Your Fave is Problematic

Sounds like there's email proof that he's a violent, shitty dude. These things are tough to read about someone whose art you've championed over the years. This certainly adds some context to what were (in hindsight) years of strange behavior that were always written off as the necessary quirks of a genius auteur at work. A little extra light enters the fray and all of a sudden the water looks awfully murky. One less weed in the flower garden I guess. I'd implore any Carruth fans to forgo watching Primer for the 20th (or in my case, 50th) time, and instead watch Seimetz's new film, She Dies Tomorrow. The buzz is incredible and, by all accounts, that's a few bucks you won't regret spending.
The thought that she's been enduring this, all while making a film about contagious fear, is really something.

I wasn't really familiar with the premise of the film yesterday when I was asking the questions above; now I can imagine that she probably wants it to stand on its own merits and not have it viewed the prism of what's been happening in her personal life. But man, that's difficult to ignore, once you know.

The thought that she's been enduring this, all while making a film about contagious fear, is really something.

I wasn't really familiar with the premise of the film yesterday when I was asking the questions above; now I can imagine that she probably wants it to stand on its own merits and not have it viewed the prism of what's been happening in her personal life. But man, that's difficult to ignore, once you know.
This has to be why he posted that picture to begin with, right? Outside of clouding her movie, I can't think of a single reason to put that picture out there. I guess when you're in a vindictive and abusive vacuum, those tendencies trump all logic. It's disgusting.

Looks like Hoops are breaking up again?!

basically what I gathered is that they removed the member who did some shit. That may have been why they first broke up/went on hiatus in 2017. Now they came back without that member but feel guilty because of some other actions by the remaining members which have not been disclosed. They may have glossed over the issue of that member who left and never addressed it initially and feel it’s not right to continue. Behind the scenes they could have just not taken it seriously enough and didn’t completely remove that other member from their lives. Basically still friends with the abuser.

this is a weird one but now I’m sad because I was really looking forward to their new album. I know bandcamp will make good to refund me.

Looks like Hoops are breaking up again?!

basically what I gathered is that they removed the member who did some shit. That may have been why they first broke up/went on hiatus in 2017. Now they came back without that member but feel guilty because of some other actions by the remaining members which have not been disclosed. They may have glossed over the issue of that member who left and never addressed it initially and feel it’s not right to continue. Behind the scenes they could have just not taken it seriously enough and didn’t completely remove that other member from their lives. Basically still friends with the abuser.

this is a weird one but now I’m sad because I was really looking forward to their new album. I know bandcamp will make good to refund me.

I didn't see anything about them cancelling the album, or do you think they'll shelve it?

It sounds worse than the speculation.

Well there goes me being a fan of his. I can't support that shit. I loved Upstream Color, but it's not worth holding that up when he's so tied into it. Like, he directed, wrote, starred in, and did the score for it. It's too hard to separate the art from the artist. So fuck it. This also is interesting cause it does possibly show why it's been so hard for him to make a new film. Now I don't even want that. I'd rather support Amy Seimetz's work.

Carruth's twitter has gone off the rails. He seems utterly committed to both smearing Amy Seimetz and destroying any goodwill people might have for him.

Mark Kozelek

tenor.gif

This isn’t surprising in the slightest given his past history, the way he harassed the music journalist Laura Snapes about 5 years back was pretty gross too.
True. But...
Were there signs he was a misogynistic abusive asshole prior to 2014? If there were, I must have had my fan boy blinders on. It sure seemed like he flipped a switch around that time, and let whatever demons he'd kept on a leash up to that point, run rampant. Take a run through the Red House Painters catalog, or put on Ghosts of the Great Highway (an album that soundtracked much of my 20's) and THEN look at what this man has become, and tell me it's not a shocker. He spent decades wearing the mask of one of the good ones. And I know I'm not alone when I say I have vivid memories that have his music woven into the DNA that are now ethereal effigy's, I'm incapable of burning. Too many car rides with Lily and Parrots blasting out open windows. Too many stoned singalongs to Carry Me Ohio. Talent needs a better screening process. Reading that story made it clear how dangerous someone like Kozelec can be. Because he spent decades grooming us to trust him.

True. But...
Were there signs he was a misogynistic abusive asshole prior to 2014? If there were, I must have had my fan boy blinders on. It sure seemed like he flipped a switch around that time, and let whatever demons he'd kept on a leash up to that point, run rampant. Take a run through the Red House Painters catalog, or put on Ghosts of the Great Highway (an album that soundtracked much of my 20's) and THEN look at what this man has become, and tell me it's not a shocker. He spent decades wearing the mask of one of the good ones. And I know I'm not alone when I say I have vivid memories that have his music woven into the DNA that are now ethereal effigy's, I'm incapable of burning. Too many car rides with Lily and Parrots blasting out open windows. Too many stoned singalongs to Carry Me Ohio. Talent needs a better screening process. Reading that story made it clear how dangerous someone like Kozelec can be. Because he spent decades grooming us to trust him.

Yeah I mean I don’t know and I think it’s almost entirely irrelevant. I’m not shocked now because that happened then.

I’m not a fan because when people started recommending them I googled, found that and thought nah, I’ll pass, there are enough shitbags in my collection that I found out about after I got into their music.

Yeah, I'm not aware of any warning signs before 2014 or so, whenever he lashed out at that journalist, had that immature spat with the War on Drugs, etc. I don't know if the success of Benji led to him feeling like he could do no wrong, or validated all his bullshit, or what. Everything he put out post-Benji was basically unlistenable and so entirely self-indulgent. Ghosts of the Great Highway was one of my favourite albums of all time, but I'll be putting it away. Hope the victims are doing okay.

Yeah I mean I don’t know and I think it’s almost entirely irrelevant. I’m not shocked now because that happened then.

I’m not a fan because when people started recommending them I googled, found that and thought nah, I’ll pass, there are enough shitbags in my collection that I found out about after I got into their music.
Yeah it's clearly not relevant to anyone post Benji, when he was practically advertising the fact he was a monster from neon lit signage. My question was more based in fandom (specifically, my own). Our idol culture (among other things) has led to countless abuses of human life, so I certainly think it's worth looking at to gain some perspective. I know I've been guilty of turning a blind eye to many instances where there were signs I only saw in hindsight (Louis CK being the most obvious), because I was blinded by talent. And personally I've found that discussing this stuff can really expose some of your own hypocrisies, which can hopefully lead to a change for the positive.

True. But...
I mean, I have a friend who met him at the coffee shop she was working at, went to hang out with him at his house because she loved his music and within 10 minutes he whipped his dick out. This was in 2007.

Back