Your Fave is Problematic

I'm hoping that since this article can't be found that it was a bogus article? Because ugh, how could she?
man, maybe it was- it's disappeared. or at least some of the material was off? because she definitely tweeted to Trump about Rush, while going to bat for Assange.

and she's also definitely implied in the past the embracing your sexuality means you can't be a feminist, saying things that support the trash notion that dressing a certain way is "asking for it."

Well, technically, no one made her put her child in the school which she claims forced her to vaccinate her child. She could've homeschooled. I'm sure she has the means to do that.

I know some people posted profile updates on this last night, but want to get it in this thread for posterity.

RE: Burger Records, The Growlers, The Frights, SWMRS, The Buttertones, and Cosmonauts.

I know some people posted profile updates on this last night, but want to get it in this thread for posterity.

RE: Burger Records, The Growlers, The Frights, SWMRS, The Buttertones, and Cosmonauts.
Someone just got right to the point on discogs

22B7861C-16E2-4731-9FAB-329CAD15FB99.jpeg

Was waffling on putting this in the Problematic thread (maybe we can just continue conversation there) but thought it was relevant to our conversation a week or two ago:

Shane Carruth tweeted this picture of the UC soundtrack a few weeks ago:

Recently, some more eagleeyed viewers noticed that in the lower right-hand corner is a restraining order from Amy Seimetz. The assumption is that, since Seimetz has a movie coming out, he's trying to rattle her, or drum up press to force her to have to address it in interviews. Which is incredibly odious, but also in line with having a restraining order.

This is very disappointing.

WTF and yikes and what a bummer to learn.

But...can you or someone else explain this line of thinking to me? I'm not a sociopath, so the thought of deliberately leaking that someone has filed a restraining order against me is completely mortifying, while the thought of doing it specifically to try to force that person to speak publicly about why they needed that restraining order sounds like an act of utter masochism.

Is this him playing victim? Trying to goad her into saying something that he can claim is slander? Just wants to sic some stans on her to inflict some damage irrespective of the long term cost? Like...what sort of 11-dimensional chess is it to out yourself as a potential abuser on Twitter?

Edit: Also, this all certainly re-contextualizes his "retirement" from filmmaking, huh?

Last edited:
WTF and yikes and what a bummer to learn.

But...can you or someone else explain this line of thinking to me? I'm not a sociopath, so the thought of deliberately leaking that someone has filed a restraining order against me is completely mortifying, while the thought of doing it specifically to try to force that person to speak publicly about why they needed that restraining order sounds like an act of utter masochism.

Is this him playing victim? Trying to goad her into saying something that he can claim is slander? Just wants to sic some stans on her to inflict some damage irrespective of the long term cost? Like...what sort of 11-dimensional chess is it to out yourself a potential abuser on Twitter?

(thanks for taking this over here)

I'm not going to claim to be an expert or to understand much about the situation, but in the thread where Priscilla Page calls it out, people surmise it may be a misguided attempt to elicit sympathy ("look at this terrible situation she's put me in") or more likely he's hoping she'll see it (or catch wind of it) and it'll elicit feelings of helplessness and terror. I mean, imagine being so threatened by a person that your only recourse is a restraining order. Now imagine that person inserting that order in a social media post. It wouldn't feel like a mistake. It doesn't seem like a specific message so much as a proven manipulator trying to get one more shot in.

It doesn't seem like a specific message so much as a proven manipulator trying to get one more shot in.
I get that part...in theory...but in practice, when that final shot is "Oh yeah, by the way, this order is because she says I'm guilty of domestic violence and probably none of you would have known that had I not taken this final shot," it's just a very weird self-own.

But yeah, looking through some of the responses to that Twitter thread, people are pointing out that he's been using the Upstream Color account to tweet some pretty bizarre things for a while now, so maybe he's just not behaving rationally, period.

Last edited:
I have no idea what’s going on and maybe the there is more info available regarding the situation that I am not privy to but this seems super speculative and presumptuous if people are only working off a small bit of a document that can be seen in this photo and drawing the conclusions you listed. I have no idea what is going on but I would not want to speculate without a lot more information especially when people are questioning his character.
Bit more context starting here, including that this is evidently not the first time she has sought an RO against him. At the very least, it's evidence of continued appeals to legal remedies for allegations of domestic violence. Beyond that, I agree that it's pretty difficult to read into his intentions in posting this, although it's too strange and too carefully composed to be accidental. I think there can be a presumption that the intent exists without knowing specifically what that intent is.
Have to confess, I totally missed the note on the record the first time I looked at the photo.

The more I look at it, the more I wonder if it's just supposed to be a juxtaposition of a soundtrack for a film featuring this woman, with the "Hope you know you are loved and appreciated today" message, alongside the TRO paperwork. As in, "Here's exactly how loved and appreciated I am."

If that's the obvious conclusion the rest of you have already reached, please forgive me for being slow on the uptake.

Have to confess, I totally missed the note on the record the first time I looked at the photo.

The more I look at it, the more I wonder if it's just supposed to be a juxtaposition of a soundtrack for a film featuring this woman, with the "Hope you know you are loved and appreciated today" message, alongside the TRO paperwork. As in, "Here's exactly how loved and appreciated I am."

If that's the obvious conclusion the rest of you have already reached, please forgive me for being slow on the uptake.
Again, it seems like people sifting through tea leaves to paint a narrative but I guess if he is gonna be messy and put this shit out there (purposefully or not) without context I can’t fault anyone for drawing these conclusions.

Again, it seems like people sifting through tea leaves to paint a narrative but I guess if he is gonna be messy and put this shit out there (purposefully or not) without context I can’t fault anyone for drawing these conclusions.
I really don’t know. One thing is clear: he definitely reads his mentions on Twitter, and the replies to that tweet are pretty assertive, but two weeks later he has yet to even acknowledge it.

Whatever exactly is up here, it’s weird.

I really don’t know. One thing is clear: he definitely reads his mentions on Twitter, and the replies to that tweet are pretty assertive, but two weeks later he has yet to even acknowledge it.

Whatever exactly is up here, it’s weird.
It sounds worse than the speculation.

It sounds worse than the speculation.

JFC. So he's straight-up unhinged.

Edit: In case anyone reads that as being dismissive about abuse by attributing it to mental illness, let me just be clear that I think he's probably a violent, shitty dude, and that there's something wrong with him that is dis-inhibiting his behavior, as evidenced by his recent interviews and online interactions.

JFC. So he's straight-up unhinged.

Edit: In case anyone reads that as being dismissive about abuse by attributing it to mental illness, let me just be clear that I think he's probably a violent, shitty dude, and that there's something wrong with him that is dis-inhibiting his behavior, as evidenced by his recent interviews and online interactions.
Sounds like there's email proof that he's a violent, shitty dude. These things are tough to read about someone whose art you've championed over the years. This certainly adds some context to what were (in hindsight) years of strange behavior that were always written off as the necessary quirks of a genius auteur at work. A little extra light enters the fray and all of a sudden the water looks awfully murky. One less weed in the flower garden I guess. I'd implore any Carruth fans to forgo watching Primer for the 20th (or in my case, 50th) time, and instead watch Seimetz's new film, She Dies Tomorrow. The buzz is incredible and, by all accounts, that's a few bucks you won't regret spending.

Back