Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

Thanks!

So, can we all agree on waiting for the graphics of the forum to be set before we design our fauxbis?
Like someone said, we can start this now, and then design and print fauxbis for past ROTMs once we have set on a design.

Yep! I mean, we are still waiting for past VMP AoTM's new fauxbis to show up in the store :p

The real question I think we all forgot is one thing

Where are we gonna post our articles about the ROTM. So we have some interesting liner notes with quotes from old artist interviews and stuff

Is it fm gonna be through medium

Where are we gonna post our articles about the ROTM. So we have some interesting liner notes with quotes from old artist interviews and stuff

I have an idea for a part of the community that would be a bit to one side of the forum, that could showcase some of the talents a few of our members have in abundance and where something like this would sit quite nicely.

I was just going waiting until we established ourselves and the start up crew had a bit of a breather before I suggested it haha!

We do appreciate all the input, and we know it's been very exciting to have a new home, but also to see how well it's been received. That being said, we are taking a logical approach to what's on the "To Do" list. Our motto at the moment is "We want to do it right, not fast" ;)

I think we'll need to edit the first post of each AoTM thread with links and info about the AoTM once it's revealed. If someone wants to write an essay, it can be Medium or anything else, but I don't think it's fair to assume every thread runner will write an essay or liners notes, just a quick one for the fauxbi ?

@ChristoBee I think you will have update the first post asking candidates to @you in their posts when they want to be added to the runner list ;)

Done.

Hey all,

We (and I) love this idea. However we're thinking more of a book-club type thing rather than anything more involved. I think it was @Mr Moore who mentioned that doing all the other stuff seemed a bit much, and we agree.

This place is really in its nascent stages, and we don't want to get in over our heads. Things like official 'branding', printable obi strips, or even trying to do some kind of group-buy are way too much at this point. The idea of someone having a guess thread, and then writing up an personal essay on the forums, adding in links/videos, doing stuff like that is great.

We don't know what this place will eventually be, and sure it could grow into more than what it is now. But while we're figuring out all this stuff we don't want to get in over our heads and get into legal (or other) trouble. We love the enthusiasm we just want to keep things copacetic.

I've added a list of candidates on the first post. Let me know in DM if I forgot you or took your "I'm in" in this thread for what it's not, it wasn't always understandable if you were excited by participating in guess thread or running a pick.

@gregathon I think we would all love to have you designing a fauxbi for this project if you're still inclined ? We would have until @Skalap 's pick is revealed to have it done, so it seems a reasonnable time frame ?
I'd happily pitch in to help design a fauxbi template. Once the forum has settled on a look and feel, we'll go from there.

Yeah I am into working on a couple ideas this weekend, absolutely down to collaborate with @Alexander. (I like your logos as well, I wouldn't mind throwing my hat in the ring on a few options too, we'll see what time permits...) I'll probably come up with a couple layouts in InDesign and make some mock-ups of them this weekend (Sunday).

I'll peruse this thread again for content ideas, but basics for the exterior would include:
  • Artist & Title
  • N+G 001
  • N+G Logo
  • Who selected the album
  • Why they selected the album
Ideas for potential use of interior space:
  • If anyone wanted to prepare listening notes, perhaps like an abbreviated version of what accompanies the VMP Classic albums
  • Photos of the artist
  • Visual contributions
  • An "article" about the genre, time period, etc.

Any other thoughts?

Hey all,

We (and I) love this idea. However we're thinking more of a book-club type thing rather than anything more involved. I think it was @Mr Moore who mentioned that doing all the other stuff seemed a bit much, and we agree.

This place is really in its nascent stages, and we don't want to get in over our heads. Things like official 'branding', printable obi strips, or even trying to do some kind of group-buy are way too much at this point. The idea of someone having a guess thread, and then writing up an personal essay on the forums, adding in links/videos, doing stuff like that is great.

We don't know what this place will eventually be, and sure it could grow into more than what it is now. But while we're figuring out all this stuff we don't want to get in over our heads and get into legal (or other) trouble. We love the enthusiasm we just want to keep things copacetic.

Absolutely - just brainstorming at this point. Pretty sure that everything is up for discussion, etc. I'm not trying to replicate VMP fauxbi's but just use the concept to unify the club aspect. I'm not like the vmpforum.com guy trying to control a product. It would be a fun project for me, but if we want to wait before posting anything that's fine too.

Absolutely - just brainstorming at this point. Pretty sure that everything is up for discussion, etc. I'm not trying to replicate VMP fauxbi's but just use the concept to unify the club. I'm not like the vmpforums guys trying to jack anything up. It would be a fun project for me, but if we want to wait before posting anything that's fine too.
Yeah we'd like to wait on any kind of printable branding, especially using a logo (that doesn't even exist yet) or the like.

I would also like to encourage people to participate even if they don't want to do everything you're outlining. I think if someone wants to run a guess thread and pick a record they should be encouraged, even if they don't post listening notes or find unique pictures. I think running the thread and providing a personal essay or statement on why they chose it should be good enough. But that will be more up to you all.

I don't have time to catch up on this whole thread right now but here's a half-baked thought...when it's Person 1's month to run the ROTM, they pick a record and drop the hints, and send a copy of the record to Person 2. Person 2 listens and writes up their reactions, discussions ensue. Person 2 then becomes Person 1 the next month, and the next person on the list becomes Person 2.

Yeah I am into working on a couple ideas this weekend, absolutely down to collaborate with @Alexander. (I like your logos as well, I wouldn't mind throwing my hat in the ring on a few options too, we'll see what time permits...) I'll probably come up with a couple layouts in InDesign and make some mock-ups of them this weekend (Sunday).

I'll peruse this thread again for content ideas, but basics for the exterior would include:
  • Artist & Title
  • N+G 001
  • N+G Logo
  • Who selected the album
  • Why they selected the album
Ideas for potential use of interior space:
  • If anyone wanted to prepare listening notes, perhaps like an abbreviated version of what accompanies the VMP Classic albums
  • Photos of the artist
  • Visual contributions
  • An "article" about the genre, time period, etc.

Any other thoughts?
My only thought on this awesome book club style idea is that some categorisation will help to stop amazing suggestions being buried under all the enthusiasm. So, a country thread, an indie thread, a classical thread, jazz, blues, hip hop, house, drum and bass etc. It doesn’t need to get too niche, but I do think we have the opportunity to go far wider than just one monthly thread. Oh and also, a rule that the record of the month is accessible to streaming in some manner, YouTube, Spotify etc so that anyone without funds or access to the record can still engage in the discussion please.

My only thought on this awesome book club style idea is that some categorisation will help to stop amazing suggestions being buried under all the enthusiasm. So, a country thread, an indie thread, a classical thread, jazz, blues, hip hop, house, drum and bass etc. It doesn’t need to get too niche, but I do think we have the opportunity to go far wider than just one monthly thread. Oh and also, a rule that the record of the month is accessible to streaming in some manner, YouTube, Spotify etc so that anyone without funds or access to the record can still engage in the discussion please.
I don't know if we need like 8 guess threads running at the same time. That's pretty fractious.

And maybe, once a year we can vote on which of the records is the needlesandgrooves record of the year

I don't know if we need like 8 guess threads running at the same time. That's pretty fractious.
Well, why not? It’s not like we are restricted to stuff we can negotiate distribution rights to and get pressed. Guess threads rock so what’s wrong with more rocking? I don’t think we need to replicate evilcorp

Alternate thought:

Have the person running the thread come to the table with 3 or 4 unnamed albums of different genres and have the people participating vote on one of the genres. That would be the first "hint".

Alternate thought:

Have the person running the thread come to the table with 3 or 4 unnamed albums of different genres and have the people participating vote on one of the genres. That would be the first "hint".
Sure some people could do that. Don't think it should be a requirement though.

Yeah we'd like to wait on any kind of printable branding, especially using a logo (that doesn't even exist yet) or the like.

I would also like to encourage people to participate even if they don't want to do everything you're outlining. I think if someone wants to run a guess thread and pick a record they should be encouraged, even if they don't post listening notes or find unique pictures. I think running the thread and providing a personal essay or statement on why they chose it should be good enough. But that will be more up to you all.
Agree on this. Keeping it unofficial amongst yourselves is great. But things start getting printed and we’re into legal areas that we’re not ready for. I don’t know where N&G can go but as far as the name and branding, we want to be more intentional, especially when it comes time to find ways to keep this place funded and ad-free. Being a rotm club may not be the best direction for us.

So right now we think a book club style discussion is great, fun guess thread, album discussion. All great. Branding it is getting too far ahead of what we’re ready for.

It's fine if we aren't completely official by N+G.. the fauxbis are just a fun thing we can do if we like them and even if they don't have a logo on them (at first), a book club style thing where the person giving the record can do a fun add-on if they want is nice

Like for mine im definitely doing a fauxbi and an essay, but maybe even do more if I'm allowed to

Back