though, the music comes first anyway

I'm 10,000% in, this sounds like a really great idea. I'd love to throw my cowboy hat in the ring as well for running a month / "picking" a ROTM, or however the hell we decide to do this lol. In fact, depending on what guidelines we end up going with, I think I already have a pretty solid idea on what I'd choose 😜

I totally understand. TBH, I didn't care for art prints, cocktails and fauxbis for the most part. The only thing that was a real asset to me was the Classics booklet.
However, I think the fauxbi and other related perks make more sense in this case (for those interested, of course), since it's the only way we have to "customize" the otherwise standard pressings of the records curated here. VMP (sticky pudding those guys, BTW) had exclusive pressings and color variants, which added to the feel of exclusivity of the club. I guess the perks is our way of trying to get close to that experience.
It's totally fine if folks don't want to follow along with all of that, though, the music comes first anyway
This is a cool idea and I agree. You can get as involved with it as you want.

I think for it to remain popular and doable we need to keep it simple anyway. The only mandatory perk should be that the person picking the records needs to provide the information that goes on the fauxbi. Then everyone is welcome to provide extra free perks with their picks if they feel inclined. Also, if a member doesn't want to print the fauxbi for themselves, it's a free country forum !

Is anyone skilled enough to create a fauxbi template ?

Back