Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

I think for it to remain popular and doable we need to keep it simple anyway. The only mandatory perk should be that the person picking the records needs to provide the information that goes on the fauxbi. Then everyone is welcome to provide extra free perks with their picks if they feel inclined. Also, if a member doesn't want to print the fauxbi for themselves, it's a free country forum !

Is anyone skilled enough to create a fauxbi template ?

I am ok to run the Test Album of The Month Vol.0 guess thread. Can you update the first post and the name of those who want to run the next AoTM? I think we should keep this thread as the brainstorming thread. We may have other ideas or needs to update the "rules" in the future so it's good to have a separate thread for that. I'll start a new thread for the June AoTM and, if it works well and it grows, @gouis will you mind to open a sub-forum for our N&G/N+G AoTMs? You all did an amazing job with this new forum and I certainly don't want to give you more work for now.

EDIT: Actually, the fauxbi can be designed after the AoTM is announced, right? We can imagine a AoTm thread runner list and a fauxbi designer list and they both work together?

I've added a list of candidates on the first post. Let me know in DM if I forgot you or took your "I'm in" in this thread for what it's not, it wasn't always understandable if you were excited by participating in guess thread or running a pick.

@gregathon I think we would all love to have you designing a fauxbi for this project if you're still inclined ? We would have until @Skalap 's pick is revealed to have it done, so it seems a reasonnable time frame ?

I've added a list of candidates on the first post. Let me know in DM if I forgot you or took your "I'm in" in this thread for what it's not, it wasn't always understandable if you were excited by participating in guess thread or running a pick.

@gregathon I think we would all love to have you designing a fauxbi for this project if you're still inclined ? We would have until @Skalap 's pick is revealed to have it done, so it seems a reasonnable time frame ?

Great! Thanks! I'll try to open the thread tonight. It will give us 2 weeks to see how it goes and I'll reveal the AoTM on May 31st. I'll nominate the next runner next week to give her/him some time to think about his pick.

The fauxbi makes this a really cool idea! Would be happy to add them to my existing records or purchase new ones and add them to it. Would be cool if the selector then has a little little listening note on the fauxbi about the album + a cool logo of needles & grooves (we have graphics designers in here right @Colonel_Angus or am I thinking of @Corycm ?).

My suggestion therefore is the person picking the record only picks items that are easy enough to purchase not some obscure rare record that would be really hard to get in your collection. I would urge the record selector to eventually also post links to where you can purchase them! EDIT: I see now you've already made this point! Very cool!!

I'd like to run a guess thread @ChristoBee !

So as much as im loving this new home - Gonna go work out how to turn off those email notifications now haha- Exactly what i did in old place years ago.

The fauxbi makes this a really cool idea! Would be happy to add them to my existing records or purchase new ones and add them to it. Would be cool if the selector then has a little little listening note on the fauxbi about the album + a cool logo of needles & grooves (we have graphics designers in here right @Colonel_Angus or am I thinking of @Corycm ?).

My suggestion therefore is the person picking the record only picks items that are easy enough to purchase not some obscure rare record that would be really hard to get in your collection. I would urge the record selector to eventually also post links to where you can purchase them! EDIT: I see now you've already made this point! Very cool!!

Some of our people are already working on the logo : https://www.needlesandgrooves.com/threads/look-feel.19/page-4#post-4255

I'm with you. Record must be easy to find and not only in a region of the world and not limited to a small number of copies.

Great! Thanks! I'll try to open the thread tonight. It will give us 2 weeks to see how it goes and I'll reveal the AoTM on May 31st. I'll nominate the next runner next week to give her/him some time to think about his pick.

All great ideas/points! Im 100% down for this, I think its a fantastic idea. I really like the idea of there being separate 'add-ons' which each member may/may not want to go out and add to their record purchase in order to create a little set. For example, with many of the VMP ROTM's or exclusives I ended up buying an autobiography of the artist or label (Townes Van Zandt, Tom Waits, Queen, etc). This would pair well with @Skalap's Faux-bi idea. So, for example, if/when it gets to my turn I could offer up:

- ROTM (with suggested websites to find it)
- PDF of a printable Faux-bi
- Book or Magazine suggestion based upon the ROTM (I will make sure its something I have already read to offer up reasons its worth getting).
- Art/Graphic Print (I use a lot of graphic based software as part of my job so I could potentially mash something together - Nothing too fancy)
- Drink suggestion (just taken this from VMP, Im not one to go out and buy ingredients for fancy cocktails but I know its something some people dig).

Great work @Skalap

Now just my little added thoughts. These sorts of ideas can work or just fade away with time (50/50 success rate i reckon).

So if we reach a point where individuals curating a pick and providing hints etc is getting difficult - We could group up to help with picks and hints etc. Or simply not have hints occasionally and brainstorm potential Albums we all might buy and pick a winner.

Don't get me wrong im all for current method, just a back up suggestion if required.

Great work @Skalap

Now just my little added thoughts. These sorts of ideas can work or just fade away with time (50/50 success rate i reckon).

So if we reach a point where individuals curating a pick and providing hints etc is getting difficult - We could group up to help with picks and hints etc. Or simply not have hints occasionally and brainstorm potential Albums we all might buy and pick a winner.

Don't get me wrong im all for current method, just a back up suggestion if required.

It must not be something too obscure. Every AoTM runner must think about a record that most of us may like or, at least, may like to discover. It's not easy but that's also why I suggested to name the next runner asap to give her/him time enough to think about the best possible pick.

I think this is a good idea, but should we do something different from VMP to make ours more unique?

100% with you. Someone suggested that the AoTM runner should say in a few words why she/he picked the record and have these words on the fauxbi, his avatar could be added too.

I'd happily pitch in to help design a fauxbi template. Once the forum has settled on a look and feel, we'll go from there.
Yes, I think this is very important. I think we should agree on a look and logo for the forum first, so that the fauxbi template matches it.
@mcherry @AnthonyI @Colonel_Angus are there any plans for brand design of the forum in the near future?

Yes, I think this is very important. I think we should agree on a look and logo for the forum first, so that the fauxbi template matches it.
@mcherry @AnthonyI @Colonel_Angus are there any plans for brand design of the forum in the near future?
There are, we're just working on making sure the nuts and bolts are squared away first.

There are, we're just working on making sure the nuts and bolts are squared away first.
Yes. Working on it. Still brainstorming.
Thanks!

So, can we all agree on waiting for the graphics of the forum to be set before we design our fauxbis?
Like someone said, we can start this now, and then design and print fauxbis for past ROTMs once we have set on a design.

Back