Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

Hey everyone! I love this idea! One of the elements I loved about VMP were the stories and write ups that went along with the music they presented. I'm no writer, but I'd love to throw my hat in the ring if anyone would like any assistance on graphic design for obis, faux-bis, booklets, articles layouts etc.

Hey everyone! I love this idea! One of the elements I loved about VMP were the stories and write ups that went along with the music they presented. I'm no writer, but I'd love to throw my hat in the ring if anyone would like any assistance on graphic design for obis, faux-bis, booklets, articles layouts etc.
You'd have to keep the rotm a secret as you make it

This sounds like a very good idea. However, if we want this to work, I think a couple of ground rules should be set.

1)We need real commitment from people. It's no use to suggest records if no one will actually buy and discuss them, otherwise this will be like a random music suggestions thread. How can we achieve this?
2) Involvement (see point 1) can be higher if we keep this to semi-easy to get records. I know it would be awesome to tell everyone about that white whale that sells for 2K on Discogs, but that's not realistic.
3) How do we choose the people who will select the album? Are we giving this "power" to anyone, or only to those who's taste and knowledge is trusted by the community?

I don't have the answers to any of this, but I see those 3 points to be very important for this to work.

Also the question of what rules does the have to be for it to be an ROTM

Mostly because the one idea I had turned out to not be available anywhere (new)

Yo, this is a dope idea. I’d love to contribute any way I can. It would be super rad to include some sort of “bonus” to make it feel like a little baby infant club. My idea is that after proof of purchase, for those that want it, a numbered physical art print for say a $5 donation to a fund setup for the club.

My thoughts on this was if my turn came along I would produce an artpiece to go with Record - Send each person that wants it a quality attachment - They can print off at work (or wherever) if they want. As we are an international forum, just figured this would be a little easier for all but adds a nice touch.

Yo, this is a dope idea. I’d love to contribute any way I can. It would be super rad to include some sort of “bonus” to make it feel like a little baby infant club. My idea is that after proof of purchase, for those that want it, a numbered physical art print for say a $5 donation to a fund setup for the club.

yes, these are all good points!! I think we, as a collective, could maybe design a printable PDF file of a stock card with this new club logo and a write-up by the main selector of whichever ROTM they picked.

EDIT: also what @ByersVinyl said above ^^ !!

My suggestion is to include perks and exclusivity. This needs to start small, maybe 200 albums or less. A willing individual would try to cut a deal with the artist or label for a purchase that large. This would take a member with financial security willing to invest in the idea but I think it would work out in the end. Once received they can package them with community created or artist commissioned OBI strip and numbered art print and then mail to individuals who ordered.

My suggestion is to include perks and exclusivity. This needs to starts small, maybe 200 albums or less. A willing individual would try to cut a deal with the artist or label for a purchase that large. This would take a member with financial security willing to invest in the idea but I think it would work out in the end. Once received they can package them with community created or artist commissioned OBI strip and numbered art print and then mail to individuals who ordered.
Oh we're not sending albums

We are choosing to buy the ROTM and with it get the perks

Right - yeah more like a book club, like somebody mentioned earlier. Pick an album, then those who don't already have it can choose to buy it if they want to play along. I'd imagine our picks would need to be somewhat easy to find if we want people to participate.

Which I’m totally cool with, but it’s essentially a vinyl suggestion thread ala the VMP album review thread created which I loved.

I think however, that in order for it to have a “club” aspect of it you need exclusivity and perks. Since I don’t think it’d be possible to offer exclusive pressings those perks should come in the way of OBI and print. I’m not sure how you do that without mailing albums out, this also solidifies participation as well as makes it easier to send the perks along with the album. Just rambling ideas out really, but I guess it all starts with an idea.

Which I’m totally cool with, but it’s essentially a vinyl suggestion thread ala the VMP album review thread created which I loved.

I think however, that in order for it to have a “club” aspect of it you need exclusivity and perks. Since I don’t think it’d be possible to offer exclusive pressings those perks should come in the way of OBI and print. I’m not sure how you do that without mailing albums out, this also solidifies participation as well as makes it easier to send the perks along with the album. Just rambling ideas out really, but I guess it all starts with an idea.
We were actually already thinking about someone printing an obi (in whatever way we want of course) and if the current choosing member has someone make art we'll get it, either as a printable file or something else

We were actually already thinking about someone printing an obi (in whatever way we want of course) and if the current choosing member has someone make art we'll get it, either as a printable file or something else

I think this is a better idea than my suggestion. My suggestion would have probably involved an actual business strategy but hey, lacking one seemed to work for VMP.

This could be nice. We could set up a standard layout for whichever perk(s) we settle on, and just adapt it to the ROTM (album and artist name, number in series, etc), and then send a PDF out so that people can print it and "customize" the standard pressing they bought.

I really love the idea of a printable obi/fauxbi.

I think that we should keep a spreadsheet with the names of those who wants to participate. First one is picked randomly then each runner names her/his sucessor, from this list. It gives her/him time to pick a record, new release or not, check if the record is easy to find, start collecting interviews, etc...

Each runner will give hints, as much as she/he wants, and will have to keep the first posts updated with the guesses. During the whole month, people will keep discussing about the hints, asking questions, trying to figure out what is the record, arguing if an hot-dog is a sandwich and asking if it's Beck.

On the announcement day, the runner will update the first post to share all the needed information : name of the record of course, picture, where to buy the record, interviews, web pages where we can learn about the artist/band, the historical context if applicable, etc... She/he will also have to explain why she/he picked this record.

Then the new month starts and so on. Also, maybe we could reward the user who guessed the right record by offering her/him the chance to design the next obi/fauxbi?

What do you say?

Last edited:
This could be nice. We could set up a standard layout for whichever perk(s) we settle on, and just adapt it to the ROTM (album and artist name, number in series, etc), and then send a PDF out so that people can print it and "customize" the standard pressing they bought.
That's what I initially had in mind. Ideally it would probably be like the VMP fauxbis 1.0
Because the printing is crowd sourced it would need to be formatted around an 8.5 x 11 (probably could do an alternate A sizes for our European friends) that could be printed and folded over the spine. Could have some written words or review on it or whatever else the community would like to add.

I think a lot of more boutique record stores do something like this to grade their used stuff:

Back