Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

ChristoBee

This is the thread to discuss the process of picking our own AotM, running guess threads, and everything accessory to Needles & Grooves Album of the Month.

How does this work ?

Every month a member of our community pick a record that they deem "essential listening". This is, of course, completely subjective, but the goal is to share our tastes and spread the love.

That member then proceed with a guessing game throughout the month preceding the reveal of their Album of the Month (AotM), the member that chose the previous month is tasked with helping them run the guess thread and keeping track of the guesses the participating members submit in the thread.

Around the 25th of the month the picker will reveal their pick, and add any additionnal information they wanna share about it : Further listening suggestions, associated playlists, available liner notes or even an essay they wrote to accompany their pick's reveal. There is no obligation at all, but every bit of additionnal info or enthusiasm is welcome !

The main rule is that the pick needs to be available to most of us in vinyl form without having to spend a fortune on Discogs to get it.

So a good rule of thumb is to check its availability on vinyl on the biggest retailers (Amazon US, UK, AUS for example) or on the artists website or bandcamp, that it does not cost way more than 30ish $/€/£ shipped internationally, and that there is at least 30 to 40 units in stock for that price.

Every month I'll proceed with a random draw among the candidates to chose the next picker. They'll have a full month to find their pick before launching their guess thread.

Example : if you're randomly drawn in January, you'll run your thread in February and your AotM will be March AotM. In March you'll help the April AotM picker run their thread.

Upcoming AotM & threads :

AotM Archive :
- Obi for Vol. 0
- Bonus track : Mark de Clive-Lowe AMA

- Obi for Vol. 1

- Obi for Vol. 2
- Bonus track : Khemmis AMA

- Obi for Vol. 3
- Bonus track : Nicole Atkins AMA

- Obi for Vol. 4
- Illustrated lyrics translation booklet

- Obi for Vol. 5
- Bonus Track : Ruen Brothers AMA

- Obi for Vol. 6

- Obi for Vol. 7
- Bonus Track : Clarence Clarity AMA

- Obi for Vol. 8

- Obi for Vol. 9

- Obi for Vol. 10

Candidates for running a AoTM (DM me to be added) :

1. @Selaws
2. @ByersVinyl
3. @Waitressboy
4. @Colonel_Angus
5. @Tys1
6. @duke86fan
7. @Alexander
8. @BuyMeVinyl
9. @Thackeraye
10. @A Lost Highway
11. @BjorgenFjorgen
12. @chrb98
13. @sjaygray
14. @wolflow
15. @Whiteout75
16. @bfly
17. @scotthilk
18. @blissfullychaotic
19. @TenderLovingKiller®
20. @plamtjeti
21. @MadLucas
22. @Mr Moore
23. @tonythegamer
24. @GelloJive
25. @Burley
26. @Joyless Division
27. @wmeugene
28. @AC Slaughter
29. @RowBearToe
30. @Lee Newman
31. @siremobunny
32. @Speedracer
33. @debianlinux
34. @Yer Ol' Uncle D
35. @johnpisme
36. @panino
37. @hatfieldpdx
38. @Rip_City

Last edited:
@Bohnjaggs seems that people are already on it ahahah! Cut/paste : I would love to see some kind of Record of the Month thread in this new forum. We could randomly pick one member that would run an AoTM thread, giving hints, etc... At the end of the month, he reveals his AoTM and gives links to where to buy the record. What do you think?

@ChristoBee please do, I don't know what to pick yet but will find something!

We can imagine an AoTM thread to every music genre but I am afraid we may lost people if we do so. Maybe we should limit ourselves to 2 for the moment? One for Records you Must Have and another for Crate Diggers pick? I wouldn't mind Hip-Hop, Electronic and World Music AoTMs in the future.

Yeah i was one of the ones who suggested - i’m not claiming credit of course but like idea a lot. Just needs to be readily accessible internationally if possible, i’m not a vinyl club member of anything and would guarantee i’d buy the first few for sure !
As long as i get a pick eventually.
Also rule should be even picker doesn’t own it - so work on curation would be no small thing - might take a couple of weeks or more as people get even more creative....

You could just set it up normally but cut copy the reddit info drops (they running it on reddit)

That way people without reddit can still see it and be involved :)

You could just set it up normally but cut copy the reddit info drops (they running it on reddit)

That way people without reddit can still see it and be involved :)

I don’t mind having a VMP guess thread on here also - But i thought this idea was a ROTM of the month curated by forum members. Hints until announcing and then each member buys record - so would be obtainable ? Or is that just my ideal version ?

I don’t mind having a VMP guess thread on here also - But i thought this idea was a ROTM of the month curated by forum members. Hints until announcing and then each member buys record - so would be obtainable ? Or is that just my ideal version ?

Are you saying you want it exactly like VMPs forum? Cause it wont happen if VMP doesnt elect to come here.

So youll have to cut copy whatever the staff say on reddit and make do until storf or someone comes here and continues doing those hint drops.

Are you saying you want it exactly like VMPs forum? Cause it wont happen if VMP doesnt elect to come here.

So youll have to cut copy whatever the staff say on reddit and make do until storf or someone comes here and continues doing those hint drops.
He's saying a non-VMP record. We make our own picks and everyone just decides to buy them.

No not at all - am i not making myself clear. Sorry rushing on phone whilst at work.
I’m suggesting we do our own forum ROTM. - Nowt to do with VMP - I cancelled yesterday.

It won't be connected to VMP in any way. They do their AoTM, as other clubs do, and we do ours. The difference is that while other clubs ships their AoTM, here we'll share the links to purchase the records from the artist/band via Bandcamp or any other web shop.

I don’t mind someone doing that elsewhere tho - hell in months to come maybe i will subscribe again who knows - i’ve left once before. Would take a big change of heart from me tho

I don’t mind someone doing that elsewhere tho - hell in months to come maybe i will subscribe again who knows - i’ve left once before. Would take a big change of heart from me tho

No matter how fkd in the head they are I still need those Lil Simz :(

And maybe that mannie fresh..

So I am doomed for atleast 3 more records

Back