Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

This is a brilliant idea. I'm on board with this. Part of the thrill of a record club is expanding your musical horizons, and being pushed towards things you wouldn't listen to otherwise. So if a N&G ROTM thread does that for me each month then that's a winner.

Cool idea! So how would this work in practice? People send in nominations to some committee who then picks? Things to start thinking about:

- How to send nominations (forum thread, surveymonkey, google doc, email)?
--- Or maybe the committee picks on their own without soliciting suggestions?
- Who's on the committee? How long, how many people, holding elections, etc?
- What about setting up genre-specific months, in order to guarantee variety?

Brainstorm time y'all. (y)🤓

Cool idea! So how would this work in practice? People send in nominations to some committee who then picks? Things to start thinking about:

I'm thinking some of us apply or nominate people for it, then one of the mods chooses someone each month, arbitrary or randomly, then that person has 72h to give the go to someone to run the GT and give them the hints ?

Part of the thrill of a record club is expanding your musical horizons, and being pushed towards things you wouldn't listen to otherwise. So if a N&G ROTM thread does that for me each month then that's a winner.
So much this.

I get all three subs and very rarely swap because I've expanded my collection horizontally and vertically this way. I need help discovering African Jazz. I need help finding Brazilian Psych Rock. I don't need any help finding College Rock from the 90s. I'm here (and there) to grow in new directions.

This is/would be the best thing to come out of any of this. The curation from members would be unique, diverse and - likely - incredible. I also love the idea that you could support the artist directly, or even send a bit of love to your local brick and mortar if they do online sales. I'm all-in on this.

Tbh this is kinda confusing me

So you suggest an album for us to get and we all buy it

Just starting a full on record club is really hard

I think of it as a grassroots record club that bypasses the Corporate middleman. Members have one month to hype an album they feel is "essential" or classically overlooked. We get to play the guessing game complete with hints, etc. If we dig the music, discussion, backstory, we all have the option of buying the record directly from our own source, the artist, or from a recommended shop put forward by the OP. No membership. No commitment. Great suggestions and exploration.

Yo, this is a dope idea. I’d love to contribute any way I can. It would be super rad to include some sort of “bonus” to make it feel like a little baby infant club. My idea is that after proof of purchase, for those that want it, a numbered physical art print for say a $5 donation to a fund setup for the club.

The hard part is finding LPs that are still purchasable new.. I have a good choice but it's unavailable unless used for high prices

Could just keep it easy and whoever guesses correctly first picks the next months record.

He's saying a non-VMP record. We make our own picks and everyone just decides to buy them.
I like it. Each member has a month (is a month too long? two weeks?) and then once the album is revealed, the members can decide if they want to buy on their own accord based on the music?

Last edited:
Back